How do you pronounce gyros?

A fight between two Dormont-area neighbors ended when police said one of the men attacked the other with a shovel.

Police said the two men live along Pioneer Avenue and were drinking when they got into an argument.

The suspect, Rob Coates, told Channel 11 News that the other man grabbed a knife to try to get him to leave, so Coates said he grabbed a shovel to defend himself.

The neighbor told police Coates hit him with the shovel.

“I said, ‘Let’s just make some gyros and be cool,’” said Coates.

Make a note, Internet.

“Let’s just make some gyros and be cool” is the new “Can’t we all just get along.”

P.S. No, seriously. How do you pronounce gyro? I say JIE-ROH. Is that wrong? Shut up.

1. facie
    October 18, 2011 9:27 am

Not wrong at all in the Burgh.

When I went to PSU, my roommate from Jersey had no idea what I was saying half the time. To be fair, it took me weeks to figure out why she kept saying she was going to wait on line (this was before Al Gore discovered the internet, mind you).

Gotta go ahrn some clothes!

2. T
    October 18, 2011 9:58 am

I say JIE-RO as well… but many of my friends say “YIR-RO.”

3. Sean
    October 18, 2011 10:00 am

Back in the distant past of my youth, I remember Giant Eagle had a Gyro kit you could buy with all the meat and pitas and gyro sauce. On the packaging, the manufacturer provided a pronunciation–“Yee Ro”–that was supposedly the appropriate way in Greek to say gyro.

Trouble is, you never know when ordering a gyro if your server will expect the American or Greek pronunciation and then correct you if you dare use the wrong one. So I’ve found it best to just point to the menu and say, “I’ll have that.”

4. Larry
    October 18, 2011 10:07 am

LOL! After reading the title of your post, as I was starting into the body of it, I was thinking “WT…??? They went at each other with knife and shovel… just over the correct way to pronounce “gyro”?!?!?!?!?

ROTFL…

I say “Hee-rrrrrro” (trilled “r”, dontcha know — and don’t get me started, ’cause ‘burghers of Slavic descent *kill* every word that has an “r” in it: “It’s not ‘stada bubba’, it’s ‘starrrrra bubba’!!! c’mon!!!!”)

5. bluzdude
    October 18, 2011 10:08 am

In honor of the Footloose remake, I’m Holding Out for a Yir-ro.

6. Leigh
    October 18, 2011 10:16 am

I don’t understand why the same people who say YEE-Ro….don’t call a gyroscope a YEEROscope???

October 18, 2011 10:27 am

Ask your husband.

*awaits hilarity*

8. DisplacedFromPitt
    October 18, 2011 10:31 am

Hee-rows

9. Butcher's Dog
    October 18, 2011 10:50 am

@Leigh #7 has it right. Has to be JIE-ro. YEE-ro sounds like something you’d say when the roller coaster went over the top of the first hill.

10. windy city steel city
    October 18, 2011 11:07 am

as a Burgher who lived in chicago [supposedly the birthplace of the spinning meat] I pronounce it “yeer-ro”

11. Jaime
    October 18, 2011 11:09 am

Jie ro here too.
    @bluz dude ROTFLMAO

12. Goob
    October 18, 2011 11:15 am

I say YEE-roh, but people often tell me that’s wrong.

I sometimes say DO-ner, but then people hit me with a shovel.

I also sometimes say sha-WAR-ma, but then people hit me with a BACK-hoe.

13. Patty
    October 18, 2011 11:45 am

When you live in Pittsburgh, “jie-roh” seems to be correct. However, when you move to Chicago and ask for a “jie-roh”, this request will NOT be understood, and you will be corrected with great hilarity and informed that what you have finally pointed at on the menu is a “yeer-ro”

14. Monty
    October 18, 2011 11:50 am

Not sure of the correct pronounciation, but literally translated from Greek it means “In one hour, I’m going to be doing the Charlie Chaplin-walk to the loo.”

15. dand
    October 18, 2011 12:15 pm

If you’re being pedantic, the final “s” is also part of the name even if it’s not plural. By “jie-roh” sounds so much better.

16. spoon
    October 18, 2011 12:18 pm

You’re asking a community that pronounces the town Coraopolis as CORIopolis about how to say something.

Easy solution is go to the motherland of Dormont and as Knossos. They advertise the best gyros in the burgh and handwritten signs don’t lie.

17. spoon
    October 18, 2011 12:19 pm

What I love is when people find out how to pronounce the Vietnamese dish “Pho” and then find out about Pho Kim

18. Unapologetically Mundane
    October 18, 2011 12:30 pm

Who’s MAKING gyros? You go to a restaurant, and you buy a gyro, and you fit the meat into the shovel-shaped indent you made in the guy, and you eat the meat off of him. And you pronounce it YEE-ro while you’re doing it.

