Not ready for his close-up.

The Post-Gazette has had it out for Mayor Lukey lately, running a long story about how Lukey is absent more often than not from important city events and tragedies (which, rumors of Lukey being a no-show for work have been running rampant for a year now), and then following that up with an editorial saying pretty much the same thing except with more cowbell.

So it should be no surprise that following yesterday’s hearing on the East End flooding which tragically claimed four lives (I’m still shaken up by that. Turn around. Don’t drown. I will never make fun of that again.) — a hearing during which you know John Heller took a nice plethora of images of Mayor Lukey appearing interested and concerned, the Post-Gazette chose to run this particular shot on page B1 today, in a nice 5 x 7 size:

Could he LOOK any more disinterested?! [/Chandler Bing]

And that, children, is called bias in the newspaper.

Hilariously obvious “pick the picture that makes him look like he is totally bored and wants to dig in his ear and then pick his nose and then smell it before demanding a juice box!” bias.

[golf clap]

1. Mary
    September 7, 2011 10:58 am

This picture begs for snark for so many reasons. We really are the worst dressed city.

2. Butcher's Dog
    September 7, 2011 11:02 am

Yeah, it’s bad that mainstream media pick the worst possible pictures to run. I think political campaigns should sue for unauthorized use of the idea they started.

3. Xavier
    September 7, 2011 11:42 am

To me, it looks like Hizzoner may be positioning for the up-skirt.

4. Bram R
    September 7, 2011 11:46 am

Maybe we need moar bias in our noozpapers.

5. Jake
    September 7, 2011 11:50 am

I think they’re just trying to document his normal behavior in an environment where he’s not busy humping legs for votes.

September 7, 2011 11:51 am

The angle isn’t exactly flattering to the woman at the microphone, either. If I ran that photo in the paper (and laying out newspaper pages is what I do), I’d most likely catch hell from my editor not for making the mayor look bad but for making it look like the speaker has rhino legs. She’s innocent in all this and should not be held up to ridicule. In fact she should be applauded (unlike most people who bitch about a problem and do nothing) for getting off her ass and speaking up.

Hizzoner, I couldn’t care less about. He signed up for the job of Looking Ridiculous in Chief.

7. Al Lambrini
    September 7, 2011 1:00 pm

That clown sets himself giving the press these kind of shots for years. He knows there is a news buzz about his less than perfect attendence record attention span and just tee’s these up for who ever happens to be on assignment that day. Obviously he does not care one way or another or he would not drift off in front of a camera.

8. Different Brian
    September 7, 2011 2:07 pm

Sometimes I feel bad for Lukey, yeah it can be hard to juggle a schedule. Sure maybe his scheduler thinks touring some building thats going to be remodeled is more important than, say, the Handicapped Veterans Games. Thats not him, though, thats the scheduler. But then I read the line: “It’s the nature of being mayor. Those who suggest otherwise clearly have no comprehension of the facts, or more likely a political ax to grind.”

I suspect that:
    a. using words like “clearly” when talking down to your critics isn’t the best idea
    2. the schedule is all the facts one needs
    iii. it is Hizzoner who has an ax to grind

But as long as he runs he will be re-elected due to the D next to his name. So we might as well learn to love him.

9. pgh131
    September 7, 2011 2:30 pm

There is nothing to love about Lukey!

10. Kathy
    September 7, 2011 3:22 pm

I am betting he left right after this picture was taken…..

11. Lisa
    September 7, 2011 6:44 pm

Why is it considered bias in the newspaper? If that’s how he behaves in public, what’s wrong with the paper printing a picture of it/calling him out on it? People died and he’s rolling his eyes and pickin’ taters outta his ears? He should know better. One never knows who is taking a picture or where it will show up.

12. Shelley
    September 8, 2011 11:18 am

You know things must be bad when a newpaper like the Post-Gazette (compared to the conservative Trib) is now taking shots at the Mayor. Maybe it’s time for Pittsburgh to realize that just because you’re a democrat doesn’t mean you’re the best person for the job.

13. katiesge
    September 8, 2011 11:57 am

Bias in the newspaper is the reason I stopped buying the PG. I wish they would stop the incessant phone calls begging me to re-subscribe.

14. Ravishing Rick
    September 8, 2011 11:59 am

He’s glad she didn’t have beans and haluski before the meeting

15. Andrea
    September 8, 2011 2:01 pm

I feel worse for the poor lady who got her picture taken at an unflattering angle than I do for him. Much worse. Still, that photo is hilarious.