Random n’at

1.  “Dear extreme couponers, the only thing you need 93 jars of is Nutella,” will be the fourth chapter in my forthcoming book, I Have My Deepest Thoughts While Licking the Inside of the Nutella Jar.

Have you watched that show on TLC?! One woman bought 93 bags of croutons. Another had an enormous stash of cat treats and SHE DOESN’T EVEN HAVE  A CAT!

What the effie?!

2. Have you lived? No, you haven’t. You haven’t lived until you’ve seen KDKA’s Jim Lokay running in slow motion while wearing a sumo suit for the KISS Morning Freakshow’s Slow Motion Mondays. I don’t want to give the ending away, but, BOOM!

I’d pay a cash dollar bill to see Wendy Bell do this.

3. I have never wanted a tattoo until this post put the idea of a Calvin and Hobbes tattoo into my brain: 21 Super Fun Calvin and Hobbes Tattoos!

I love slide #10 and I want to know what’s tattooed on her other foot.

(h/t Charles)

4. The celeb news sites are doing a good job of keeping tabs on Emma Watson while she’s in town filming The Perks of Being a Wallflower.

Gosh darn whippersnappers! Where’s John Malkovich FOR THE LOVE OF OLDSTERS!?

5. The Trib has some awesome pictures of what the inside of the Civic Arena looks like now. Kind of eerie.

6. Speaking of the arena, the family that bought the Pontiac Silverdome says they have a “special” idea to save the arena, even though they haven’t ever visited it or Pittsburgh.

Color me skeptical.

7. This the final year for the Kevin Gatons Memorial 5K Run and Walk on May 30 (my birthday, which is hereby canceled on account of I’m getting older), which raises funds for two scholarships given in his name. Kevin was an avid runner and the track coach at Greensburg Salem who died while running in 2006, leaving behind his wife and three young children.

Kevin’s wife remains an avid runner, recently finishing ninth in the marathon.

Help make the final year of the race a big success!

8. Last night was Glitzburgh’s fashion show fundraiser at Whim benefiting Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh and seen walking the runway were two Official Smoking Hot Burghers, Gina Cerilli and Elena LaQuatra. Gina tweeted this picture of the two of them with James Harrison while wearing his Super Bowl rings.

It’s nice how he trusts them not to run off with the rings because if that was me borrowing that bling? Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzing!

It’s a bird. It’s a plane. It’s a THIEF IN HEELS!

9. Burgher Sonni Abatta (I don’t care if she doesn’t live here anymore; she’s still a Burgher) got married last week!

Check her out in her wedding dress. We always knew she’d be a stunning bride.

10. Finally, Mike Rupp easily is one of the funniest pro athletes I follow on Twitter. Saturday, he tweeted his rapture outfit. Just in case.:

So funny, I forgive the hat, you traitor.

Let’s go, Bucs!

1. Scott
    May 23, 2011 1:09 pm

Regarding the Igloo, I have one thing to say about the “work” of Preservation Pittsburgh and their track record of adding value to the city:

Exhibit A: St. Nick’s church on Route 28. Giant, weed-infested EYESORE.

Great work, guys. I think if you’re going to “save” historic buildings, part of the deal is having a plan and money to actually maintain the building. The fact that they tout St. Nick’s on their website as an example of their fine work is even laughable.

Thank goodness we saved that precious church, a church who’s own congregation wanted to tear down. It only cost taxpayers millions due to required redesigns of the Rt 28 improvement project, all so we can drive past a gigantic crumbling weed farm each time we travel to and from the city.

And now these same folks want us to hand over the Igloo so that they can work their magic on it? Are you kidding me?

Step aside….the city is moving on.

2. Uncle Crappy
    May 23, 2011 1:42 pm

RE: Rupp’s hat. Ginny, he’s not a traitor if he’s cheering for his hometown team (which also happens to be the best team in baseball at the moment ahem). Go Tribe!

3. empirechick
    May 23, 2011 1:46 pm

Forget the Super Bowl rings, what kind of bling is on James’ pinky finger??

4. Lawrhi
    May 23, 2011 1:55 pm

According to one of their Facebooks, the bling on James’ pinly finger is one of the models to his right or left. They traded…seems like she done good on that trade.

5. Nate
    May 23, 2011 2:13 pm

The Rupper is from Cleveland. Give the poor man his Tribe. We do the same thing for Stan. It’s only fair.

6. red pen mama
    May 23, 2011 2:36 pm

Honestly, those people on Extreme Couponing are going to be on Hoarders: Buried Alive in a few years. Their organization is going to break down, and they will be Crazy Cat Treats ladies. It’s a sickness!

In the meantime, I’m going to go follow Mike Rupp. Twitter is for laughing!