19. Al Lambrini
    October 18, 2011 12:38 pm

its zhee-ros
    @Spoon Pho Kim 88 is great, check out Pho Van on Penn also worth a visit

20. red pen mama
    October 18, 2011 1:01 pm

@spoon: Wait a minute. How *do* you say “pho”?

As a vegetarian, I don’t pronounce gyro at all. My husband pronounces it yeer-ro. which, I’m sorry, but I always found slightly pretentious. (Love you, honey!) I say however you pronounce it, if you get what you want when you order, it’s right.

21. djh
    October 18, 2011 1:07 pm

I just call gyro meat “Lamb Spam” and call it a day.

22. Michelle Smiles
    October 18, 2011 1:28 pm

I’m always very sad when I go to Zorba’s and realize that we Burghers have beat down the poor cute greek girl who works there and she now says giy-ro. Sigh. I say it correctly – yir-ro. But I have learned not to cringe when I hear giy-ro. Just like I don’t bat an eye anymore when I hear people pronounce Versailles.

23. Virginia
    October 18, 2011 1:35 pm

Okay, now those of you saying it is pronounced with a Y sound, is it YIE-RO or YEER-O or YEE-RO?

24. Uncle Crappy
    October 18, 2011 1:53 pm

The owner of Souvlaki’s Mediterranean Garden in Athens, Ohio, used to yell at anyone who pronounced it any way other than YEE-ro. It took just one 3 a.m. lecture from him to convince me that I’ll never pronounce it differently.

25. Al Lambrini
    October 18, 2011 2:01 pm

Yee-ROS

26. Michelle Smiles
    October 18, 2011 2:10 pm

Hey Uncle Crappy – another OU alum here. Definitely couldn’t enjoy a 2am gyro w/o learning the correct pronunciation!

27. Butcher's Dog
    October 18, 2011 2:14 pm

@Patty #16: and Chicago became the center of correctness…when, exactly? Your team ain’t played in the World Series in a zillion years because of some crap about a billy goat in a bar, you got nothin’ to say to the rest of us, I’m thinking.

28. spoon
    October 18, 2011 2:42 pm

@rpm its f-uh or f-uuuhhhhh but not f-oh

@Al Lambrini I wasn’t too crazy about Pho Van but that was more because the service sucked both times and the pho was lukewarm. Mekong in Dormont was awful but my go to is my first love and that’s Vietnam’s Pho in the strip.

29. bluzdude
    October 18, 2011 3:51 pm

@Butcher’s Dog: I want to know when Chicago became the capital of spinning meat. Sounds like quite a trick. I bet Ginny would like to see Daniel Sepulveda try it.

30. Leslie in Dayton
    October 18, 2011 4:14 pm

I agree with bucdaddy – ask your husband and let us know. Ask him to say “vapor rub” again while you’re at it!

31. Uncle Crappy
    October 18, 2011 4:22 pm

@Michelle Smiles: Glad to have someone back me up on this. Is he still alive? Any idea?

32. Sam's Dog
    October 18, 2011 4:54 pm

Pronounce it however you like, and if anyone objects, just say Pho Que! ( Sorry, spoon, saw Pho Kim and couldn’t resist.) Yes, I’m 12 too.

33. rickh
    October 18, 2011 4:57 pm

@ V # 26 – YEER-ohs, with tzatziki on the side.

34. Michelle Smiles
    October 18, 2011 6:18 pm

@Uncle Crappy – last I heard, he was still there. I graduated more years ago than I care to admit. I’ve visited a few times but always get distracted by the burrito buggy at 2am. (Because nothing tastes worse than waking up with Souvlaki breath in the morning. Ugh.) But I hear about things going on in town and no one has mentioned him being gone.

35. Lisa
    October 18, 2011 9:45 pm

I worked in Florida with a girl of Greek descent-who also spoke Greek and she (and the all the community stores) pronounced it yearo.

I usually say I want a Jyro/yearo please. Whatever. :)

36. anonymous
    January 13, 2012 12:31 pm

I like to say yee-ro but since I moved to Connecticut have not found a single restaurant employee who knows what I’m taking about. They correct me and say jie-ro and look at me as if I’m stupid. So now I do what that other poster recommended, which is to point to the menu and ask for it. At some Italian markets by the way, even the Italian employees do not know their own language, and will pronounce caprese “kapreese” and bruschetta “broosheta”.

37. Someone from Greece
    February 8, 2012 9:23 am

Gyros is a greek food and it’s pronounced Gi-ros, “g” like good, go etc and “i” like fit, sit, etc