Random n’at

1. I’m sitting here watching WQED’s Pittsburgh From the Air (Thursday at 8! Never forget! PHG!) and I had a thought as we were flying over Kennywood.

Don’t you think Kennywood should have cameras that automatically snap pictures as people hit the double dip in the Jack Rabbit? The resulting photos of the contorted faces of terrified kiddies being popped out of their seats would win the Internet.

2. As we expected, the NHL Draft will be held in Pittsburgh next year. Expect an influx of puck bunnies unseen since ever.

I object to this headline:

Did you rejoice? Did you praise Bettman on high and fall down and weep into your hands? Did you run around your office high-fiving all of your co-workers? Did you shred paper and throw confetti at your mailman?

Or did you just go, “Oh. Cool!”

I thought so.

3. Another local paranormal investigation. Another dead end. Fuzzy pictures. Maybe some noises. Nothing too odd. Nothing conclusive.

Just once I’d like to have a paranormal team be filming and all of the sudden a very clear ghost appears out of thin air and then shouts directly into the camera, “BOO, MOTHEREFFERS!”

I would pee.

4. This year I’m co-chairing the Community Human Services Holiday Gift Card drive which aims to provide a gift card to 550 individuals living in CHS assisted housing programs. Everyone who celebrates Christmas should have a gift this year and CHS is making sure that those who would otherwise have none, receive a gift that allows them to buy what they need for themselves, with dignity.

There is a kickoff event happening in December that I’ll of course be attending and telling you more about, but first there’s a smaller event on November 3 at Hough’s. Entry is only costing you a gift card or a cash donation to enjoy auction items and fun. Details are here! My goal is to swing into this event immediately prior to the Steelers event that night. I CAN DO IT.

5. At first I thought this was a tattoo on this pregnant Steelers fan’s belly and I was like, man, that is going to look like Rainbow Brite on meth when it deflates, but it’s just body paint and I have no words anymore.

(h/t Matt)

6. Do you have a pressing question you’d like to ask Brett Keisel? Beard grooming tips? What to do when you lose a bagel in your beard? Or maybe you have football questions? He’s holding an online town hall for an hour on November 3 starting at 5:30 p.m. on Concert-Oh, which is a locally based internet company. You just need to go snag a free account and add bkeisel99 as a friend to take part!

It is also mentioned on Brett’s official page, just scroll down!

7. I forgot to include this picture in What They’re Really Thinking! There was a slutty referee at the Arizona game:

I’ll allow it.

8. Finally, Random.org chose comment #51 to win the tickets to the CASA event with Mike Wallace. The winner has been emailed. If that’s not you, you can buy tickets here!

Just don’t come dressed as a slutty referee or I’ll pretend I don’t know you.

1. johnaz6312
    October 27, 2011 11:55 pm

I saw the draft at the Arena in 1997. It was VERY boring. This is good exposure for the city and for 1st timers it will be interesting but I will never attend another draft again.

It was alot of sitting around & waiting. Like I said “BORING”

2. johnaz6312
    October 27, 2011 11:59 pm

Oh,and one more thing.When Garry Bettman appeared to start the draft, the crowd booed him. The reason being that Mario retired the first time prior to that and he said he was doing it because Bettman was not doing anything about the obstruction in hockey. After Bettman heard the boos, his reply was, “ITS NOT THAT BAD”. It was. It was still boring!

3. Leenyburgh
    October 28, 2011 6:19 am

There is indeed a camera at the double dip of the Jack Rabbit. The booth to buy the outrageously expensive pictures is outside the exit over by the lake. I should know… I have proof that both my hands were up while my husband was whimpering in fear beside me :).

4. Margaret
    October 28, 2011 9:21 am

Apparently you have never seen the episode of Ghost Adventurers that visited Hillview Manor near Pittsburgh. They made contact with a spirit that told them he likes hockey and when asked who his favorite hockey team is, the spirit replied, “Pittsburgh”!

5. spoon
    October 28, 2011 10:05 am

draft 1997 is no where near the party the NHL has made it now. For hockey geeks this will be an amazing weekend and I can’t wait!

and I welcome the puck bunnies who will be dressed for summer :)

6. Dandi
    October 28, 2011 10:16 am

I have THE best jack rabbit double dip photo that we purchased from Kennywood. I will email it to you.

7. Nancy
    October 28, 2011 10:51 am

I also have a pretty good jackrabbit pic at home. I’ll scan it & send it to ya. :)

8. JenEngland
    October 28, 2011 11:08 am

Pittsburgh Interfaith Impact Network (PIIN) is having THEIR big event Nov 3 too. So I’ll see you as I dash through early too!

9. Butcher's Dog
    October 28, 2011 2:09 pm

Ginny, you say “puck bunnies” like it’s a bad thing.

10. Down Goes Staalsy
    October 28, 2011 2:24 pm

Wearing a sexy Halloween costume to a football game a week before it’s even Halloween… wtf?!

My husband campaigned very hard for me to be the sexy referee for Halloween and was emphatically vetoed. “Sexy” costumes make my inner feminist cry.

11. Concert-oh
    October 28, 2011 3:09 pm

Join Brett Keisel’s virtual town hall Thursday at 5:30 p.m. Just register at our site: http://www.concert-oh.com. We look forward to sharing this new, Pittsburgh-based technology with you. Register for the site now and email me with questions at help@concert-oh.com

12. Arlette
    October 28, 2011 7:11 pm

I heard that there was some shuffling of the furry con for the NHL draft. . .

13. Sam's Dog
    October 28, 2011 7:47 pm

@ Butcher’s Dog, Now THAT’s church!

14. steelertom
    October 28, 2011 8:51 pm

That sexy ref was @ the Arizona Game in 07 too. Had my pic taken with her. I was in a kilt with a steelers jersey, my black combat boots and a custom steelers Flight deck crainal on. trying hard to look like a steelers wackjob, I failed when I saw the guy in insulated underwear with a black & gold cape. Sigh….

15. johnaz6312
    October 28, 2011 11:19 pm

So the draft is not going to be BORING uh? Do you know in the 1st round there is 20 minutes between each pick. That goes REAL slowly. My guess is that the “new party” atmosphere that the NHL has now will NOT include strippers or any other sort of entertainment between the picks. Bring a good book or drink plenty of IC LITE

October 29, 2011 1:52 am

Televised drafts are proof that people will watch paint dry if it’s black and gold paint, or grass grow if it’s black and (Acapulco?) gold grass.

*yawn*

17. spoon
    October 29, 2011 2:46 am

@bucdaddy you and me with a 6pk. lets make it happen!

18. Butcher's Dog
    October 29, 2011 10:38 am

And yet watching this paint dry is expected to bring in something like $9 mil to the area. I’m bettin’ Michaelangelo didn’t net anywhere near that for people to have Sistine Chapel paint drip on ’em. Just sayin’.