Maverick and Joey

My butler/good friend Mike Woycheck is a Tom Cruise fan and a Katie Holmes fan, so when he texted me yesterday that he happened to walk past Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes with their daughter at a farm in the North Hills, I was enthusiastic in encouraging him to say hello to them.

I mean, first of all, that’s a once in a lifetime chance to meet the biggest movie star on the planet, and second of all, he’s the biggest movie star on the planet; if he was in a bad mood and didn’t want to be bothered by fans, he wouldn’t go out and about so blatantly.

So Mike said hello to them and chatted with them briefly. His little dispatch:

They were very gracious – took the time to talk, shake hands, and say hello. They were appreciative of the hospitality (thanking Pittsburgh) and said they were having a great time. And Suri is adorable. Totally were a family having a nice Sunday afternoon.

Here’s a pic he snapped after I texted him all, “GET A PIC PLEASEE1111asd;fkjwr!!!!!!!1sdlfkj!”

So, there you have it!  The Tom Cruises are in town (The New Hollywood) and they are actually enjoying the city instead of hiding and they are adorable and my butler has earned a bazillion infinity cool points.

I hope they’re transferable because I could use a few hundred thousand. I HAVE A DEBBIE GIBSON PANDORA STATION FOR THE LOVE OF GOD.

1. Magnus Patris
    September 26, 2011 10:32 am

I have the need; the need for PUMPKINS!

2. Magnus Patris
    September 26, 2011 10:34 am

Sorry, I know it’s “I feel the need…” Now SHOW ME THE PUMPKINS!

3. Jen M
    September 26, 2011 10:36 am

Hehehehe we were there too and they were doing Spin Art with Suri while my daughter and I were riding the train right next to them. It was very sweet–they were just enjoying some nice family time together. P.S. I got pics too… ;-)

4. Naten53
    September 26, 2011 11:01 am

GOAL: Get that picture on TMZ with the caption,

New Tom Cruise movie ‘Attack of the Giant Pumpkin’

5. Shelley
    September 26, 2011 11:04 am

Okay, I was never really a Tom Cruise fan but this just made me like him a lot more. Looks like they were having a nice day. (And Magnus Patris- LOL!)

6. Dave T
    September 26, 2011 11:34 am

I didn’t realize Tom Cruise was so short that he’s shorter than a pumpkin…

7. Magnus Patris
    September 26, 2011 12:45 pm

Tom: Mr. Soergel, did you order the Hot Apple Cider?
    Mrs. Soergel: You *don’t* have to answer that question!
    Mr. Soergel: I’ll answer the question! You want answers?
    Tom: I think I’m entitled to.
    Mr. Soergel: You want answers?
    Tom: I want the pumpkins!
    Mr. Soergel: You can’t handle the pumpkins!

Okay, I’m done now.

8. red pen mama
    September 26, 2011 12:46 pm

That is pretty cool. Tom didn’t try to recruit Woy into Scientology, did he? (I couldn’t resist!)

If we saw ANYONE famous, ever, in public, I would send in my husband. That man can (and will) talk casually to anybody. Unless it is one of the DIY guys in our local home improvement store. Then I would have to execute a full body tackle and drag them to my house. We need some remodeling. Everywhere.

9. WIMom
    September 26, 2011 1:16 pm

I see that Tom is still wearing those Top Gun sunglasses.

10. Bram R
    September 26, 2011 1:27 pm

If I starred in Top Gun, I’d take those sunglasses to the grave with me too.

I can just see Perez Hilton gaining hold of this photo and his ears steaming. “Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes … at a playground … in Pittsburgh … apple cider … WORSHIPPING THE GREAT PUMPKIN! GAH! I’VE GOT NOTHING! WHITE DOTS, WHITE DOTS!”

11. Kathy B
    September 26, 2011 1:53 pm

I think this is totally cool. Such big movie stars but walking around enjoying a family day without all the bodyguards and pretentious bullcrap. Tom is awesome :)

12. Cassie
    September 26, 2011 2:31 pm

I honestly think that Pittsburgh is a great place for filming simply because most of us won’t go out of our way to hunt them down.

Except for when that dude from those Twilight movies was here. I heard there was some major stalking going on. (Thought I swear to god IT WASN’T ME.)

13. SpudMom
    September 26, 2011 4:10 pm

@KathyB, actually I think it should be “Pittsburgh is awesome.” You know they couldn’t do this in LA or NY. They’d be mobbed. But here they get to be an ordinary family doing ordinary family stuff while schmoozing us local joes in a low-key way. That must be a relief for them.

September 26, 2011 4:42 pm

in a world……

…..where one young man believed in the greatest of pumpkins……

…..and, everyone else thought he was nuts.

good grief.

tom cruise as linus.

katie holmes as lucy.

and, introducing, suri cruise as snoopy.

in…

“it’s the great pumpkin, charlie brown!”

15. VAgirl
    September 26, 2011 5:41 pm

Just heard Mike Harvey on WTAE try to make a joke about Tom’s height. As a short person and married to one who is the same height, I didn’t dig it and changed the chanel to KDKA. Wendy called him on it. Dave T is he really shorter than a pumpkin, come on get real. Do you feel like a bigger person now…no I don’t think so.

September 27, 2011 10:55 am

Tom will never be short where it counts: Short of cash.

Tom wins.

And yeah, I hope the rest of the Burghers have the good sense to leave these people alone, or at least just to wave and say “Hello! Thanks for coming here and leaving wads of studio cash behind!” when they’re out and about.

Envision the Cruises going back to H’wood and telling their movie-type friends they just spent a month in Pittsburgh.

“PITTSburgh?” their friends will say. “Isn’t that place a sh*thole? That’s what that semifamous actress said.”

And the Cruises being all, “Hey now! It’s a really nice place, the people were very cool to us, we took Suri to a pumpkin farm and we had a great day and nobody bothered us except some guy who called himself Ginny’s Butler” etc. etc.

Word of mouth is strong advertising, people.

17. Dan (Not Onorato)
    September 27, 2011 11:38 am

I think its cool that they can come out and do things as a family without being hounded. I hope they enjoy themselves and can “relax” while theyre here.

And really? The entire height thing is so old. Move along.

September 27, 2011 11:59 am

@bucdaddy…I constantly have to defend pittsburgh as a city that actually does stuff other than steel and has the occasional blue sky.

apparently, the “most liveable city” thing ain’t doing the trick.

19. Carol
    September 27, 2011 2:42 pm

Thumbs up for another movie being made in Pittsburgh.
    Huge thumbs down for Tom Cruise starring in this particular movie. His character Jack Reacher is 6’5″ …yes, 6’5″ All fans of Lee Child’s books are horrified. /sigh

20. Pingback: The Blog of Burgher Jon » Sauerkraut Sunday: Last Chance for Oktoberfest Edition