Random n’at

1. Oh! And, and, AND! I forgot to tell you this. Last night I had Scarehouse nightmares and at one point I was walking through the Scarehouse alone and there was suddenly this horrible loud noise and I woke up PUNCHING THE AIR.

My husband looked at me like I had lost my mind. I asked him to say Vapor Rub for me.

I may never sleep again.

2. You’ve probably seen this already, but for those of you who haven’t, the new Head n’ Shoulders commercial featuring not only Troysus, but Brett and Hines as well!

YouTube Preview Image

I want my hair to wave around like that.

And here’s Hines teaching Troysus and Brett how to dance, because WE WILL NEVER BE FREE FROM DANCING WITH THE STARS.

YouTube Preview Image

3. Someone on twitter (@secretninjamom) tweeted to Scott Harbaugh that she was pretty sure it was snowing in Oakland, to which he said at 44 degrees, that’s not likely. She then said that it was clear and had a shape and if that’s not snow, what is it.

Guess what? IT HAS A NAME:

Are you kidding me? It’s not enough that we have snow, sleet, hail, and freezing fog, which I’m still pretty sure is a totally made up thing, but now we have a totally real thing that sounds like a made up thing. GRAUPEL. It sounds like the cousin of the R.O.U.S. The Graupel. EEK!

All I know is that it is October 20. The precipitation should not even be SLIGHTLY frozen.

4. Target Office Products is donating a pencil and sketchbook to The Education Partnership, the storehouse where teachers can shop for free, for every single person that likes the Education Partnership page on Facebook. One easy click to help Pittsburgh’s teachers and students out!

5. Chevrolet is on the road and the road starts in Bridgeville. Very cool.

6. William Dietrich is a retired steel executive who died recently and just prior to his death and now following his death at 73 on October 3, he is unloading a massive amount of wealth onto Pittsburgh’s charities:

• Pitt: $125 million
  • CMU: $265 million
  • Pittsburgh Foundation: $18.1 million
  • Duquesne University: $12.5 million
  • Chatham University: $5 million
  • Cultural Trust: $5 million
  • Carnegie Museums: $5 million
  • Boy Scouts: $5 million

All told? $440.6 million donated so far.

I can’t even. Wow.

7. Yesterday I told you that you probably shouldn’t tell the local news crew that you left your son in a Taco Bell parking lot and told him to go find a new family. Today, I’d like to tell you that you probably shouldn’t tell a news crew that you couldn’t have committed the crime you are being arrested for because you were “back at the crib, chillin’, smoking some weed.” What the hell is wrong with people?

Also, Ari Hait. Still a peanut. Love that guy.

8. Actual news headlines about the animal carnage in Ohio:

• “Zanesville 911 calls: “Just heard a lion roar in the woods”
  • “It’s like Noah’s Ark wrecking right here in Ohio”
  • “Lone monkey with Hepatitis on the loose”
  • “Zanesville animal escape: Which one is most terrifying?”
  • “Ohio town under siege as animals take control” (not making that up)
  • “Buckeye State is longtime leader in breakaway beasts”
  • “Too much monkey business”
  • “The ultimate *#&$ you?” (God bless Australia)
  • “Stay out of the woods in Eastern Ohio”
  • “Hide yo kids!!”
  • “Lions, Tigers, and Bears, OHIO!” (srsly)
  • “Things are getting biblical in Ohio”

Jumanji indeed.

9. I’m already nervous about the Patriots and we don’t even play them for another week. I’m lathering up all my hate and I plan to unleash it with epicness on my Tom Brady voodoo doll. BALLS ON A STICK, PEOPLE.

1. Burgh Bird
    October 20, 2011 1:48 pm

Graupel??? I always just call it “those frozen snow pellet thingys”….seriously, I think I’ll stick with that. Graupel sounds like the noise a Zombie makes.

2. Cassie
    October 20, 2011 1:55 pm

ROUS’s are mean mama-jammas.

