While I’m recovering …

I just wanted to point you all to a few things I’ve written over at the magazine while I’m recovering from my torn carotid artery.

As for an update on that, things are progressing slowly but surely. I am so close to feeling completely like my old self again to the point that while the noise is still there, I don’t even notice it some days. Thanks for all the kind emails, tweets, thoughts, prayers and yes, gifts. They mean more to me than you can imagine.

Things you may not have read yet!

1. My column on Roberto Clemente. I wrote a letter to my new hero about who he was, his plane crash, Wikipedia, and even his potty mouth. Burghers, if you haven’t learned about Roberto yet, I cannot encourage you enough to do it. What starts out as a general interest will explode into obsession as you begin reading anything you can find on him and you begin scouring the web for videos that manifest his reportedly other-worldly throwing arm.

Snippet:

When our idols die young, we’re left wondering if they would have remained worthy of our reverence, devotion and mythology. Would they have kept inspiring us to do better and be better? Or would they have eventually become a fallen angel who made us shake our heads and marvel at the drop from grace to rock bottom? I think it’s safe to say that, at 38, you were the man you were going to be for the rest of your life—and that’s inspiring.

2. My opinion on the possible loss of the Pitt Fall at Kennywood.

A snippet:

I don’t know why, but when I ride the Pitt Fall, coaxed onto it by nieces or nephews, I spend the fifty-minute (it seems) trip to the bottom in a state of rage I can’t explain. WHY AM I ON THIS? WHY AM I FALLING? WHO INVENTED THIS? I WOULD LIKE THIS TO STOP NOW. NOW. NOW? I HATE EVERYTHING ON THE PLANET.

3. And finally, my opinion on Hines Ward, the Buccos of Suckitude, the heat, Julie Bologna, and Jaromir Jagr, all wrapped up in one sweet post.

A snippet:

Remember how much I loved Jaromir Jagr and how much I wanted him to be a Penguin again and how I said I had no intention of booing him when he returns to Pittsburgh? Strike all of that from the record and replace it with this: “I will boo him so loudly and so emphatically and with so much pure rage that I will probably injure my vocal chords and black out from forgetting to breathe during my epic booing of that jerk-faced, disloyal, elderly Czech. If I could find the autograph he gave me all those years ago, I’d pin it to a voodoo doll and burn it. May the Karma Boomerang do her thang.”

Happy reading!

1. TripleC
    July 18, 2011 12:43 pm

Hey, I was thinking of you this morning. I was walking up 1st Ave this morning on my way to the office and passed a pigeon that either had a broken wing, leg, or possibly both. Was flopping around on the ground and really struggling and all along I’m thinking….”oh man that’s awesome. I should take a video/photo and send it to Ginny.” Would have certainly brought a smile to your face. If there is any carnage when I walk by tomorrow I’ll take a picture.

Anyways, I kicked it a few times and continued on my way. Just kidding PETA, I didn’t kick it, but did decide that I should leave it there hoping one of the downtown falcons would show up on the scene.

Hope you’re feeling better and back to you old self soon.

2. Bulldog
    July 18, 2011 1:52 pm

So very glad to hear that you are still on the mend. I’m even happier to read a few of the wonderful snippets that you’ve shared which continues to demonstrate why you’re such a treasure.

Press on with the healing so that you’re back to full health by kick-off.

3. jmarie1973
    July 18, 2011 2:20 pm

I was up @ market square today sitting outside the restaurant eating my ice cream cone and all of a sudden my employee was like what’s up with the pigeons.

they were four or five that were all heading towards your door. they totally just walked through us by going under our chairs to head toward your door. if i had had my camera i would have gotten a picture but it was charging in my office. it was scary spooky! We then decided it was time to leave before more came. hope you are going to do a ritual pigeon getting rid of before you reopen!

totally missed your posts and glad to hear your feeling better!

4. JenEngland
    July 18, 2011 2:22 pm

Glad you are feeling better! I have to say I LOVE the Pittfall but have the same experience on roller coasters. HATE.

5. WIMom
    July 18, 2011 4:10 pm

Miss you, Ginny, especially every morning when I check the baseball scores/standings. After hanging in there for 18 years, it is so great to to be a Bucs fan this year. My husband and I are celbrating our anniverary in a few weeks at Miller Field in Milwaukee, watching the Pirates and Brewers battle it out.
    Hope that artery heals up quickly and you are back to 100%.

