And the eyes, they did roll.

I have an entire tag on this here blog called “eyerolls” and I had to do that because so many times when I’m reading the local news stories, my eyes just go BOING! Right up into my head.

I’m so glad we have the eyeroll, aren’t you? How else would we be able to perfectly visually acknowledge the ludicrousness we encounter on a daily basis?

So, please watch this video of Wendy Bell TAKING ACTION FOR YOU! when a local mother got pissed that Sandcastle dared to raise the height requirement on the water slides, which resulted in the woman’s daughter not being able to ride her favorite ride. I mean, who the hell does Sandcastle think they are following manufacturers’ safety regulations?! Have you ever heard anything so ludicrous?! Just let the damn babies fly down the slide. Maybe they won’t drown, Sandcastle. Did you ever think of that?! Maybe they’ll float long enough to be resuscitated.

Anyway, the mother was so pissed that Sandcastle didn’t put a giant banner on their website explaining that the ride height requirement had been changed to keep kids like her daughter safe that SHE CALLED FREAKING CHANNEL FOUR ACTION NEWS TO TAKE ACTION FOR HER.

Would you watch the video please and let me know if when you get to the part about Wendy “taking action for you” and getting them a cabana and free food for the gross inconvenience of being kept safe, did your eyes also roll so far back in your head that you got a good look at your pituitary gland?

I just want to make sure mine looks normal.

1. CrashJK
    August 3, 2011 10:31 am

#heych4getthatguyapizza

randy said too…

2. boredlady
    August 3, 2011 10:38 am

What a ridiculous segment. I’m surprised Sandcastle let it happen. Why not just refund?

3. Aaron Kleiber
    August 3, 2011 10:42 am

I also had a major ‘what!?’ and ‘you gotta be kiddin…’ with a hardcore ‘my-super-sweet-sixteen’ EYEROLL on this one.
    Betcha they were so proud to swindle their way into a cabana with those souvenir cups…what a win for the team. *eyeroll*

4. Henry B
    August 3, 2011 10:43 am

It would have ended if the judge on the case of the woman who sued McDonalds because she burned herself would have thrown her into jail for wasting his time and our money. We are taking action just the wrong action.

5. Ms. Caroline FB
    August 3, 2011 10:43 am

I guess we don’t have enough actual news in this area to fill the 3 hours we’re subjected to every night so we’re gonna make shit up now?

That tattletale mother should be ashamed of herself. So should WTAE for allowing this to be broadcast. And for that matter, so should Sandcastle for giving that family even one bite of pizza.

Since when did common sense become such a rare commodity?

6. Agreed
    August 3, 2011 10:44 am

That story is SO ridiculous I thought my eyes were going to stay rolled back in the socket.

That is SO embarrassing for Pittsburgh and whoever knows that ridiculous lady. So what if the height restrictions changed? It’s much better than them not changing, and then some child drowns because of it. And to top it off they get a cabana and free pizza? That’s SO STUPID. Let’s reward people for being ridiculously whiny and self-righteous. Good job Channel 4, good job.

7. Andrea
    August 3, 2011 10:47 am

Some mother…the place put a restriction on a ride to ensure better safety. What was she thinking? The lady just whined to get free passes from somebody. Channel 4 was stupid enough to do so.

8. Andrea
    August 3, 2011 10:48 am

btw…wearing the skirt suit that did NOT hide her thighs, did this lady really need a free pizza?

Dumbest. Story. Ever!

9. Zach
    August 3, 2011 10:51 am

“buh-ruther”

10. jen
    August 3, 2011 10:53 am

How about be thankful that you can enjoy spending the summer sunning your fat ass instead of complaining, you whiny entitled pig? Some of us have to work all summmer and can’t spend that time with our children. She seriously needs a throat punch.

11. Katie
    August 3, 2011 10:54 am

Really, lady? Really?! That ONE waterslide changed and you’re bitching to the news?

@boredlady – Why no refund? Sandcastle has a Kiddie area, 2 pools and a lazy river that her daughter CAN use. I certainly wouldn’t give her a refund because she can’t ride ONE waterslide that she did last year.

12. gunnlino
    August 3, 2011 10:54 am

Must have been a slow news day . This woman should be ashamed but my guess is she does not have the mental ability to admit shame . If her kid had been injured or drowned she would be the first in line to file suit against Sandcastle and the mfg of the ride because the ride was not safe for little kids .
    Stepping down now ………… next .

13. NicoleinTallahassee
    August 3, 2011 10:58 am

@ #4 – Henry B. ~ You should really watch the documentary “Hot Coffee”. I too thought that lawsuit was ridiculous, but once you hear the real story and see the pictures, you will understand why she sued McDonald’s … a definite recommend!

