Sheldon Ingram saves the cat, probably pisses PETA off.

Armed with a ladder and a bag of treats, WTAE reporter Sheldon Ingram went above and beyond the call of duty and rescued a cat that had been stuck in a tree for eight days, howling and crying.

The cat. Not Sheldon.

[throws confetti]

No word yet on why no one else attempted a ladder and a bag of treats prior to the eighth day.

Also, no word yet on why cats in trees is something to call the news stations about.

Also, no word yet on how much hate I’m going to get for pointing and laughing at this, but this is the best comment ever:

Also, the Fire Department should be investigated in this situation. It is the DUTY to serve the public, even in this non-emergency ’emergency’.  “Not able to drive a truck to the house” is a total BS excuse! I’ve seen MY local fire department pick up a CAR and move it to get to the scene of a fire…what gives THESE people an excuse to not move a ladder to the tree to rescue the cat???  I do not even live in the area, and I call for a FULL investigation by proper authorities. Was this cronyism?

Are firemen REALLY required to rescue cats?!  It’s not like a child in a well. It’s a cat. In a tree. Get a damn ladder and a box of treats and rescue your own tree-climbing cat and leave the fire department to rescue the people.

No word yet on why cats climb trees if they can’t get back down. This is why I’m a dog person. I’m a big fan of that coming when called thing in addition to the don’t climb things you can’t get down from thing. I very much like the I won’t viciously claw at your bosom until you bleed thing.

No word yet on when PETA will arrange the naked protest of Sheldon’s neck-handling of the cat without the proper amount of recommended rump-support.

I bet you think I made that shit up.

1. calamity jane
    June 15, 2011 1:28 pm

Yet more proof of the useless nature of local TV news.

June 15, 2011 1:53 pm

what have we learned here the last week or so?

– can’t wear your military uniform to your high school graduation? call the news.

– can’t get your cat out of the tree? and, the fire department tells you to screw off? call the news.

I have an ingrown toenail. time to quit typing this post and call the news.

3. Jaime
    June 15, 2011 2:03 pm

I’m sure WTAE would have covered it live had it been a sweeps month.

4. Rachel
    June 15, 2011 2:24 pm

Something my mom always says…. you never see a cat skeleton in a tree, if they got up there they can get back down

5. Lauren
    June 15, 2011 2:35 pm

1. My cat comes when called. Especially when cat treats are involved.
    2. LOL at the comment. How he/she can get from “the fire department should pick up the cat” to “CRONYISM” is amazing use of logic.
    3. Ginny-The reason cats attack you is because you try to ignore them. When cats are in a room with a group of people, the “cat people” are usually watching them. Cats don’t like prolonged eye contact. They’ll go up to the person who is ignoring them because that person *isn’t* making eye contact. Lesson? Next time you’re in a room with a cat, stare directly into it’s eyes. It should leave you alone : )

6. mfj
    June 15, 2011 3:05 pm

No, the BEST comment was the one right after the indignant cronyist, calling the cat’s owner out.

“I can’t believe that ANYONE would want to see an animal suffer for so long. What, was he listening to the poor cat call for help while sitting in his barca-lounger and masturbating? I wouldn’t doubt it!”

Um, yeah, cuffing it in a barcalounger. You probably didn’t have to reach down too far to come up with that image.

7. Nate
    June 15, 2011 3:16 pm

The comment about the fire dept, is that real? Where did it come from? What a dope. Where was the cat’s father during all this? He should have been on the ground yelling up “you got yourself into this mess, now get yourself out!” As for WTAE’s part, I am pretty sure I know why Sheldon was up there- Wendy Bell told him the cat was in a tree…living like an animal! Paul Long wouldn’t stand for any of this shit.

8. inBrookline
    June 15, 2011 3:35 pm

Sheldon Ingram getting a cat out of a tree. 48 straight hours of Dancing With The Stars coverage.

Not sure who is in charge at WTAE these days, but they have successfully turned the place into the laughing stock of Pittsburgh TV… even WPXI feels bad for them.

If it wasn’t for Modern Family, I’d call the fire department and have them remove Channel 4 from my television.

9. LaReina
    June 15, 2011 3:39 pm

Last I heard, PETA was protesting the entire idea of people keeping animals as pets, so who knows what their idiotic and lunatic position on the “cat in a tree” issue might be.

10. Dan (Not Onarato)
    June 15, 2011 3:46 pm

A full investigation? For a cat up a tree? That has to be a joke.

I would have just let it there. But if someone complained enough couldn’t someone just get a garden hose or a pressure washer (on stream) and spray it? Cats hate water if you havent heard

@ Nate Agreed…old school newscasters like Paul Long and Bill Burns (yes I know Bill Burns was channel 2 but whatever) would have kicked someones a$$ if this was even mentioned as news.

11. Pa-pop
    June 15, 2011 3:54 pm

Why didn’t anyone think to call the Pleasantville fire department?

12. Butcher's Dog
    June 15, 2011 4:11 pm

Not being a cat person I personally prefer Tackleberry’s method of getting the cat from the tree in one of the Police Academy movies. You could look it up, maybe.

13. jennviolet
    June 16, 2011 10:04 am

WTAE: Taking Action For Animals! A few days earlier Keith Jones (not the old KDKA hotty) had a story where he rescued a pig off the side of the road. After seeing Sheldon’s story I was like, for real WTAE???? You’ve gone all Green Acres.

14. JenEngland
    June 16, 2011 10:20 am

You have to hand it to Sheldon Ingram (who no doubt was sent to cover the story, as opposed to asking to go). You know he got there and was like, “well have you even TRIED to get it down??? Do you have a ladder???” I hate to think of any creature slowly starving to death/dying of dehydration.

15. Ms. CarolineFB
    June 16, 2011 12:26 pm

Really Sheldon? Really? Really?

I have cats. I love my cats. Am I going to call the news to get MY cat out of the tree? No, I’m going to be far too embarrassed to even think of such a thing. Cats are too stubborn to die of hunger/starvation. That cat looked fine. It was probably climbing down, eating, and then climbing back up when no one was looking.

I’d like to meet Comment #4-Rachel’s mom. That woman speaks a language I can understand.

16. Pensgirl
    June 16, 2011 3:02 pm

The owners need to get a Norwegian Forest cat. As the name implies, they’re built for tree-climbing, and more importantly are excellent at tree UNclimbing. I had one – she used to just jump down from the top of the evergreens in the neighborhood. Crazy broad, but hey, I never had to Take It 2 Wayne to get her down.

17. Janelle
    June 18, 2011 10:51 am

PETA makes all of us vegetarians look like asses.

18. Ken Hawk
    October 18, 2011 7:13 am

“Cats are natural-born climbers. They’ll come down! How many cat skeletons do you see in trees?”

Tim Kazurinsky