Random n’at.

1. When I was a kid, my mother would wake me up for school and the second my butt was out of bed (after several angry words from her about missing the bus), she would make the bed, thus preventing me from crawling back into bed and catching ten more minutes of sleep. She was evil like that.

Now, as a mom, I do the same thing to my son and I realize my mother isn’t evil. She’s an EVIL GENIUS.

It’s the circle of life. Mwah-haha!

2. If you need ANOTHER reason to love Mister Rogers like he’s your dad, check out this 1990 letter exchange between him and a young viewer and the viewer’s father.

Also be sure to watch this video of Fred Rogers testifying to the Senate in 1969 in support of public broadcasting.

(h/t Charles and Karen)

3.  Speaking of Mister Rogers, LOVE this necklace:

It’s true, because it’s true.

4. If you’re a fan of stand-up comedy (and, heck, I AM. SILENCE! I keeeeel you.), you’ll want to check out The Pittsburgh Comedy website, which gives you info about local open mic nights, shows with local comedians, improv shows, links to various comedians’ websites, information on comedians who are coming to town, etc.

Check it out, Wendy Bell!

5. Roberto Clemente the MUSICAL will be staged next month in New York City.

THE MUSICAL.

(h/t Al)

6. I’ve been dying to see a picture of The Milk Truck, the mobile breastfeeding station designed to rescue Pittsburgh mothers with no comfortable place to feed their babies.

Here it is!

Man, this would have come in handy that time at my grandmother’s funeral where I was wedged with my baby in an awkward position in a tiny church bathroom stall because I wore a dress with no easy access to the boobage, meaning I couldn’t just throw a blanket over the baby and really, eating under a blanket doesn’t sound very fun.

Breastfeeding is hard if you’re not a granola person willing to whip it out anywhere.

I’m not a granola person. I’m a Cap’n Crunch Berries person.

(h/t Dan)

7. Flash mobs are kind of old news, but that doesn’t stop this one at Disney from being RIDICULOUSLY AWESOME. And he’s wearing a Buccos cap to boot.

YouTube Preview Image

The dancing is phenomenal.

(h/t Heather)

8. Can’t remember if I shared these Burgh shirts with you.

I also can’t remember where I put my Werther’s.

9. My Pittsburgh Magazine tattoo post is up and you must go check out the gallery of awesome Burgh tattoos like this one:

Is that not stunning?!

10. Finally, if you haven’t heard THE Geno Malkin is on Twitter now.

Here’s how Mike, The Knitting Lady’s husband, envisions it:

LOL ))))))))))))))).

1. Rich D
    October 3, 2011 4:21 pm

You’re Pittsburgh Tattoo gallery link goes to the Mr. Rogers Senate clip on You-tube.

2. DaleyT
    October 3, 2011 4:44 pm

#7: Not Disney World. That’s Downtown Disney at Disneyland in California

3. Butcher's Dog
    October 3, 2011 4:48 pm

Geno the stand-up comedian. Who knew?

4. JenEngland
    October 3, 2011 4:52 pm

I love Mr. Rogers. Love love love love love.

5. Monty
    October 3, 2011 5:16 pm

Yeah, nothing says funeral like a top titted polka dotted milk mobile.

Maybe they could also bring an inflateable toilet shaped bounce house for the older grieving gentlemen with enlarged prostates.

6. Virginia
    October 3, 2011 6:02 pm

Thanks, Rich and Daley.

All fixed.

October 3, 2011 6:39 pm

“top-titted”

Heh, thanks, Monty, I missed that the first time around. Or if I saw it I must have figured it was just left over from the truck’s days as a Sno-Cone (with a cherry on top) truck.

8. Tara
    October 3, 2011 7:33 pm

Just scrolled through Geno’s twitter. I just love that: he has an adorable cat, went to see the Foo Fighters, likes Umi, AND he just learned that a tomato is a fruit. Love.

9. SusanV
    October 3, 2011 8:44 pm

Yay for the Milk Truck!!!

10. ErinPatricia
    October 3, 2011 9:36 pm

that is the best GIF I have ever seen.

Ever.