Just ask Westley.

3. TripleC
    October 20, 2011 2:07 pm

And to think the good old ‘Occupy’ folks stinking up cities around the country would consider Mr Dietrich to be one of those evil 1%’ers.

4. Ginny's Dad
    October 20, 2011 2:57 pm

Nice video about Bridgeville – my hometown and still a nice place to live.

5. Butcher's Dog
    October 20, 2011 3:11 pm

The 18.1 very large left to the Pittsburgh Foundation included $5 million designated for Greenville (where a certain dog resides) and $2.5 million for Conneaut Lake. Take that, Fayettenam!

Also, not to get too political, but the restrictions on wild game preserves in Ohio are far laxer than those here in PA. Think that over the next time you hear about “job-killing regulations”. Just sayin’.

6. alex
    October 20, 2011 3:58 pm

@ TripleC – I don’t think “‘Occupy’ folks” (of which I am one, when I get off of work – and btw I don’t stink – nor do the other nurses, retired steelworkers, working professionals, and families that join me)find this gentleman, or most of the 1% evil – its policies that warp the taxes that those 1% pay, or don’t pay, that is the problem.

Because let’s face it, had Mr. Dietrich paid more taxes on his millions, it would not likely have changed the quantity or quality of his unbelievable generosity. The evil is not money, people, and this gentleman is a wonderful example of that reality.

7. Burgh Bird
    October 20, 2011 4:33 pm

As a nonprofit fundraising professional, we dream that donors like Mr. Dietrich will inspire more people to give. Perhaps the news of his gifts will spur further discussions about philanthropy in Pittsburgh.

Also, I forgot my other favorite weather term: verga- precipitation that falls from the clouds, but evaporates before reaching the ground. I’m a weather geek….I can’t help it.

8. Burgh Bird
    October 20, 2011 4:39 pm

Ooops….that should be virga….verga is something else completely!!!!!

9. TripleC
    October 20, 2011 4:47 pm

@ Alex – so is it safe to assume that you were not part of the group that put on a little show in market square today during the farmer’s market? I’m sure the vendors appreciated it since people seemed to stay away from market square because of the perceived chaos that was being created.

10. oldgraymare
    October 20, 2011 5:21 pm

Oh I do hope they do this dance on Sunday after scoring a touchdown! :) LOL

11. Clementine
    October 20, 2011 6:20 pm

It was totally graupeling in Forest Hills today. True dat.

12. Beth
    October 20, 2011 8:58 pm

I love me some Brett Kiesel, but white boy got no rhythm.

13. bluzdude
    October 20, 2011 9:02 pm

I’m pretty sure he just made up “graupel.” He’s probably laughing about it right now.

14. Sam's Dog
    October 20, 2011 10:12 pm

@ Butcher’s Dog, Here’s where you miss the whole point-these lax regulations worked perfectly to help keep people employed. Since those law enforcement officers had to use all that ammo putting the animals down, the fine folks at Remington or Winchester will have to make more! See, capitalism at it’s finest. On a side note, I’d bet a shitload (still larger than a metric ton) that all of the protests about the necessity of dispatching said animals came from the safety of a far away location instead of the woods outside of Zanesville……

October 21, 2011 12:31 am

So how is Hines’s DUI case coming?

Let’s not forget.

16. burghgal
    October 21, 2011 9:12 am

Generous of Mr. Dietrich.. shame he had to can so many employees..

17. Scott
    October 21, 2011 10:12 am

Re: #7, why is the perp who was “back at the crib, chillin’…smokin’ some weed” wearing a hazmat suit?

18. HappyBurghTroll
    October 21, 2011 11:52 am

OMG! They killed Aslan! Run Peter Run!

19. LaReina
    October 21, 2011 3:07 pm

I just hope graupel is nothing like shrapnel. Duck!!

20. WIMom
    October 21, 2011 4:02 pm

I think I will have to watch those two Troy commercials at least once a day- they made me laugh so much!