QUAKE!

Okay, five minutes ago I was in my kitchen making coffee when my fridge started swaying and I looked around my kitchen and EVERYTHING WAS SWAYING. It lasted about ten seconds or so.

Come to find out an earthquake really did just happen in Virginia, but we felt it here in Pittsburgh.

Two things.

1. Pittsburgh, you are the place that doesn’t have hurricanes ever or tornadoes very often. Earthquakes practically never.  STOP IT.

2. Shit.

3. Where is my Mommy?

4. SHIT.

P.S. This is why I love twitter.

1. Baba Wawa
    August 23, 2011 2:17 pm

i called my mom and she asked if she should go to the basement during an earthquake

2. AngryMongo
    August 23, 2011 2:35 pm

Every couple of minutes, I keep saying, “Didja feel that?” to my co workers… just to be a prick.

3. Cbus Yinzer
    August 23, 2011 2:38 pm

Felt it in Columbus Ohio as well.

Unfortunately nobody here knows what Didja means.

4. Jenny
    August 23, 2011 2:44 pm

Shook me up. I said I live in Pittsburgh because I can handle the snow. Earthquakes, tornados, hurricanes – no thank you.

5. Cassie
    August 23, 2011 2:44 pm

Is this the beginning of things to come? I mean, Irene is on its way. WATCH OUT NOW!

Seriously, though, it woke up one of my three kids. Thank the good lord she’s 6 months old, because the other two would make me spend the next week or two answering the ever so wonderful question, “WHY?” or “What was that?”

6. bigslacker
    August 23, 2011 2:45 pm

It’s all good, I heard Heinz Field is fine. What does Mike Tomlin think about the earthquake? Also I need a word from Hines on the subject….

7. mairinpgh
    August 23, 2011 2:59 pm

best political quip re the quake (sadly can’t take credit): “I think Chris Christie just jumped into the race”

8. Crazy Hat Bitch
    August 23, 2011 3:21 pm

Lost my earthquake virginity today, it wasn’t enjoyable & Pittsburgh doesn’t need anymore thank you!

9. Carpetbagger
    August 23, 2011 3:47 pm

Tsunami warnings have been lifted on the Mon and the Allegheny. Those on the Ohio are still in harm’s way.

10. Burgh Bird
    August 23, 2011 3:49 pm

2ND quake I have felt here. My first was when both my dad and I were home sick with the flu. I might have been in 7th grade. We thought snow had fallen off the roof…it was more of a thud than the back and forth shaking of today…

11. Kathy
    August 23, 2011 3:50 pm

being a Cali girl that was 50 miles from Loma Prieta, I just have to admit I’m laughing at the whole thing. Aerial shots of people in the streets on CNN??? Seriously?

hahahahahaha

12. Pingback: Tuesday Things. | How Sweet It Is

13. iamdanhall
    August 23, 2011 4:04 pm

James Harrison will be fined for a helmet to helmet hit on the state of Virginia…

14. iamdanhall
    August 23, 2011 4:05 pm

seriously though, I felt the shaking on the 28th floor of PPG place, and it was NOT fun – luckily, humor is a great way to cope: see http://jmckinley.posterous.com/dc-earthquake-devastation

15. Pa-pop
    August 23, 2011 4:07 pm

As a volunteer doing what I can to reduce blight in Youngstown neighborhoods, I was sorta hoping for something that would have caused millions of dollars worth of improvements.

16. spoon
    August 23, 2011 4:14 pm

that was good ole Jack Burton starting up the Pork Chop Express. 6.9 on the richter baby!

17. Kathy
    August 23, 2011 4:25 pm

I love how the P-G has a report about where the Steeler were when the quake occurred (THANK GOD THEY WERE ON THE FIELD!!) because that was my first thought — where are the Steelers and are they ok!?!?

18. empirechick
    August 23, 2011 4:45 pm

@Kathy: you can always count on the good ol’ local news – either weather or Steelers, and if they’re both in the same story? Ratings gold!!

August 23, 2011 6:36 pm

WHAT earthquake?

Swear I didn’t feel a thing.

I’m pretty damn disappointed about it, too.

But I just want to add: Big deal. As a professional drinker, I am used to seeing the ground sway. (Can I get a witness, spoon?)

20. bluzdude
    August 23, 2011 6:38 pm

I was on the 13th floor of my office building in downtown Baltimore and we got shook pretty good… 2 episodes of swaying, about 10 seconds apart.

Was kind of unnerving, in that same way as when you’re on an airplane that runs into some turbulence. I felt much better, once I figured out what it was… “Earthquake” was not on the top of my list…

1) someone rolling heavy equipment down the aisle
    2) Construction on the floor below us.
    3) Hurricane Irene arriving early.
    4) Cloverfield-type monster rising from the Chesapeake Bay.
    5) Oh yeah, earthquake.

21. LaReina
    August 23, 2011 8:01 pm

I was in the northern panhandle of WV and didn’t feel a thing, although a friend in Wheeling reported he and his officemates felt it. Even though I experienced some tremors years ago in S.Calif., I’m still feeling left out, somehow.

22. johnaz6312
    August 23, 2011 8:40 pm

I have been living out here in Arizona for 12 years now and I’m still waiting for the big one to drop “Cali”(yes that is what is called here) into the ocean.

Finally beach front property baby!!! Here in Arizona we need it and deserve it!

23. spoon
    August 23, 2011 9:19 pm

@bucdaddy WITNESS

24. Mark
    August 23, 2011 10:37 pm

It’s the End Of The World. again.

25. Larry
    August 23, 2011 11:45 pm

Trust me… it was a lot more impressive an event here in DC. And yes, when I’m back home for good, I’ll be pretty happy that the ‘burgh tends not to get quakes…!

26. Dan (Not Onorato)
    August 24, 2011 8:28 am

Just figured Casey Hampton dropped his tray of fluffernutters in Latrobe…

27. Scott
    August 24, 2011 9:01 am

In the next edition of Webster’s, there’ll be a picture of 8-23-11 next to the definition for “overreaction”…

28. Burgh Bird
    August 24, 2011 10:35 am

Scott- THANK YOU. I wanted to shout at everyone on facebook yesterday “Pixburgh- Comm Dahn n’at”

29. aunt_chilada
    August 24, 2011 12:00 pm

My candles fell over,

still waiting for my FEMA $$$$.

@johnaz- everytime I visit my parents in Phx I feel those Cali aftershocks.
    “oceanfront Property in AZ” if I buy that will you throw the goldengate in for free?

August 24, 2011 2:12 pm

Waiting in the West Virginia hills for the Big Tsunami to bring the beach to me.

– Global Warming Fan

31. johnaz6312
    August 25, 2011 1:18 pm

@ aunt_chilada. I can give no guarantees on the “Goldengate bridge” but we do have the “London Bridge” here in Arizona. How’s that? Get your FEMA money yet?

32. cathy
    September 12, 2011 12:45 am

I was at the Baltimore Maryland air port and I FELT it….