A neighborly day in this beauty wood

Let’s continue with the Mister Rogers theme, why not?

Next Tuesday is the Pittsburgh Foundation’s Day of Giving, a 24-hour period where the Foundation will match a gift you give to any approved organization. You can read the rules here about how it all works (pro-rating, minimum and maximum gifts, etc.). You can search to see if your favorite nonprofit is eligible for the match by clicking here and searching or browsing.

The Day of Giving is a beautiful day in Pittsburgh, regardless of what the sky may be doing on that particular day. It’s a day of frenzied generosity.

If you don’t have a favorite nonprofit, allow me to use my superpower: The Power of Suggestion [swishes cape and runs off in dramatic fashion].

The links take you to the Day of Giving profile page for that organization. In alphabetical order:

1. Allegheny County Court Appointed Special Advocate Program (CASA):  Helping the abused and neglected children of Allegheny County who have no one to advocate for their best interests as they navigate the foster care system. I wrote about them here and here.

2. Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh Foundation: SICK KIDS. Reminder, this is a separate 990 than UPMC’s. This money goes to the hospital’s nonprofit arm which funds the Free Care Fund, etc.

3. Community and Human Services: Helping the needy individuals and families of Pittsburgh via homeless assistance programs, mental health residential programs, family assistance programs and more. I wrote about them here.

4. Genre’s Kids with Cancer Fund: Helping families of children diagnosed with cancer at Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh. Disclosure: I sit on this board of directors and I write about the organization all the time.

5. Haitian Orphan Rescue: Jamie and Ali’s nonprofit helping Haitian families in the continuing aftermath of the earthquake. Disclosure: I sit on this board of directors and write about these girls all the time.

6. Make A Wish Foundation: Fulfilling the wishes of children with life-threatening illnesses. I wrote about them here.

Those are my babies, but I’m sure you might have one or two that are near and dear to your heart.

Feel free to shout out in the comments section and tell us who you are donating to and why.

Always looking for new nonprofits to support!

1. Mimi
    September 30, 2011 10:01 am

Can’t wait for the Day of Giving! Please don’t forget the many homeless animals that need love, food, and toys–those shelters can use your help.

2. Noelle
    September 30, 2011 10:29 am

I am giving to Animal Friends and the Animal Rescue League. If I had a billion dollars they would get every penny.

3. Tara
    September 30, 2011 10:43 am

I will be giving to the Women & Girls Foundation!

4. Baba Wawa
    September 30, 2011 11:07 am

Carnegie Library!!!!!

5. Ex-Pat Pittsburgh Girl
    September 30, 2011 11:11 am

I’ll be giving to my alma mater (North Catholic High School) and the Little Sisters of the Poor. When I was in grade school we used to go and hang out with the senior citizens and perform for them. We also used to climb the wall and go sled riding down their back hill during the winter.

6. NicoleinTallahassee
    September 30, 2011 11:15 am

I will be giving to my former employer, Neighborhood Legal Services Association, which is a non-profit public interest law firm that represents low-income individuals in Allegheny, Beaver, Butler, and Lawrence counties to obtain basic civil remedies, needs, and rights. http://www.nlsa.us

7. JenEngland
    September 30, 2011 11:24 am

I will be giving to Best Buddies (not sick kids, but kids and adults with intellectual disabilities), Grow Pittsburgh (farms in the city, of course I love it!) Food Bank, more hungry kids these days than in a long long time, and runners up Mon Valley Unemployed Committee, Planned Parenthood, Community Human Services! Love the day of giving! Thanks everyone for participating.

8. NicoleinTallahassee
    September 30, 2011 11:41 am

Mon Valley Unemployed Committee is another good one – I did some presentations for them; they do great things!

9. Beth
    September 30, 2011 11:54 am

I always give to Family House because so many people come from outside of Pittsburgh to have treatments and surgery, and it provides their family an inexpensive, home-like place to stay.

10. Steverino
    September 30, 2011 12:15 pm

I’m giving to WQED because they have the best quality of programs. Lots and lots of local shows like Rick Sebak and those shows every night at 7:30. Commerical TV has gone to the dogs.

11. TripleC
    September 30, 2011 12:37 pm

Very cool. Was planning on giving to one of the verteran causes anyways and the timing couldn’t have worked out better.

12. mmp430
    September 30, 2011 2:35 pm

Greater Pittsburgh Literacy Council because adults with poor reading or English language skills or without a diploma really don’t stand a chance in today’s world. What job today doesn’t require reading, math or some form of communication. And if we really want to improve the education of our kids, we need to work with the parents so they can set a good example and help their kids in school.

13. Cathy
    September 30, 2011 2:38 pm

I give to the Pittsburgh Glass Center…basically because I can’t participate now but want it to be there offering classes and growth for others when I can. I also give to North Hills Community Outreach. They do a lot of good for the communities in the North Hills. I am going to research a 3rd…becuase I can! Love this day and watching the generosity it inspires!

14. Ang
    September 30, 2011 2:57 pm

Propel Schools! Providing and maintaining quality education for the children in Pittsburgh (and worldwide) is top, top, top priority!

15. Old North Sider
    September 30, 2011 3:41 pm

I am giving to Neighborhood Legal Services Association (www.nlsa.us) who advocates for those who have nowhere else to turn when faced with civil legal crises. Great lawyers who help families keep roofs over their ends, ensures that domestic violence victims are safe and removes legal barriers to employment. A very important charity that struggles from little awareness.

16. Old Cynic
    September 30, 2011 10:28 pm

What does it say about UPMC’s “nonprofit” status that they have, as you put it in item #2, a “nonprofit arm”?

17. Tam
    October 1, 2011 1:16 pm

Norwin Public Library, Laurel Ballet & Stage Right

18. Michelle
    October 2, 2011 12:31 pm

Ronald McDonald House Charities! Sick kids are proven to have better odds of faster recovery when they have their parents and families close by during treatment.