7. Ex-Pat Pittsburgh Girl
    May 23, 2011 2:37 pm

@Scott – I’m with you on the old St. Nicholas Church. Although, I seem to recall hearing/reading that the Preservation Pittsburgh folks believe it is the State/city/someone-other-than-the-group-that-got-the-designation’s responsibility to pay for the maintenance of the historic building until the money or whatever needs to take place before they turn it into a fabulous museum that a small number of people will flock to due to the need to risk life and limb to visit. Either the Trib or PG had an article about the group complaining that PennDot has let the the building/site fall into disarray and should be sighted for benign neglect for not preserving the building properly.

8. bluzdude
    May 23, 2011 2:53 pm

I have to warn you against trying to make off with Harrison’s rings. If ever there was a guy you do NOT want chasing you with bad intent, he’s it. He runs like those crazy-ass zombies in 28 Days.

“Please, take the rings back! And here is MY ring, my wallet and my shoes… just let me live!

9. YinzerInExile
    May 23, 2011 2:58 pm

@Scott (Re: St. Nick) As opposed to all the other glorious scenery along 28??? Oh yes, the church really stands out as an eyesore.

Ginny — if you’d steal anything from Silverback, personally, you are a better woman than I. In heels, in flats, in *track* flats, for that matter, I’m far too fond of my spinal column to even look like I’m about to take an errant step :P

May 23, 2011 3:11 pm

people still make fish lips in pictures? that’s so facebook 2008.

11. Me
    May 23, 2011 3:37 pm

Oh my goodness, I watched “Extreme Couponing” for the first time this weekend. I agree with Red Pen Mama — those people are hoaders-in-the-making. There was one guy who was proud of his “toothpaste wall.” And then he went shopping and got another cartload. Sure it was free, but I don’t think he could use his entire stash in his life time. Then there were the “dumpster divers” who literally entered dumpsters to find coupons. It’s a whole lotta crazy. 60 hours per week to clip coupons and plan shopping trips? I’d rather pay for my shampoo. And eat what I want, not just what’s on sale.

12. Christina
    May 23, 2011 3:45 pm

And again (putting myself on repeat):

The point about St. Nicholas is not the outside, it is the INSIDE. The moment you find a way to take out and preserve the Maxo Vanka Murals … go ahead, take them out and then you can tear down the church immediatly. Nobody will say much against it. As long as the murals are in there – no way!

13. SpudMom
    May 23, 2011 4:04 pm

Christina,

But if the building is closed and no one is using it, what good are the murals to start with? If no one ever sees them, what is the value?

May 23, 2011 4:05 pm

3. Are the tattoo artists paying Watterson a commission for the right to use the characters he created and fought hard to keep from being turned into mugs and T-shirts and TV shows and such?

Somehow, I doubt it.

5-6: Please, dear God, can we just bulldoze the damn thing and be done with it already, or do we have to hear about until the Rapture? Or the next Rapture, whatever.

8. Gah, what are those women doing with their faces to make Harrison the purtiest one in the picture?

9. Meh, looks OK, I guess. I’m not into wedding dresses. Little black dresses? That’s a WHOLE NUTHER STORY.

10. I don’t care much* for pro football, but the neighbors’ son got drafted by the Bears, so I guess I’m taking sides. *Puts on Bears cap*

*–“much” = flying fig.

15. Kristie
    May 23, 2011 4:08 pm

Did you see the episode of Extreme Couponing that featured a guy from Monongahela? It was great – nebby old lady wearing a bubushka in an adjacent checkout line, Steelers gear hung in the Shop n Save & lots of Pittsburghese n’at.

16. Scott
    May 23, 2011 4:23 pm

Christina, you’re thinking of another St. Nicholas church in Millvale which houses the murals, which is on Maryland Avenue. I have visited to see them and yes, they are incredible. St. Nick’s the Eyesore is a different church looming directly over Rt 28.

YinzerInExile, you might want to visit your hometown occasionally. Next time you do, you’ll see that the entire Rt 28 corridor, with the exception of St. Nick’s, has been razed to accommodate the massive new Rt 28 project, which will be a brand new freeway all the way to downtown. The eyesore church is the only thing left standing.

Ex-PatPittsburghGirl, I read that article too, but it only supports my point which is Preservation Pittsburgh did not have a plan for upkeep of the church, nor did they have any support for saving it. In fact, they didn’t have a plan at all, which is why I think they are hiding behind a seemingly worthwhile cause but in reality doing more harm than good by creating these eyesores around town.

17. Scott
    May 23, 2011 4:24 pm

I need to check Roget’s for a synonym for “eyesore”…I’ve gone over quota with that descriptive.

