1. The Pittsburgh fine art photo print giveaway is still active and you can enter until noon tomorrow.
In addition, the Fresh Factory giveaway was such a hit that Dan from Fresh Factory is giving my readers 20% off their shirt orders!
Simply use the code CHURCH when you checkout!
2. Over at the magazine where I’ve written about the proper and improper places you should don your Steelers gear, this comment by Anonymous has killed me. KILLED ME!
I don’t care what Pittsburghers wear; my standards in general are pretty low. However… we have a boob problem in this city — a very serious boob problem, Pittsburgh. Boobs belong front and center – not wandering off under your armpit to grab a latte. Free-roaming breasts are the scourge of Market Square… of every square. This city needs help. No child left behind? No breast left behind!
Who wrote that? I must know.
No breast left behind. Love it!
[checks her armpits for her breasts]
3. In light of a sign I saw recently at my local post office and in light of a conversation I had with Tina Fey and my eight-year-old nephew from Texas about “buggies” and “glove boxes/compartments,” I’m working on my November column for Pittsburgh Magazine and have asked via Twitter if any ex-pat Burghers out there have humorous stories to share about using Pittsburghese in their new towns only to be met with blank stares. If you have a story to share, email me at virginia[at]thatschurch[dot]com. I’d also love to hear if you’ve managed to get your non-Pittsburgh raised children to use Burghisms at all.
I gotta tell you. I’m a little disappointed in Tina Fey. Grocery carts?! Whoever heard of such a thing?
[raises the roof and gets jiggy with it]
5. The Burgher who coined the amazing term “gruesomely huge” (somewhere Casey Hampton’s nose started itching), Chatham professor Michael Habib is in the news again this time for his involvement with Discovery Channel’s “Dinosaur Revolution.”
Not only that, but also, THIS:
In addition to the Chatham professor, “Dinosaur Revolution” also includes commentary from another Pittsburgher: Matt Lamanna, paleontologist at the Carnegie Museum of Natural History.
It’s no secret I have a gruesomely huge crush on Dr. Lamanna and have since the day he took the job at the Carnegie when I saw his picture in the paper and then self-united to him and wrote our names on a tree in blood. What?
I am loving this picture of Mike Habib:
(image courtesy of Chatham University)
I bet that bird has a gruesomely huge cloaca.
You can catch Mike and Matt (who should totally get their own dinosaur show on Discovery and call it The Mike and Matt Show or Mike and Matt: Dinosaur Guys or something along those completely witty lines) this Sunday from 9-11 p.m.
Just be sure to step off, n’at.
I have never wanted anything more and they’ve already been taken off the etsy shop. Sad panda.
7. Headline: “Fatty substance spills into Mon River”
Me: “Something something Casey Hampton?”
8. My latest post is up at Pittsburgh Magazine and it’s my Yinzer Gift Guide ’11: Steelers Edition!
You won’t believe the awesome black and gold stuff I found. Garden gnomes and tiny umbrellas and notepads and hair clips and t-shirts and even A PIMP CUP!
Show of hands if you are about to go Google pimp cup?