This, sadly, is still a thing

And you thought I was crazy, but apparently free-range diaper-wearing toddlers is still a thing:

1. Let’s not have another comment war. Let’s just all agree that some parents need to do a better job of watching their kids.

2. Let’s not fight about pants versus no pants. I’m simply pointing out that once again, free-range toddler, diaper.

3. It’s only a matter of time before one of these stories doesn’t end with the parents in jail and the child in protection. Pretty soon it’s going to be the parents in jail and the child in a coffin.

4. I’d much rather ninjas versus taser-resistant drunks be a thing than THIS keep on being a thing.

(h/t @littlebirdiecom)

1. Jake
    June 9, 2011 4:46 pm

Speaking of taser-resistant drunks (ignoring the poor free-range children for a moment), did you see the one in Jeanette?

It took three times, and while they don’t specifically say she was drunk it sounds like a good possibility.

2. Cassie
    June 9, 2011 5:01 pm

The saddest thing about that article, Ginny, is that the poor kid was in the FETAL position covered in bug bites. Pretty sure no parent reading your blog would ever allow their child to be left like that.

THAT requires better parenting. I doubt I’ll get verbally beat up for saying this.

3. gunnlino
    June 9, 2011 5:58 pm

It’s also only a matter of time before the wayward toddler disappears forever or is found facedown in the local ” crick ” , and the parents are on TV crying big crocodile tears about how they loved their baby and all that other bullshit .

4. Noelle
    June 9, 2011 6:14 pm

Just because you CAN doesn’t mean you should! I’m so disgusted by trash.

5. Jennifer Lyn
    June 9, 2011 7:40 pm

And think about it some.

6. red pen mama
    June 10, 2011 8:13 am

@jennifer lyn, um, you do understand that there is a difference between free-range children (say 6 years old and up) and a diaper-clad toddler wandering by train tracks for the second time in a week. A toddler also suffering from sunburn and bug bites found curled up in a fetal position.

I smell spam!

7. Mandy
    June 10, 2011 8:17 am

red pen mama: I was just about to post virtually the exact same thing!! There is a huge difference between the philosophy behind “free range kids” (ie: avoiding becoming a helicopter parents; letting older children just be children, etc) and what happened in this case. Without knowing all the details, this story seems to stray from the innocent / we didn’t realize it to child abuse. This child was found crying with a sunburn and covered in bug bits. Not even close to being the same.

8. NewBurgher
    June 10, 2011 11:58 am

This makes me think about the story I read of someone who wanted to bring back “lashes” as punishment for small crimes, versus jail time. I would like to nominate these two sorry pieces of trash parents to be first in line for a lashing. That is, after they lose custody of the child.

9. LH
    June 10, 2011 9:12 pm

This makes me so sad. There are soooo many good people out there that can’t have a child and would do anything to be parents.

10. Julie
    June 12, 2011 12:44 pm

LH, I am one of those people. I just enrages me that, if I would like to raise a child, I have to spend $20-30K to adopt one, when these TOTAL LOSERS can just pop ’em out for free and abuse them all they want.

Enrages me. Adoption agencies are the biggest rip-off on earth. But that’s a whole other rant.