18. empirechick
    May 23, 2011 4:31 pm

Christina, SpudMom, and all:

There are TWO St. Nick’s churches. The one with the Maxo Vanka murals is St. Nicholas Croation Catholic Church Millvale. It is alive and well, and the murals are in the process of being restored. More info can be found here: http://www.vankamurals.org/

The ugly one on 28 is St. Nick’s Troy Hill, and I completely agree that is an eyesore with no hope of being any kind of museum. All the pews and churchy stuff have been removed, and where would anyone park?

19. Christina
    May 23, 2011 4:38 pm

@Scott: Right … sorry. I overread the different location. I just jumped up since there have been discussions about what to do with the other St. Nicholas as well, because they are lacking money to save the murals, which need urgenly work done to preserve them.

@SpudmMom: There you go – different church. I should read better before I get angry ;)

20. YinzerInExile
    May 23, 2011 5:47 pm

@ Scott — I get there pretty frequently, actually. Thanks for caring.

And I don’t think “razed for transportation project” looks any worse than a (temporarily) forlorn church.

21. Scott
    May 23, 2011 7:01 pm

Thank you for your opinion, YIE. I’m sure I’m not the only one who would be interested in an explanation to your perspective that St. Nick’s crumbling state of disrepair is somehow “temporary”. I’d also love to know your thoughts on the millions of additional dollars the St. Nick’s money pit added to project planning costs for the Rt. 28 corridor improvement effort.

Also, I’d suggest you do some reading on the massive infrastructural improvements the Rt 28 project is bringing to the Allegheny Valley, including a world class bike and walking trail, riverfront parks and an comprehensive refresh of that entire 5 mile stretch. That you could possibly think these improvements are no improvement to the former condition of that corridor is an interesting perspective, to say the least.

22. Burgh Bird
    May 23, 2011 10:20 pm

Re: Extreme Couponing- According to a friend who works for a grocery store chain, there is a difference between being frugal/finding a great deal and out-right stealing. Extreme couponing is the latter. If a person leaves the store with over $1000 in product and has paid a grand total of $3 for it, it’s stealing. The manufacturers sponsoring the coupons are not reimbursing the store for anywhere near the amount that the bargain-hunters are getting away with.

23. Holy Crap!
    May 24, 2011 10:14 am

@Scott et al re St. Nicholas Church —

There’s an effort underway between PennDot, Lamar Advertising, a Croation heritage society and others to turn the site into an “Immigrants’ Museum” — to tell the story of all of the Burgh’s peoples… The Croatians are the driving force behind this effort. In the meantime, i believe the responsibility for upkeep is PennDot’s — Could be wrong there, but vandalism is already a huge problem.

Whether or not the place is torn down, the grotto behind it will be preserved and PennDot has committed to extending the Riverfront Trail up to this site and over to North Side communities — a very important amenity for neighborhoods that got severed from the rest of the city by the suburbanites’ highways! It’ll be a couple more years before this is resolved.

And in my opinion, during this interminable construction phase, St. Nick’s is no worse an eyesore than the rest of the orange-cone zone.

24. Holy Crap!
    May 24, 2011 10:15 am

Not “between PennDot, Lamar, etc.” but “among.” Arrrgh.

25. Scott
    May 24, 2011 11:04 am

HC!, let me clarify my point on St. Nicks. I have nothing against the church…quite the contrary, actually. What I have an issue with is Preservation Pittsburgh, going against all other involved groups’ opinions, including the diocese and the congregation, and forcing the issue to save the church. They did so despite having no plan and no money. Therefore, a building that was arguably worth saving has fallen into a state beyond saving and has become an eyesore, rather than a cherished community treasure.

The concern is that this same group, who’s track record is highly questionable, is vying for control over the Igloo. Once again, they have no plan, and no money. The last thing any of us want is for that huge structure and the acres of land around it to become a giant, downtown version of St. Nick’s, which by any measure has been a completely botched failure.

Preservation Pittsburgh is not only incompetent, they are reckless in their methods. Rather than adding value, they’re costing all of us a lot of money and propping up old buildings that have served their purpose and should be demolished. The Igloo, unless someone comes up with a VIABLE plan and millions of dollars that will be needed just to maintain the property, is another such building. It is time for it to go.

26. CMA
    May 24, 2011 12:06 pm

I know I’m a day behind, but I did see a picture of Emma Watson at the movies…the caption read “tries to keep a low profile” while out with friends to see a movie – by wearing a fedora, sunglasses, a huge scarf and a GIANT SWEATER…on Sunday, when it was 80 degress…yep, really trying to keep a low profile! Oh, I hope they don’t recognize me…(LOOK AT ME! LOOK AT ME!)