Random n’at

(Photo from Philip G. Pavely/Trib)

1. Today, despite having not heard the song since it was popular mumble years ago, I got Cher’s “Just Like Jesse James” stuck in my head.

That’s messed up shit, as earworms go. I’d rather have Air Supply stuck in there.

Shit. Now I have Air Supply stuck in there.

2. My fourth self-united husband Joe Manganiello is in town this week as he visits his alma mater Mt. Lebanon High School to accept an award and also hosts a fundraiser for SICK KIDS. He spent some time yesterday visiting kids on the 9th floor of Children’s Hospital, the Oncology and “Frequent Fliers” floor, which you remember we outfitted this spring with gaming thanks to Make Room for Kids.

See. I don’t just pick hot self-united husbands. I pick kindred spirits. Bosom friends. Good neighbors.

Step off.

3. I’m attending the showing of Wicked Thursday night with my sister Princess Aurora of Wexfordhampsminstershire and I am dying to find out what all the fuss is about this show. My mother has been going on about it forever, it seems. Almost all of the shows are sold out, but that doesn’t mean you can’t snag a ticket now that the Cultural Trust has announced a $25 ticket lottery for Orchestra seats!

A day-of-performance lottery for a limited number of orchestra seats will be held daily for WICKED, which will be performing from Wednesday, September 7 through Sunday, October 2, at the Benedum Center.  Each day, 2½ hours prior to show time people who present themselves at the Theater Square Box Office, 655 Penn Avenue, downtown Pittsburgh will have their names placed in a lottery drum and then thirty minutes later, names will be drawn for a limited number of orchestra seats at $25 each, cash only.  This lottery is available only in-person at the box office, with a limit of two tickets per person.

Awesome and worth the shot.

4. The Sidney Crosby presser was exactly what we thought it would be. Sid feels better, up to 80-90%, but still no timetable for his return.

However, the good news is that his doctors are optimistic he will have a long career.

All we know for sure right now is this: Sid is in town and he is still super adorable.

Also, Sid’s doctor called Sid a Ferrari.

Should I be worried my doctor calls me a Winnebago?

What?

5.  Local band 1-2-3, the duo behind the Work song and video that I love so much, have a show coming up this Sunday at Mr. Smalls!

I’ve never been to Mr. Smalls. Does that make me a bad Burgher?

6. One of the prizes for the Rachel Carson Homestead Raffle is pretty freaking awesome and involves my charter self-united husband:

City councilman Bill Peduto and actor David Conrad have agreed to donate their time as an amazing prize package in the Community Experiences Raffle. The two have agreed to team up on  September 24th, 2011, at 1:00pm  and act as personal chefs for one lucky winner and 10 of their closest friends. They will barbecue and socialize at the Homestead (food and beer provided by RCHA).

Details here!

7. Pittsburgh police are working hard to eradicate drug dealers from downtown via Operation: Stink Bug.

Man, I have said this before and I will say it again now. I would REALLY like to be the person who gets to name operations.

Operation: Hellfire Scourge Death Bomb

Operation: Incontinent Tarantula

Operation: Oozing Orifice

Operation: Son of McBeam

How awesome would it be to hear Ken Rice be all, “Pittsburgh police rounded up 23 suspected downtown drug dealers today via Operation: Teat of Goat …”

8. The Seattle Seahawks cut Jeff Skippy Skeeve Foul Dwarf Reed who they signed after he was released by the team that wears the gold pants. I’m not good with names.

One writer with Seattle Weekly is sad about it:

The proximate cause of Reed’s dismissal was the fact that only three of his five kickoffs in the Seahawks’ preseason finale on Friday made it to the end zone. At 32, he’s getting on in years, especially considering that he’s lived many of those years to a remarkable degree of excess.

“Remarkable degree of excess.”

I like that. It makes all the drinking and whoring he did sound so refined.

I’m going to steal that.

• “But officer! I wasn’t stalking Jeff Jimmerson; I was just observing him with a remarkable degree of excess.”
  • “I didn’t inhale a jar of Nutella; I simply partook of it to a remarkable degree of excess.”
  • “I didn’t murder the pigeon; I simply tased it to a remarkable degree of excess.”
  • “The Pirates are sucking to a remarkable degree of excess lately.”

9. Remarkable Degree of Excess would make a good band name.

So would Teat of Goat.

1. Burgh Bird
    September 7, 2011 10:25 pm

I saw Wicked a few years ago, the last time it was here (I’m going again on Sunday). I LOVED it. Lots of “life lessons” about being different/unique/yourself. Right/Wrong. Forgiveness. Relationships. Jealousy & competition. Belief in yourself. I dare you to come out of it without singing “Defying Gravity”. Dammitt, now I’m gonna have to youtube it to pre-game.

September 8, 2011 1:16 am

Nothing against Mr. Small’s, I’ve been there three times and it’s a pretty good venue, just be prepared to stand all night, as there are maybe three chairs in the entire building.

