A new skyline for “little” Pittsburgh

PNC announced yesterday that they’re building a 40-story tall green skyscraper that will alter the Pittsburgh skyline.

Here’s what we’ll be seeing come 2015:

I like. I like tall buildings in our skyline. I like tall glass buildings in our skyline.

Another view:

Over in Philly, they’re scratching their heads as to why PNC chose Pittsburgh over them.

The biggest bank in Pennsylvania plans a 40-story, $400 million, 800,000-square-foot, “green” downtown office tower that will put 2,500 tradespeople back to work.

That tower will rise, not in Philadelphia, but in little Pittsburgh, where PNC Financial Services Group Monday announced its new headquarters.

“LITTLE” Pittsburgh?

I understand Philly is bigger than Pittsburgh, but “little” Pittsburgh?

It’s not like PNC chose to build the tower in Erie or Altoona or Conshohocken, which by the way is a fun word to say.

I like to use it as a swear word. “I can’t get this conshohocken’ stain out of the carpet. I’m going to kick the conshohocken’ dog.”

But yes, “little Pittsburgh” won out over “big, giant, dirty, smelly, conshohocken’ Philadelphia.”

What? Isn’t that the opposite of little?

1. Joe K.
    May 24, 2011 2:27 pm

Glad to see the bankers are doing well enough to build a new skyscraper downtown.

/sarcasm

2. Samantha
    May 24, 2011 2:53 pm

Um, is Philly aware PNC stands for Pittsburgh National Corporation? And that Pirates stadium is PNC Park? Of course they chose Pittsburgh, you snobs.

That said, OOOOOOO, pretty building.

3. Cassie
    May 24, 2011 3:06 pm

My dad’s aunt was lovingly named “The Aunt in Conshohocken.” I always felt a little dirty saying that.

4. Jake
    May 24, 2011 3:10 pm

As a big-building fan myself, I always thought there was a whole in that part of the skyline. Glad to see it will finally get filled.

5. Jake
    May 24, 2011 3:11 pm

And by “whole” I of course mean “hole.” Bah.

6. inBrookline
    May 24, 2011 3:11 pm

Half of the people that work in Philadelphia actually live in New Jersey… maybe they felt like keeping the jobs in-state?

7. Pensgirl
    May 24, 2011 3:12 pm

Pittsburgh is little. Clearly, the researchers and decisionmakers at PNC did not intrinsically value size (geographic or population) above all else, so it really doesn’t matter if anyone else does. The outsiders whose opinions are critical are exactly those researchers and decisionmakers, along with the Googles, filmmakers, and individuals and families who put Pittsburgh on a list of potential homes.

Just like Pittsburgh, Philly’s reputation hasn’t caught up to reality yet. Both cities are overstereotyped and underrated, and both had half a historical claim to the company – “PNC” was a merger between Pittsburgh National Corp. and Philly-based Provident National Corp. I’m glad Pittsburgh won, but I’m sure there were strong upsides either way.

8. PittinDC
    May 24, 2011 3:28 pm

If I recall, the last time I was in Philly, I had a pretty hard time finding a PNC ATM, so I don’t know why Philly would think that PNC would put their skyscraper there.

9. ajm
    May 24, 2011 3:30 pm

am I the only person who doesn’t want the city’s skyline to change?

10. Andrea
    May 24, 2011 4:13 pm

When Pittsburgh National and Provident National(Philly) merged the name PNC was specifically chosen so the P represented both cities. At least that was the reasoning back then. The name of the corporation is PNC

Also, it is a boat load cheaper to build here as well as employ here. Actually most things are cheaper here except groceries. That, however, is another story.

If you have a thing about Conshohocken how do you feel about Wissahickon?

11. Steverino
    May 24, 2011 4:16 pm

Bitter in Philadelphia these days, it seems. Of course PNC will build here – it’s their hometown. Philly is just bitter that their own banks were gobbled up by PNC.

12. Michelle Smiles
    May 24, 2011 4:44 pm

I know it isn’t the point right now but my third thought (first was “pretty!” and second was “in your face philly”) was where in the holy hell are 40 stories of people going to park? Downtown is already near its max during the day. And Lord knows PAT isn’t a viable option for many given its ever shrinking routes and always growing fares.

13. Rachel
    May 24, 2011 6:50 pm

From my understanding it will be all PNC employees…. Employees that are in the different buildings… (USX, Allegheny Center, the Strip….) will be moved to the new building + there is going to be a parking garage in the building

14. LisaB
    May 24, 2011 7:34 pm

“Conshohocken” sounds like my cat spitting up a hairball. And, come to think of it… it looks that way, too.

15. PK
    May 24, 2011 8:58 pm

My favorite from the article’s comment section is the bloke who writes “Want to bet that the taxpayer is footing at least part of the bill for this pribate sector wonder?”

PNC is footing the entire bill for this puppy. No subsidies, no TIFFs, nada. (Compare that with Comcast’s building in Philly.) And how many banks in Pittsburgh failed during the recession? One. O-N-E. Granted, I’ll stick with Dollar Bank because it’s not as hell-bent on domination as PNC or Boney-Mellon but what the hey. It’s nice to see buildings rising in the ‘burgh for a change.

16. gunnlino
    May 24, 2011 10:55 pm

Geez, now all those pretty girls with tats of the skyline of the Burgh will have a decision to make .

May 24, 2011 11:46 pm

They could have split the difference and built it in Blue Ball.

I guess all the classy building designs are taken. Nobody puts gargoyles up anymore.

18. Carol
    May 25, 2011 11:27 am

@17

I’ve always thought the PPG towers deserved a few gargoyles. Glass ones maybe…lit up at night…that shoot lazer lights out of their eyeballs…
    I’m getting more coffee.

19. USCMike
    May 26, 2011 12:02 am

Congrats to PNC for choosing “Little” Pittsburgh!!

They’re at least taking care of funneling development money into their own hometown and as a shareholder, I’m darn proud they’re building here.

As for Provident Bank, it was gone a long time ago and the name of the company is Pittsburgh National Corporation, thus, the writer in “jealous” Philly can take his snide “little” comment and choke on his cheesesteak…

20. jrock
    June 27, 2011 10:27 am

i’m from philly you guys are really hipe that there building a skyscraper in pitt cuz all you guys care about is your football team and buildings. your talkin bad bout philly but i bet philly would run through pitt anyday. how does a little city who was a big money maker for making steel go to making nothing?lol