Random n’at

1. A conversation with my four-year-old daughter, who has been playing this little game with me for a month now:

“What are you doing, Mommy?”

“Making breakfast.”

“What’s ‘making’?”

“You know. Cooking.”

“What’s ‘cooking’?”

“You know. When you make food hot.”

“What’s ‘hot’?”

“You know, not cold.”

“What’s ‘cold’?”

“You know, not hot.”

“What’s hot– HEY!”

“Bazinga.”

2. Remind me to tell you about my son ordering at Las Velas this weekend and telling the waitress he wanted “chicken [fingerquotes] quesadillas [/fingerquotes].”

UR DOING IT WRONG.

3. At the Jeep festival!

Man. I oughta get Daniel Sepulveda airbrushed on the side of my mom-dorkmobile.

Lukey is right now having that same thought about Christopher Nolan and the Hizzonermobile.

4. My family and I happened upon Batman filming downtown on Saturday after lunch at Las Velas and watched as they filmed an amazing chase scene with an SUV, a military-type vehicle, and an enormous flying beetle which I now know is the Batwing or the Batplane.

Unfortunately, the Batplane suffered an accident when it rammed into a streetlight yesterday.

Video here.

This goes without saying, but Batman is a terrible pilot. My god. Maybe he shouldn’t wear a mask while flying.

Safety first.

5. I’m still raising funds for Genre’s Kids with Cancer for the walk I’ll be participating in this Saturday morning. As you can see, we’re only 700 away from the goal of what I hoped we would donate to Genre and the kids with cancer at Children’s Hospital. More later on that, but for now, if you have a few dollars to spare, I will hug you so hard you’ll lose weight. And don’t forget to register for free at ScoreBig to funnel that additional dollar to Genre’s fund.

6. If you are a fan of East Liberty and my God, who isn’t, here’s a new site for you! Discover East Liberty!

Love it.

7. An actual quote from my sister Tina Fey, who is visiting from Texas, to my sister Pens Fan, who is nursing her baby, “Oh, just come to Trader Joes with us. It’s filled with granola people who won’t care if you whip your boob out.”

BOOBS.

8. Speaking of boobs.

Me: “Tina Fey and I saw the Batplane being filmed today. The kids were loving it.”

Cousin: “Did you see anyone famous?”

Tina Fey: “Christian Bale. He told me he loves me.”

Me: “She showed him her boobs.”

Tina Fey: “He liked them.”

We are the queens of making shit up.

9. Inside the dark, seedy underbelly of the Dark Knight Rises paparazzi.  Not really.

Absolutely hilarious that the PAs were told to stand in front of him. Next time they should hold him by his forehead and say, “Try to punch me. Missed me. Missed me.”

10. I have a new post up at Pittsburgh Magazine with the behind-the-scenes story of how the Batsignal came to light up the Highmark building.

There is even a picture of the command center that was set up in the Wyndham to project the lasers from.

(Sentences ending in prepositions are where it’s at.)

There were so many great pictures the film office sent me, like these (click each photo to see the hi-res kick you in the heart pics):

This one from Lightwave International:

These from George Thomas Mendel and clicking will give you MUCHO EMBIGGENED HIGH RES.

This just in. Mucho Embiggened would be a great Latin boyband name.

1. AngryMongo
    August 15, 2011 11:52 am

There’s an outdoorsy / camping store for yuppies up in Settlers Ridge which is manned by what my coworkers call, ‘Crunchy People’. They might be an offshoot of Granola People.

2. Joe K.
    August 15, 2011 12:19 pm

Whipping out boobs is OK as long as we have appropriate age restrictions . . .

. . . on the women doing the whipping out!

3. Mark
    August 15, 2011 12:22 pm

Holy Arn City, Batman!

This woman is the best thing in Pittsburgh besides Hines Ward’s smile. Oh, and Heath Miller’s arms. Oh, and Sidney Crosby’s grin. Oh, and Evgeni Malkin’s hidden hotness. And fries on sammiches, and the beer selection at Sidelines …

I mean she is really good, n’at.

4. Mark
    August 15, 2011 12:45 pm

Oh and, read this:

(Cartoon action balloon) (POW!) Take that! grammar police!

August 15, 2011 12:56 pm

for #1) louis ck does an equally (if not a little more profane) hilarious take on this kind of conversation in relation to his 3-year-old daughter: http://youtu.be/4u2ZsoYWwJA

“well, because some things ARE…and some things are NOT.”

“why?”

“well, because things that ARE NOT can’t BE!”….

6. bluzdude
    August 15, 2011 1:06 pm

You can always tell the Granola People because they crunch when they walk and smell vaguely of oats.

7. SpudMom
    August 15, 2011 2:23 pm

I now have a gorgeous new desktop thanks to the high res photos of the batsignal. My city at night + the batsignal? What’s not to love!

8. Butcher's Dog
    August 15, 2011 3:40 pm

My favorite on the end-preposition issue, a quote from Sir Winston Churchill (who knew a thing or two about how to use the language): “This is the type of English up with which I will not put.” And repairing split infinitives is a useless pastime.

9. Christina
    August 15, 2011 5:24 pm

“I will hug you so hard you’ll lose weight”

Weight loss always sounds good to me ;)) !

Donation done.

Cheers, C.

August 15, 2011 5:48 pm

Now THERE’S a comic book movie I might watch.

Batman drives into tree.

Batman runs into utility pole.

Matman falls off building.

After all, he’s however old he was when he was introduced in the 1939 comic book plus 72 years. I mean, we’re talking Geriatricman. He probably should have his license taken away.

August 15, 2011 5:49 pm

Holy Typo!

Batman, not Matman.

Signed,

Geriatriccopyeditorman

12. Colleen
    August 15, 2011 9:55 pm

I’m in the same stage with my four year old. I feel like an encyclopedia with all the information she requests. “why is it raining?” “why do flowers need water?” “where is that guy on the motorcycle going?” “why do we have to take books back to the library?” “which song is your favorite?” “why do you drink so much?” j/k about the last one. . . . sort of. . . ;)

13. Butcher's Dog
    August 16, 2011 9:33 am

For those who take comfort in calling the Pirates ownership cheap, this from the PG Online this morning:

The Pirates spent about $17 million signing draft picks, which will likely place them near the top of the league in terms of total investment for the fourth consecutive year.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11228/1167684-100-0.stm#ixzz1VCMcuIT0

They signed all of their top 10 picks. As always, just sayin’.

14. Beth
    August 16, 2011 8:28 pm

I cannot wait to see this movie. That is all.