The Mexicans. They are MUY FUNNY and awesome.

Yesterday. In Wal-Mart. My husband and children and I are on a shopping excursion and are just entering the store.

Husband: “Do they sell baper ruv here.”

Me: “WHAT?!”

Him: Baper ruv.

Me: Baper ruv?

Him: [enunciating very clearly and deliberately] Ba-per ruv!

Me: Maper rub?

Him: [making the wax on/wax off gesture] BAPER RUV!

Me: PAPER RUB?!

Him: [rubs his chest in circular motion] BAPER RUV!!!!

Me: Do you mean “VAPOR RUB?”

Him: That’s what I said! BAPER RUV!

Me and my son: [fall over each other laughing]

You’d think after 11 years living in America, he’d have figured out that V and B thing by now.

Gotta love the Mexicans. Especially when they do amazing stuff like this video shows. This is in Spanish, but essentially, this super Steelers fan in Mexico City took down a street sign on a short little street in his town, and climbed up and put in a new name. Wait until you see what he changed the name of his street to without asking anyone if he could.

YouTube Preview Image

I wonder, can we do this in America? Because I’m thinking “Daniel Sepulveda Way” would be a nice address to have.

It’s a great video and I’d like to go find all of those Steelers fans in Mexico and give them a hug and then ask them to say “focus” and “Vapor Rub” for me.

Somewhere, my husband just swore at me in Spanish. Worth it.

1. Gina
    October 17, 2011 1:09 pm

I have no idea what he is saying, but I’m sure I agree with him.

2. Eva
    October 17, 2011 1:18 pm

Great story. I want to go to their tailgate, whatever was on the grill looked good.

3. Magnus Patris
    October 17, 2011 1:24 pm

Dick LeBeau.. before LeBeau dicks you.

4. AngryMongo
    October 17, 2011 1:49 pm

I don’t even want to know where’d you plan on putting the sign for Daniel Sepulveda Way.

October 17, 2011 2:42 pm

I dunno that they’re funnier than the Italians. Long time ago I knew a guy named Johnny whose last name ended in O. He ran a pizza shop in the little western Pa. town where I had my first real job. I ate there a lot. When Johnny was pissed, he’d say, “I KEEL you, you muddyf*ck.” And it was all I could do to keep from laughing, which probably wouldn’t have been the smartest thing since I occasionally saw him at a corner table talking sotto voce in Italian with a couple much slicker-looking goombahs. Oh, and that eventually Johnny got deported because he refused to rat out the guys who were supplying the drugs he was dealing.

6. Jann
    October 17, 2011 3:04 pm

This video is so charming – even though I understood almost nothing!

7. bluzdude
    October 17, 2011 4:37 pm

Admit it… you knew what your husband was saying right off the bat… you just wanted to toy with him a bit.

8. Firecracker
    October 18, 2011 12:38 pm

!! When I was first dating my south american husband, he got a cold and asked me if I had any “bee bop or roob.” Then the conversation went just like yours, until finally I realized he was saying “Vick’s Vapor Rub.” He’s also removed the word “focus” from his vocabulary and won’t humor me by saying it :(

9. Virginia
    October 18, 2011 1:39 pm

Firecracker, that is even closer to how my husband was saying it: “VEE BOP OR ROOV.” Hah.