This story is ridiculous!

14. Cassie
    August 3, 2011 11:01 am

Wow. I really can’t stand people who take complaining to a new level. There are just some people you can’t please.

And then we give them food.

15. Cassie
    August 3, 2011 11:02 am

@NicoleinTallahassee Totally agree. Hot Coffee changed my views on a lot of things. That poor woman.

16. red pen mama
    August 3, 2011 11:10 am

Next up, the guy calling 911 because Mickey D’s doesn’t have the right dipping sauce for his chicken nuggets…

People live their own soap operas. We are the stars of our own dramas. This woman was totally validated by Channel 4 news. More pity the rest of us.

17. lovesthenorthside
    August 3, 2011 11:12 am

really? wow. shame on channel 4, shame on that mother, shame on sandcastle. i shudder for all.

on a separate note, i am calling action 4 news because of ride on your bandwagon is too bumpy. can i haz cheezburger?

18. lovesthenorthside
    August 3, 2011 11:13 am

*because the ride

19. pghsciencenerd
    August 3, 2011 11:20 am

I’ve been threatening to call Channels 2, 4, and/or 11 whenever I feel injustice directed towards me for years now. Where is Wayne Van Dyne when you need him?

20. pghsciencenerd
    August 3, 2011 11:21 am

Example: The bathroom at work’s out of toilet paper again. I’M CALLING WTAE.

21. cmd_45
    August 3, 2011 11:24 am

If she got four season passes for less than $100 and they have been to the park more than once, they got their money’s worth, Blue Tubaluba or not. I am sad Sandcastle caved to the idiocy of this and dismayed that some producer okayed this story. The news basically blackmailed Sandcastle on this one.

22. Erin
    August 3, 2011 11:29 am

[small voice] I sort of agree, though, that Sandcastle should have alerted patrons to this change. Otherwise people are buying season passes under false pretenses. Maybe they did, and this woman didn’t read the web site carefully enough. But if they didn’t, they should have.
    That being said, I agree: shame on this woman for freaking calling WTAE. What a whiny, entitled woman.

23. bluzdude
    August 3, 2011 11:30 am

Whatevs… I’m just mesmerized by the yummy Tina Fey executing that extreme eye-roll. Oh, wait… that’s not your sister, is it?

August 3, 2011 11:40 am

Dear WTAE,

There’s a reason I only watch 2 or 11.

Stop it. It only encourages them.

Thanks.

bucdaddy

August 3, 2011 11:46 am

Whoa! Gratuitous bikini shots at 1:15 and 1:33!!!*

That was totally worth it.

Thanks, WTAE! Screw 2 and 11, you’re my fave now!

*Goes back to watch again*

*–None of them of Wendy Bell, unfortunately. Boooo, WTAE! Wendy should have tested those rides for safety.

26. spoon
    August 3, 2011 11:49 am

“Channel 4 Action News’ anchor Wendy Bell spoke to Sandcastle and the park agreed to give Sullenberger’s family a cabana and a cabana assistant, along with food and souvenir cups.”

Next time I go to Sandcastle I’m gonna bitch that I got wet on a waterslide so I can score a sweet package.

27. Mimi
    August 3, 2011 11:50 am

@pghsciencenerd: Total props for the Wayne Van Dine shout-out.

28. Mike S.
    August 3, 2011 11:50 am

#FirstWorldProblems

29. AJ
    August 3, 2011 12:04 pm

This is the same type of stupid woman that would complain if her kid got hurt.
    I don’t know why they even waste their time!

30. Pa-pop
    August 3, 2011 12:33 pm

Unlike the Howard Beale character in “Network” (1976), Channel 4 does not appear to be running out of bullsh*t any time soon.

31. efw_west
    August 3, 2011 12:35 pm

I’m mad Sandcastle doesn’t open on weekend evenings anymore for Sandbar. Can Wendy fix that too?

32. Pica U
    August 3, 2011 12:42 pm

Yes, this woman deserves a big kick in the a%& for whining and thereby teaching her kid that if you complain enough, you’ll get a reward. Imagine being in THAT household.

But the big “steaming pile” award goes to Wendy Bell and the editors at WTAE who though this deserved to be a news story. Doesn’t anyone there have any sense of what real journalism is?

August 3, 2011 12:43 pm

Dear Sandcastle,

Raise the IQ requirement on everyone over 48 inches.

Problem solved.

For That’s Church Action News, I’m Dad Bug-uslawski, I’m in YOUR corner.

