Hold the mail.

My sister Princess Aurora of Wexfordshire lives in Wexford. See what I did there?

Me, my parents, and my sister Pens Fan all live a mile from each other in an eastern suburb and often tease her that she moved SOOO FAR [WAH] AWAY.

We’ll call her and say things like, “Yeah, we’re getting the kids together to go swimming. Too bad you live so far away.”

It drives her mad when we do this, so of course we do it every chance we get.  Out of love.

This weekend at a family party at my parents’ house I walked into the kitchen to find Pens Fan and a SUPER pregnant Princess sitting at the table with various family members when this happened:

Pens Fan: Ginny, I was just saying– doesn’t Princess live super far away?

Me: OMG. It’s ridiculous how far away she lives.

Princess Aurora: [stink eye] Wexford is not that far away.

Pens Fan: Is too.

Me: It takes forever. You gotta stop for gas halfway there.

Pens Fan: [snicker]

Princess: [seriously considering giving the middle finger and blaming pregnancy hormones]

Me: And you gotta pack travel games for the kids.

Pens Fan: Put the luggage rack on the car.

Me: Take vacation time.

Pens Fan: Hold the mail.

Princess: [holds her pregnant belly and breathes fire] IT IS NOT THAT FAR AWAY!

[the room quiets]

Me: You might as well just rent an RV if you’re going to Princess Aurora’s house.

Can you feel the love?

[fingerhearts]

1. Kathy
    August 2, 2011 9:14 am

I know how your sister feels…Two years ago when I remarried, I moved from the North Hills (where I grew up) to the South Hills. My dad actually had us install a video camera on his computer so he can Skype us, because, you know, the South Hills is like another country from the North Hills.

2. spoon
    August 2, 2011 9:27 am

We have a friend in the North Hills who freaks out every time we ask her to visit because she has to drive over a river and through a tunnel.

Yinzers are silly people.

3. Scott
    August 2, 2011 9:58 am

Far away from the family…..but a whole lot closer to everything else.

J/K!!!!!!! ;)

4. Josh
    August 2, 2011 9:58 am

I live in regent square and I have friends out in robinson…I think thats soooo farrr away. Plus I do hate the fort pitt tunnel and bridge…people just don’t like to merge.

5. bluzdude
    August 2, 2011 10:00 am

It’s all such a matter of perspective. When I used to live in Cleveland, I had a friend on the other side of town that I always thought was so “far away.” Then I my job transferred me to work where he was, so I had to make that trip every day. Didn’t seem so “far away” after that…

6. facie
    August 2, 2011 10:07 am

It’s all about the tunnel(s) you must go through, which I know all too well after my 1:50 minute trip from the Parkway East to the airport Friday afternoon. Good times!

On an unrelated note, Ginny, I finally bought myself some Nutella. I OD’ed on it at my high school graduation party 20-couple years ago, and have not had it since. But I broke down a few weeks ago, and I can’t believe I waited this long. It pretty much goes with everything, but it pairs the nicest with a spoon! :-)

7. Kacie
    August 2, 2011 10:33 am

I started out in West View in the North Hills and then I moved to the South Hills to Bethel Park/Mt. Lebanon boundary area. Took 45 dang minutes to get to my friend’s house in Gibsonia but I did the trip because I <3 her. BUT on Thanksgiving? Took 30 minutes. Everyone else in Pittsburgh was already on their correct side of Pittsburgh.

Now I'm in Indianapolis and it takes me like 60-90 mins to get to my parent's or my parent's-in-law's houses and it really doesn't feel bad at all, because it used to take like 8 hours.

/useless comment
    //whatever

8. JCHokie
    August 2, 2011 12:27 pm

You’ll need a passport too. ;)

9. red pen mama
    August 3, 2011 8:59 am

My in-laws used to lament that their children and spouses lived so far away (Hubs & I on the South Side, SIL & her hubs in Regent Square, then Dormont; ILs in Moon). So we moved next door. That’ll learn ’em.

The only place I won’t regularly travel is Monroeville. That shit is too far away. ;)

10. Greg Marks
    August 3, 2011 5:18 pm

super hero?

steel curtain-man

t-shirts please…!?

best wishes,

Pitt Panther 1980 – living in AZ

11. Sylvia
    August 4, 2011 12:55 pm

Proud of the fact that the new Batman is being filmed in the ‘Burgh….Love your blog!

12. MattDC
    August 10, 2011 6:06 pm

I grew up in Wexfordshire. I learned everything about life in Wexfordshire. You are correct. It is very, very far away. From everything.

Before I forget: Damn, it’s good to have you back, young lady.