Random n’at

1.  PodCamp is this weekend and there’s still time to register if you want to go to the free un-conference! I’ll be at the Meet n’ Greet at AlphaLab on Friday night and then hopefully there for a portion of the day Saturday.

I’ll be the curly-haired chick heckling Burgh Baby during her sessions.

2.  The ScareHouse has a new Pittsburgh Zombies area in the haunt in which they paid homage to the Primanti’s wall by creating their own zombified version of it. A version that includes me and Burgh Baby and Troy Polamalu and the folks over at 96.1.

It’s a huge honor and you can read about it and see it in this post I wrote over at Pittsburgh Magazine.

BRAINNNNZ.

Also, here’s something I wonder, why did the artist give me head wrinkles while Michelle has skin as smooth as glass?

Hmm?!

I think I’ll eat that artist’s brainz.

3. I’m getting close to putting together the Burgh Tattoos post, so please, if you haven’t already, send me pics of your Burghy tattoos! Email them to virginia [at] thatschurch.com.

I can’t wait to share with you what I’ve been emailed so far!  Two words: Turner’s Iced Tea.

I mean … THREE WORDS.

4. You remember the ultra-cool and witty Burgher Jessie Landis-Eigsti who writes awesome reviews of random stuff on his blog Jessie Reviews the World?

Jessie’s latest post is a list and not so much a review. In it Jessie lists “Things I ate Today, Described Pretentiously.”

It is a must-read post. I often wonder when I go to a fancy restaurant why everything has to be described so pretentiously. “Tonight we have Europe’s finest cave aged cheddar cheese paired generously with dual portions of baked dough from the central core of the grain.”

You mean grilled cheese on white bread?

For brunch, Jesse had the following:

Fortified crystals of Asian paddy rice, infused with rich Cote D’Ivoire cocoa and lively coconut oil, bathed in fresh Holstein milk

You will NEVER guess what that is.

5.  Pittsburgh is the flirtiest city in America!

How YOU doin’?

[wink]

[BEWBS]

What?

6. Two local airmen returned home to meet their babies for the first time. The video is so cute and moving, but I gotta tell you, in the first ten seconds I was kinda hoping Keith Jones would come to regret riding the airport escalator down backwards while talking to the camera.

VIRAL VIDEO.

7. I can’t remember if I’ve ever shared this video with you.

This must be old age setting in.

Where are my pants?

[BEWBS]

What?

YouTube Preview Image

(h/t My Dad)

8. The vendor at PNC Park who I love has been identified as 23-year-old Matt Lane. The Trib even did a story on him back in 2009 and talked about his singing!

(Trib/Christopher Horner)

That’s Church: Getting to the bottom of shit since 2005.

[awkward kung fu moves]

1. bluzdude
    September 15, 2011 4:33 pm

Sorry, someone else is going to have to stalk you at Podcamp… I can’t make it this year.

Stupid insufficient credit card points…

At least my brain will stay safe…

2. spoon
    September 15, 2011 4:33 pm

You better be at the Meet n Greet young lady. I’m bringing many cases of delicious Erie Brewing beverages for consumption. Plus you’ll get to see my new badass drinking hat. I use it to kill zombies. Its in the rules somewhere.

3. Bram R
    September 15, 2011 7:05 pm

“Pittsburgh got the nod thanks to a record 64 virtual ‘winks’ during a study … A “wink” is a Tagged.com point-and-click feature — like a Facebook “poke,” except more direct, and intended to let someone know you want to flirt with them, not just say hello.”

I think … I think this is a measure of something else.

4. cmd_45
    September 15, 2011 9:46 pm

I have to guess the mystery “gourmet” meal was cocoa crispies?

5. Burgh Bird
    September 15, 2011 10:21 pm

I’ve seen that Pittsburgh video before- I forgot it gives a shout out to Henrietta Pussycat by saying “Meow Meow”….Love it.

September 16, 2011 1:18 am

???

I thought that was Troysus with the head wrinkles.

Hey, spoon, so I was sitting at the bar in Jay’s Getaway on Saturday night, downing the last of my draft Blue Moon Octoberfest, and most of the bar had cleared out when I noticed two bowls half filled with something dark sitting abandoned on the bar a few seats down.

“What’s that?” I asked the barkeep. “Trappiste?” I’d seen him clear off the bottles.

“Yeah. I sure hate to pour out good beer.”

“6, 8 or 10?”

“10, it’s 11.3%.”

“Whoo, that’s, what, $7, $8 a bottle?”

“$8.50.”

Hmmm …

“Help me drink it?”

He made some excuse about having to run a triathlon the next day.

I thought about it … and I handed him my pint glass and a dollar and said, “Get me a clean one.”

I figured you’d approve.

7. Butcher's Dog
    September 16, 2011 8:11 am

@spoon: Erie Brewing Company? Like, Railbender ‘n ‘at? We get some of that here in Mercer County at times.

Speaking of which, bucdaddy, I’m claiming awesomeness #2 with this one: a guy robbed a jewelry store in Sharon, then when the owner posted a reward for helping catch the crook he called in and offered to do anything he could to help. Cops found the stolen stuff at his place when they went to talk to him. Add that to the drunken Amish guys sexually harassing 12-year-olds at a horse auction I mentioned last week. Scores should be posted prominently.

8. burghbaby
    September 16, 2011 8:46 am

I will trade you four head wrinkles for the wonky eyes.

9. Jen M
    September 16, 2011 8:56 am

Has to be Cocoa Krispies. :-)

10. Shannon
    September 16, 2011 9:29 am

Yay! Glad you discovered the name of this awesome vendor.

~Shannon (@BrassyLibrarian)

September 16, 2011 9:56 am

Fayette 1
    Westmoreland 0
    Mercer 2

Is Westmoreland really trying? Are you trying, Westmoreland? Everybody look at Westmoreland.

12. Virginia
    September 16, 2011 10:15 am

Bucdaddy, how soon we forget about the Westmoreland former beauty queen who beat the shit out of her sister with her sister’s prosthetic leg when they got into a fight in their trailer.

I’m pretty sure that’s like a billion points.

Westmoreland wins.

September 16, 2011 10:37 am

We drew the line about two weeks ago. You don’t get retroactive credit, else the standings would look like this:

Fayette: eleventy billion
    Westmoreland: gajillion
    Mercer: googol

14. Jesse
    September 16, 2011 10:38 am

Jen M (and cmd45), you’re so close…it in fact Cocoa Dyno-Bites, the off-brand bag version of Coca Krispies.

15. WIMom
    September 16, 2011 10:55 am

Love the video- haven’t lived in the Burgh for many years so there were many great memories. But, I have converted my Italian husband to declaring that Mancini’s has the best Italian bread in the world. He is more than willing to go to Pgh just to get the bread.

16. Butcher's Dog
    September 16, 2011 12:32 pm

@Virginia: what bucdaddy said.

17. Pingback: Pittsburgh rules, and that’s church. - Bait & Switch Music

18. Roxy
    September 19, 2011 1:31 pm

Unfortunatly I didn’t make it to PodCamp this year :( I went to register and all I could get were VIP tickets.