Stitchburghese

I have lost who it was that tweeted at me about this new Etsy shop, so whoever you are, I doff my cap to you, m’lady.

(I hated 2 Broke Girls. Now I love it. Amen, n’at.)

You want to head over to my magazine blog to read about Stitchburghese, an etsy shop selling cross stitch patterns that have a decidedly Pittsburgh feel to them.

Snippet:

A few weeks ago, my son and I were in World of Values picking up Halloween decorations when he spotted an oval-shaped “Jagoff” bumper sticker at the register, readily available for impulse-purchasing.

He said, “What is a jag … off?”

I said, “Ummmmmm. How ’bout them Bucs?!”

He’s definitely got some Pittsburghese in his lexicon, but what’s the appropriate age to teach a child about jagoffs?

Go have a look at the entire gallery of patterns.

And then comment here and tell me if nine is an appropriate age for a kid to say “jagoff.”

I mean, it’s worse than “jerk,” but not as bad as “miserable son of a bitch,” am I right?

November 2, 2011 10:59 am

Does he read your blog?

So you continued to watch a show you hated? Your TV only have one channel?

2. DG
    November 2, 2011 12:14 pm

Explaining the meaning and encouraging the use are two totally different things. Although, after you do the former, the later generally happens when they’re out of your earshot.

3. Butcher's Dog
    November 2, 2011 12:27 pm

Perhaps an abbreviation may be in order. Greeting a group of friends with “What are yinz jags doin’ ‘n ‘at?” would indicate, to me anyway, that they were a bunch of goofoffs. Possibly that their life skills needed refinement. Maybe they’re not very reliable. Like that. Definitely safer than “miserable son of a bitch” for any age, from 9 to 90.

4. SteelCityMagnolia
    November 2, 2011 12:37 pm

Probably not a good idea to bring him to my sister’s house. Bro-in-law absolutely bleeds black’n gold, so their welcome mat proudly proclaims “Welcome Ya Jagoff.”

She said the Jehovah’s Witnesses haven’t been back since they put it out.

5. bluzdude
    November 2, 2011 1:16 pm

I’d just explain that jagoff is a Pixburgh version of a jerk. No need for further review. At 9, he’s liable to be using much worse language than that, when he’s out of earshot, so I’d be thrilled it jagoff was the worst he’s picked up.

6. red pen mama
    November 2, 2011 2:47 pm

What @bluzdude said. I use jagoff in the car when the children are present when I really want to yell “eff-er” or “mother-effer”. Only not, you know, “eff”.

7. Suz
    November 2, 2011 3:19 pm

Hmmm. I was twelve or thirteen when I first used “jagoff” in the presence of my parents. While I can’t recall the name of the jagoff whose jerky-ness called for the use of the word, I’ll never forget the instant side-eye that I got from my mom when she heard what I said.

8. Ya Jagoff
    November 2, 2011 4:13 pm

Probably not a swearword but not sure if appropriate for young-ins! On the other hand, the word “SUCKS” used to be kind of a swear word but now, they say it on the Disney Channel. Jagoff = Jerk..unless you’re yelling it while throwing up the middle finger. then…..all bets are off

November 2, 2011 4:18 pm

“just jaggin'”…..best pixburghese ever.

10. JennyMoon
    November 3, 2011 12:20 pm

Wow my mom told me it was a swear word and I’m still afraid to say it in front of her! PS I’m 40.

11. Cassie
    November 4, 2011 8:49 pm

I used jagoff while in Louisiana. They had the audacity to look at ME like I was the one who spoke funny.

Ha!

12. sjillis
    November 6, 2011 1:50 pm

I thought 9 was a prime jagoff-saying age. Maybe I just went to a rough elementary school. I always rejected the term as too–common? something–but after sixteen years living away from Pittsburgh, I wish I’d used it more often where it would be understood.