Random n’at

1. The sister of mine that writes better than I do, and always always has, has started a blog and I’m working to get permission to share it with you.

This might be difficult in light of the fact that I recently very publicly posted some less than flattering pictures of her on this here blog.

2. Casey Hampton has a fight song!

(h/t @observacious on twitter who even wrote the fight song joke! My work is easy.)

3. Burgher Andy Kelemen is a top ten finalist in the Universal Studios 2011 Halloween Horror Nights Short Film competition!

His is entitled “103” and is the tensest three minutes of the brightest scary movie you have ever seen.

I’m so used to my scary stuff being dark and black and dreary and doomy.

This is stark and white and very discombobulating.

Have a look and VOTE BURGH!

4. This Pittsburgh Gigapan is so awesome and so clear you can probably pick your car out of the Station Square parking lot. I just spent 30 minutes looking at peoples’ balcony furniture on the North Side. Love the red chairs!

Dear CMU, do this again at night so we can look in peoples’ windows.

Signed, Nebby Debby.

(h/t Jenny)

5. Benny as a high school senior from Sports Illustrated.

I’m disappointed he was in the class of 2000. I’m old.

I’m VERY disappointed that there are no lasers. WTF?

Someone Photoshop that shit. Put a cat in there too.

Also, you know Benny’s minions are Blingee-ing that thing to sparkle heart heaven.

(h/t Kacie)

6.  September 3 is International Vulture Awareness Day and the Aviary has a bunch of stuff planned to honor the vulture.

For its part, the National Aviary will hold a full day of activities and programming focusing on vultures on September 3. The day will include a trainer-led feeding in the outdoor Andean condor exhibit;  talks; a condor wingspan display that allows visitors to compare their arms with a condor’s wings; a vulture biofact table; and a scavenger fact hunt with prizes for those that find all their cluesChildren will have the opportunity to make their own vulture mask, play a vulture population game, and learn about vultures at a special story time.

I need a pin to wear that day that says “I’m AWARE that vultures kick pigeon ass.”

Amen.

7. While Googling to confirm that vultures do in fact eat pigeons, I stumbled upon this poem by Jean de La Fontaine called The Vultures and The Pigeons. A snippet:

They tried their hand at mediation–
To reconcile the foes, or part.
The pigeon people duly chose
Ambassadors, who work’d so well
As soon the murderous rage to quell,
And stanch the source of countless woes.
A truce took place, and peace ensued.
Alas! the people dearly paid
Who such pacification made!
Those cursed hawks at once pursued
The harmless pigeons, slew and ate,
Till towns and fields were desolate.

First, this is pigeon propoganda.

Second, MWAH-HAHAH!

8.  Your Pittsburgh Pirates are only eight games from .500 ball! Shut up. It’s lonely on the bandwagon.

Also, if you need reason to join me on the bandwagon despite the Buccos’ dismal performance of late, here’s the other version of the bandwagon that Mitch Donaberger drew for me.

See if you can spot the BIG GIANT BOOBIES!

(click to embiggen)

Boom.

1. Kim Z.
    August 26, 2011 2:38 pm

Glad to be of assistance.

As for #5, these 11 years have been hard on Benny’s face. He’s a reverse Dorian Gray. (Look it up.)

2. Z
    August 26, 2011 2:49 pm

OMG, Benny was a good looking kid. What happened?

3. Erin
    August 26, 2011 2:56 pm

That film is amazing! So impressed with what people can do with “short” film. Totally scary! Who is that actress, btw? I know I recognize her.

What a DB pose for Roethlisberger’s picture.

4. Moxie Bestos
    August 26, 2011 3:57 pm

I would totally find my car in the Station Square parking lot if the Mellon building wasn’t in the way. The Mellon sign hasn’t been green in a while, though so it must be an older photo. It’s now a white BNY Mellon sign. Still blocks my car.

5. Baba Wawa
    August 26, 2011 4:54 pm

i totally misread #4…couldn’t understand why anyone would be looking for their cat in station square

6. Kacie
    August 26, 2011 5:34 pm

I forgot to mention that in the link of the yearbook pic of Benny, there’s one of Hines Ward:

You must see it.

7. Lisa J
    August 26, 2011 5:48 pm

I don’t see anyone holding margaritas on that there bandwagon. WHERE ARE THE MARGARITAS?? I was promised margaritas if I jumped on. I’m on (Let’s pretend I’m the boob girl).

8. Burgh Bird
    August 26, 2011 11:48 pm

Kacie- Thanks for that link. It allowed me to find out that I hate Tom Brady even more now that I know he took his senior picture in a friggin tuxedo. Who does that?

August 27, 2011 9:03 am

4. Looks like I picked a bad day for me and that supermodel to sunbathe nude outside my penthouse condo on the top floor of the USX building.

(As a side note, Google was in my BiL’s neighborhood doing that thing where they attempt to photograph every street in America, and the image of his house has his dog taking a dump in the front yard.)

10. Judi B
    August 27, 2011 9:15 am

Hang in there, Ginny! I’m still on the wagon with you. And…no…that’s not me with the boobs.

11. Butcher's Dog
    August 27, 2011 1:01 pm

Click to embiggen. If only real life were that easy.

12. Trish
    August 27, 2011 8:21 pm

Disappoint you, I hate to–that picture of Ben has been floating around teh intarwebs for years. Looks like the donuts and Red Bull and vodkas caught up to him, though.

13. AngryMongo
    August 29, 2011 7:58 am

@Kacie – Not so much Hines Ward, but man look at the vest on the other guy. Looks like Sinbad.

And Brett Favre looked like a Lerp, even back then. He’s probably drawing a picture of little Favre to pass to the girl who works for the school paper.

What’s really sad is looking at how many of those athletes are within a year of my graduating year. I totally wasted my life… :)

14. Kathy
    August 29, 2011 9:29 am

No need to embiggen. :D

15. Dacey
    September 2, 2011 2:13 am

That’s really sad for you and i think he looks great in picture since he is handsome and a great sportsman.I like your article