34. USCMike
    August 3, 2011 12:44 pm

Just another example of how “The customer’s always right”, even if they’re complete, whiny dolts. I bet they’re going to have folks complaining about every little thing now, just to get comp’ed in some manner.

This could have been halted quickly if Sandcastle had found out where this woman lived and requested the local authorities to come and fetch their missing idiot and her spawn…

35. Sue
    August 3, 2011 12:47 pm

I wish I had $100 to blow on Sandcastle tickets. Maybe she should give it to a local food bank and teach her daughter the meaning of giving. *eye roll* Also, her kid didn’t give a rat’s ass about it when she was on TV. I think mom was more upset than her child. Rules are rules.

36. Jen
    August 3, 2011 12:49 pm

I’m calling Channel 4. Giant Eagle raised the price of marshmallows and did not advertise it, doing me a gross injustice and,hence our bonfire cost us more than last year. I need Channel 4 to get on this. WOW – Channel 4 AND Sandcastle should be ashamed!

37. Craig
    August 3, 2011 12:50 pm

Sandcastle should have given them their money back and ask them to leave. I’m so glad that that is the most important problem that TAE could find to cover.

38. SusanV
    August 3, 2011 1:06 pm

This is so ridiculous!

Should I call Channel 4 because the first time we went to Idlewild this year they let my almost-3-year-old on all the rides in the kiddie area, but the next time we went he was wearing a different pair of shoes and wasn’t allowed to ride without his big brother riding too?

BLLLLL. Totally insane. It says right on the entry ticket that the park can refuse to let you ride for ANY reason, most importantly not being tall enough to safely ride.

39. TripleC
    August 3, 2011 1:16 pm

And of course she would be the first to sue if one of her children were injured on one of these rides.

Poor kids have no chance being raised by someone like this.

L.O.S.E.R

Oh, and WTAE – thanks so much for solving one of Allegheny Counties great injustices.

40. Shannon W.
    August 3, 2011 1:34 pm

Meh- Her first reaction should not have been to call WTAE and WTAE should not have run the story.

My neighbor bought season passes and then on her first visit discovered her younger son could not ride on the slides he had the previous year due to the new height limit. She left the park after 1/2 hour, went to customer service and got the season passes refunded. Clearly my neighbor is a rational, though disappointed person and this woman is an attention-seeker or is too wimpy to talk to customer service herself.

41. Bitch Slap
    August 3, 2011 2:27 pm

I hope the mother is ridiculed by her friends and family for calling WTAE. I will not even mention her bathing suit.

Having worked in corporate PR, I can’t blame Sandcastle for caving and giving them all the freebies.

I seriously question WTAE for producing this story.

42. Magnus Patris
    August 3, 2011 2:31 pm

I wonder if her kid got hurt going down the slide if she’d accept a cabana boy, pizza and some souvenir cups for that?

43. G-Man
    August 3, 2011 3:25 pm

The part of this whole business that I find most disturbing is that the ride is named “Blue Tubaluba.” Someone got paid to come up with that.

44. Andrea
    August 3, 2011 4:07 pm

I think I do the Liz Lemon eyeroll about 50 times, usually when reading Facebook or Twitter.

45. Andrea
    August 3, 2011 4:08 pm

50 times A DAY. Whomp whomp.

46. Burgh Bird
    August 3, 2011 5:42 pm

I’m betting the reason the woman was so ticked is because she had to live thru her child having a public tantrum in the park because she couldn’t ride her favorite ride. Instead of dealing with it herself, she needed the whole rest of the Pittsburgh viewing area deal with it.
    So what happens when a Sandcastle customer actually has a real grievous negative experience? What’s the remuneration for them then? Will they close the park and let the complaining family have a private party? Wonder if they will invite Wendy Bell?

47. Me
    August 3, 2011 6:47 pm

The husband called into DVE this morning trying to justify his wife’s actions. He failed big time. This family deserves to be mocked endlessly. I only watch WTAE in the mornings for Demetrius Ivory’s weather forecasts because he’s generally pretty good. Other than that, their newscasts are crap.

Oh, and NicoleinTallahassee, I third your comments. The meme that the McDonald’s coffee case was over nothing has always made me stabby.

48. Rachel
    August 3, 2011 7:19 pm

I knew it was coming and I still rolled my eyes. I agree with bucdaddy… this is the exact reason I only watch 2 and 11

49. eljimmo
    August 3, 2011 9:54 pm

“I’m Mike Boguslowski and I’m in your corner.”

50. Dan (Not Onarato)
    August 4, 2011 10:20 am

Rules are rules…dont like them dont participate.

WTAE should provide everyone who watched that story compensation for their time that they wasted watching this so called “story”