6. Mama Moose
    July 18, 2011 8:53 pm

Hope you are feeling better soon!

July 18, 2011 10:37 pm

Be HEALED!

Heh, beat THAT, UPMC.

8. Butcher's Dog
    July 19, 2011 8:52 am

And then, of course, we awaken this morning to our First Place Pittsburgh Pirates. And wasn’t it one of us who wrote earlier, “Worst to First in two years”? Yup, me. I apologize for being so woefully off on my dates. If the Mayans missed by that much the world would have ended by now. Just sayin’.

9. red pen mama
    July 19, 2011 12:42 pm

I hated the Pitt Fall, too. My to-be-husband coaxed me on it in our dating days (and going-to-Kennywood-without-children days), and I’ve yet to forgive him. I *wish* I had gotten angry, but I was too terrified.

Hope your recovery continues apace! We miss ya!

10. carpoolmom
    July 19, 2011 3:09 pm

WOW. I’m was just thinking of you and wondering how your recovery was coming along.
    I really have missed your postings and was thrilled to see you were able to send a few snippets our way! Glad to hear you are making slow and steady progress. Sometimes we are forced to slow down and take it easy to enable us to enjoy those important things happening in our lives.

Wishing you continued steady recovery!

11. Butcher's Dog
    July 19, 2011 3:35 pm

Per Hines Ward’s field sobriety test: I don’t believe I’ve ever been so drunk that I couldn’t recite the alphabet. Again, just sayin’.

12. Butcher's Dog
    July 19, 2011 3:44 pm

Pretty nasty looking zipper on Geno’s right knee. Hope the inside’s as good as new.

Per Beatles’ photos: were any of us ever that young? Seriously? Hardly seems possible.

13. PittCheMBA
    July 19, 2011 7:20 pm

Ginny, Glad to hear you are back. Wishing you a speed recovery.

14. Maria in Pgh
    July 19, 2011 7:32 pm

Glad to hear that you’re making progress!
    :-)

15. Aunt Penny
    July 20, 2011 2:12 am

Is it just coincidence that you go on leave and the Pirates strike gold??? Are you on some secret dugout assignment??? You have been known to move mountains, help rescue kids and work magic in hospitals !!! It could happen !!! Hmmmm…….

All teasing aside, keep taking care and heal-up! Thanks for checking in!

16. Burgh Bird
    July 20, 2011 12:24 pm

Vacationing in Key West this past week, I noticed a tourist couple actually stop dead in the middle of Duval Street so that they could take pictures of two pigeons crossing the street. Perhaps I should have asked where they were from for future reference- they must not have pigeons there.

17. AngryMongo
    July 20, 2011 1:18 pm

Glad to hear you are on the mend. I was just getting things together for a post about all this madness and here you beat me to it.

Something is definitely up when it’s July and Ben is settling down, Hines is in trouble, Jagr and Max are Flyers, football is in jeopardy, and the Buccos are in first.

Gotta be the heat… or the pigeons… or a cartoid artery.

18. USCMike
    July 20, 2011 10:11 pm

Hey Ginny, thanks for even a small post to let us know that our prayers are working for you!!

We’re with you all the way, so you take care and get rid of that nasty tear in the carotid and we’ll sit here and continue to be amazed at our Buccos!

P.S. There’s no truth to the rumor that Ben’s alleged victims will be showing up at the wedding, ready to yell when the minister asks if anyone has any objections to him getting married… ;^)

July 21, 2011 10:43 am

Re PittFall:

Weenie. Bucdaughter loves it and is lamenting its imminent demise.

20. empirechick
    July 22, 2011 10:59 am

@ Butcher’s Dog: Lots of baseball still to be played, but golly, this sure has been fun so far! Headed to the game tonight – first time since my boycott-on-principle started 4 years ago – can’t wait!!

21. empirechick
    July 22, 2011 11:00 am

@ Butcher’s Dog: Lots of baseball still to be played, but golly, it sure has been fun so far! Headed to the game tonight – first time since my boycott-on-principle started 4 years ago – can’t wait!!

22. Amber
    July 22, 2011 11:37 pm

Missed you!!

23. Wendielu
    July 23, 2011 3:52 pm

Glad to hear you are better! Miss reading here, hope the end of the lockout and your full recovery will coincide and you’ll be back to That’s Church.