11. MessyDee
    October 3, 2011 9:57 pm

As a breastfeeding, non-crunchy, first time mom I really appreciate the Milk Truck. Especially considering I’ve received a few sideways glances and unfriendly stares while nursing in a waiting room at Children’s Hospital.

PS I drove behind the Milk Truck 2 weeks ago and it’s so much better in person. The boob is fantastic!

12. Angela
    October 4, 2011 12:38 am

I LOVE THAT PROPOSAL!!! I cried a bit. And by bit I mean I sobbed. What’s sad, though, is that Pirates hats are everywhere in California as a fad, not by fans =(

13. Kristie
    October 4, 2011 10:02 am

RIP Mr. Rogers. Those letters were awesome!

14. LeeInIrwin
    October 4, 2011 10:22 am

That necklace would be cool but his name is MISTER ROGERS. I’m sure there are space issues on a pendant, but if you are going to honor him, do it properly.

October 4, 2011 11:08 am

Your mother didn’t make YOU make the bed?

And now YOU don’t make YOUR son make his OWN bed?

What chance will HIS children have to grow up into productive adults?

*slowly shakes head, weeps for America*

16. spoon
    October 4, 2011 11:19 am

@bucdaddy I lock my kids in the closet and toss them bread twice a day. Seems to work but they fear that big fireball in the sky.

17. Ex-Pat Pittsburgh Girl
    October 4, 2011 11:24 am

While we’re talking about Mister Rogers, in addition to it being the Day of Giving in Allegheny County, it’s also the Day of Giving in Westmoreland County (www.westmorelandgives.org) and you have an opportunity to help the Fred Rogers Center.

18. Jonathan
    October 4, 2011 11:43 am

I just translated one of Geno’s tweets on Google Translate and this is what it said

“I read the opposite word toilet, now I am afraid to sit on it”

Honest!

19. Unapologetically Mundane
    October 4, 2011 12:31 pm

Cassie sent me here. She said she met Bluzdude here. And that I will like you. The fact that I don’t see a comment by her above on this most comment-worthy post makes me think she was lying to me just to get me to comment on a blog that isn’t about Ohio.

In other news, I like that Mister Rogers spells out his name. “Mr. Rogers” is so not who he was. Maybe Mister was his real first name, Fred his middle name.

Also, if my next car (if I ever indeed do own a car again) doesn’t come with a big, ol’ boob on top of it, something ain’t right in the world.

20. Beatrice
    October 4, 2011 12:44 pm

Wow, the testimony from Mister Rogers is amazing.

21. Amber
    October 4, 2011 12:52 pm

I love Mister Rogers so much. Some days when I’m feeling down, I still remind myself that he loves me just the way I am. :)

22. Pensgirl
    October 4, 2011 12:56 pm

I looked at Geno’s Twitter page last week and think it’s interesting that he goes all mashup (like above) and tweets Russian words but uses the Latin alphabet. He seemed to do that as much as he used the regular Russian/Cyrillic alphabet. Wonder if that’s purely functional (e.g., it’s a pain to go into settings and change the alphabet on his phone, or if he has one device for each language and it depends on which one he’s using, that sort of thing).

23. Tara McElfresh
    October 4, 2011 1:37 pm

YAY!! Thanks for The Milk Truck shout out!!

It’s so fun driving this thing around town and watching others watching us.

24. Cassie
    October 5, 2011 12:30 pm

OMG, Katie Ett. You’re hilarious.

I am not a crunch granola lady either, but after having breastfed three babies, I’d have KILLED for that truck. Mostly because the looks are SO ANNOYING. It’s a boob! Get over yourselves.

25. bluzdude
    October 5, 2011 1:41 pm

I wonder if the giant boob jiggles when the trunk hits a bump…

Also, we were forced to make our own beds. I argued that making a bed, just to get in it again that night and mess it up, was a pointless as a bird deconstructing its nest in the morning.

Mom was not, alas, swayed by my arguments. But she was irritated so she witheld Pop Tarts for the rest of my childhood.

26. bluzdude
    October 5, 2011 1:42 pm

Oops… I meant when the “truck” hits a bump. I KNOW what happens when one’s “trunk” hits a bump…