Sometimes us old(er) guys get a sore back, is why I mention it.

3. heather
    September 8, 2011 8:19 am

I’m with Burgh Bird; I saw it twice last time it was here and I’m seeing it again this time around (taking my niece to see it this time). Love it. Now I have “Defying Gravity” stuck in my head…. :-) Time to listen to the soundtrack on my iPod!

4. Erin
    September 8, 2011 9:13 am

I love Air Supply! To a remarkable degree of excess!

5. burghbaby
    September 8, 2011 9:23 am

Two posts in a row with mmmhmmmm photos? YES! Feel free to keep it up.

6. Rachel
    September 8, 2011 9:31 am

Wicked is an awesome show, with awesome music. I also saw it the last time it was here and will be going next Thursday. Hope you enjoy it!

7. Scott
    September 8, 2011 9:59 am

Yes…you need to get to Mr. Small’s. It is an excellent venue to see a show….but a loooooong way from where you live!

8. empirechick
    September 8, 2011 10:05 am

I just thought of another ‘back in time’ place: I would love to go back to Nov 2003 to see Idina Menzel and Kristin Chenoweth in the original broadway production of Wicked. To see them live would be glorious! (I’m catching this production on 9/29.)

9. bluzdude
    September 8, 2011 10:06 am

Operation Foul Dwarf?

10. Pensgirl
    September 8, 2011 10:22 am

I saw “Wicked” in July, and it is positively delightful. I’d heard such superlatives that I couldn’t help but think it had to be at least somewhat overrated, but nope – completely blew me away.

11. Butcher's Dog
    September 8, 2011 10:39 am

I’ve seen Wicked three times, once on Broadway. I, too, defy you to leave the place and NOT be singing “Defying Gravity”. As a side note, just about every 15-year-old girl I’ve ever directed on stage would have herself dyed green permanently if she could play Elpheba. Just another in an endless list of reasons why 15-year-old girls should be closely monitored at all times. Just sayin’

12. Ravishing Rick
    September 8, 2011 11:29 am

Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah
    Bring back what’s her face

13. Jaime
    September 8, 2011 1:02 pm

I LOVE Wicked as much hate “The Wizard of Oz”. Yes, I do hate TWoO.

14. AngryMongo
    September 8, 2011 1:07 pm

MY doctor would call me an ambulance due to my remarkable degrees of excess.

15. Butcher's Dog
    September 8, 2011 2:11 pm

@Jaime: I’m on your side in opposition of TWoO. Can’t stand it. Love me some Wicked, though.

16. Carpetbagger
    September 8, 2011 2:56 pm

“Remarkable degree of excess.” That makes it sound acceptable. It’s like saying Mayor Lukey is not around much because he suffers from an “Acute administrative malaise.”

17. Monty
    September 8, 2011 3:26 pm

I’m told that if you start Kevin Federline’s “Playing with Fire” album right as the lights dim for Wicked, there are some remarkable coincidences.

For example, right as the opening bass line of “Dance with a Pimp” begins, the green lady starts to drop it like its hot on a munchkin.

18. Burgh Bird
    September 8, 2011 4:43 pm

Monty- Winning!

19. Scott
    September 8, 2011 5:28 pm

Monty…well played.

20. KKinLA
    September 8, 2011 10:00 pm

Ginny – the cure for any earworm is “Born in the USA.” Try it! It works! You’ll get rid of Meatloaf, “Come Come my Lady,” “I’ve got Friends in Lowly Places,” what have you…for whatever reason, Springsteen doesn’t get stuck!

21. BeckyS
    September 8, 2011 10:09 pm

Girl, get yourself to Mr. Small’s ASAP. No finer place in the ‘Burg.

September 8, 2011 11:08 pm

great, now I have born in the usa stuck in my head. goddammit.

as for wicked, yeah….I have to say….it was much better than I expected.

September 8, 2011 11:10 pm

oh, and as for smalls…..yeah, great sound for the most part. and, not too shitty beer selection.

September 9, 2011 1:02 am

BeckyS,

Altar Bar > Small’s.

25. red pen mama
    September 9, 2011 9:23 am

In no particular order: Damn that Sidney Crosby is a good looking kid. I’d go cougar for him.

Wicked is one musical theater show I would like to see. I’m not a musical theater kind of person, but next time around, I may make an effort to get tickets. I’ve heard too many good things.

The opening image of JM with a girl who is probably a SICK KID made me for a brief, mad moment jealous of her. Which is just stupid because I’m sure she is struggling with things I can’t even imagine. I’m going to go hug my kids now. And, er, urge my husband to do some sit ups.

I want to see 1,2,3. *sigh* not gonna happen this weekend. I, too, have never been to Mr. Smalls.

September 9, 2011 2:17 pm

Kelli,

Altar Bar > Small’s >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Homestead Library, which is where DBTs are booked 11/15.