Hizzoner Master Lukey for Hittsburgh

I have never heard of Hittsburgh clothing until this weekend.

The description:

Hittsburgh™ – more than a label, more than a brand, more than the legendary city of champions. It’s a state of mind. It’s an attitude, a swagger, a confidence that was born of pride in a hard day’s work, a resilient spirit that knows no other way but to get back up in and face of whatever may try to knock us down. From the bite of winter wind off the rivers, to chains on a factory gate, we survive and we thrive. Hittsburgh™ – is something that you carry in your heart no matter where you live or where you go. It’s a part of who you are and you a part of it. Forever. The city made of steel, the people made of heart… Hittsburgh™

I actually kinda like that.

Here are some of their products featured on their Facebook page as photographed by Sean Davies:

Everything has a 92 on it and James Harrison’s signature, so I guess he has officially endorsed them.

Also, endorsed by Lukey as these images from a Steelers Hittsburgh tailgate show:

We either have the coolest mayor of any major metropolitan city, or the most poorly advised.

Also, no, the irony is not lost on me that the desription of their business is all factory gates and chains and steel and hard work and sweat and tears and blue collar and gritted teeth, but their featured images are all basically, well, stripper wear.

But in their defense, strippers sweat too.

(h/t to the two guys that sent it to me. Lost the emails in the abyss of my inbox)

1. paintmepretty
    November 9, 2011 2:08 pm

I see nothing wrong with Luke supporting a local business. How is this tasteless? He’s wearing a hoodie, not doing keg stands. Geez

Would you say the same thing if you were opening a business and he was willing to support you?

….yea, didn’t think so.

2. pauliemac
    November 9, 2011 2:12 pm

this thread is hilarious

3. Dan (Not Onorato)
    November 9, 2011 2:13 pm

First…WTF is a blues clue?

Second…There are no Steelers logos on the clothing so what team does it support? Besides the wallet of Jimmy Harrison?

Third…just because you dont agree with the comments doesnt necessarily mean that its wrong\

4. Lyza
    November 9, 2011 2:16 pm

Dear JWoww oh, I mean “Pam_Wow”:
    This is in support of a FOOTBALL team, meant to be worn in a relaxed and fun atmosphere. It’s unique. It’s fun. It’s relaxed.

Perhaps you should go back to “fashion school”

November 9, 2011 2:28 pm

There are no Steelers logos because then the gear would have to be run through the approval and licensing arm of the NFL.

6. Carrie
    November 9, 2011 2:31 pm

So when’s the last anyone has PAID any of you to design clothes, take pictures, or model? Just throwin’ that out there.

And Miss Educated Fashion Lawyer, way to be completely narrow minded and judgmental to call an entire city unfashionable, which may I ask, do you live in Pittsburgh yourself?? I would hope not since you are so fashionable.

PS. Good luck painting turds, I wish you well….turd.

November 9, 2011 2:31 pm

And, to be fair, the company DID attempt to balance out the scrawny chicks in the first photo with the two chunky guys in the second “Davies Collection.”

Now, back to the strangest flame war I have ever seen. Maybe a cat fight will break out … mrowwrrr.

8. Jim W.
    November 9, 2011 2:33 pm

alright, everybody just relax. Find a common ground. Can we all just agree that strippers are hot?

9. Jim W.
    November 9, 2011 2:35 pm

well. . . MOST strippers.

10. Jodie
    November 9, 2011 2:36 pm

Wow…..can we say haters!…and/or judgmental ppl who have no clue wht they r talkin abt! Well i had a blast at this Hittsburgh event & a blast wrking with the designer & models…(who aren’t sluts)…so much fun cheering on the steelers & showing off a girl steeler line finally!!..something tht us girls can wear out 4 games tht isn’t a freakin hoodie!….sum gear tht can b worn in a cute way or sexy way…which evr u desire…we finally have options ladies whn it comes to steeler gear! Lol thnk u sew addicted 4 cute , fun, flirty, sexy, Pittsburgh steeler clothes just 4 us girls!! : ) seeeww I can’t wait to rock my Hittsburgh outfit next game day!…& just sayin…stating ur opinion is 1 thing but insulting ppl u never met is a whole other level immaturity…..juust sayin…lol

11. Dan (Not Onorato)
    November 9, 2011 2:38 pm

I know bucdaddy…the only thing it supports is the wallet of Harrison…

12. Pam_Wow
    November 9, 2011 2:41 pm

@Lyza and Carrie,

How does this support the football team? It’s black and gold, sure. It supposed James Harrison, sure. But nowhere does it say “Steelers” or even “Pittsburgh.”

Regardless, I think you missed the point of my comment. I was merely commending the business sense of those individuals involved in Hittsburgh Promotions, LLC. The concept is quite brilliant for their market, which is likely what drew the endorsement of Mr. Harrison.

And to the point of my residency, yes, I live in the City of Pittsburgh, proudly. This PG article highlights the recent GQ article in which Pittsburgh’s penchant for all apparel black-and-gold is questioned (which as I mentioned, is the very market that H.P., LLC seems to be targeting, wisely.) http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11221/1166051-314.stm

13. Kel
    November 9, 2011 2:45 pm

It amazes me that people have lowered themselves to “bash” anything and everything!! Seriously, this line of clothing has been a long time coming. It’s about time someone designed gear for women. As for the “stripper” comments in reference to the clothing and the models, ummm really??? Lets put it this way, if a woman was going to watch a football game with her man, well, I’m sure he would appreciate her wearing a sexy outfit! And the outfits are made in a way that you can wear leggings, jeans, turtle necks, and so on. So they are good for the Aug games and can be changed for the colder games. As far as them not having a logo….well you would have to have a license from the NFL to do that. And if James Harrison wants to have a side business that’s his choice. And if the mayor wants to wear one of the shirts and have his picture taken then so what?? If he was wearing one of the skirts then yeah I could understand bashing him then!!!

14. ali
    November 9, 2011 2:51 pm

@pauliemac – yeah, im snickering at my desk at work. just look at all the new readers that ginnie got today!

I still think this stuff is atrocious – Im a designer (not clothing, but fashion is something i take seriously). I take offense to bad design – I shouldn’t take it personally, i know…

BUT – If I have any real issue with this, its this – do you think this stuff is made here, giving Pittsburghers jobs? I looked at the website and don’t see any information either way, which leads me to believe that no, this stuff is likely made in China or other similar location. Yeah, they gave some skinny girls a photo shoot job for a day. This stuff is just plastered with black and gold and harrison’s number, but beyond that it doesn’t do a damn thing for our city or the people who live here and love our teams. If I’m wrong and there is a North Side printing and/or manufacturing plant I don’t know about, great. Let us know – we’ll be more likely to support Hittsburgh, despite the tackiness.

Think nothing is made in Pittsburgh? Check this stuff out, its much more deserving of our attention:

http://www.moopshop.com/ – bags manufactured start to finish in the west end, and truly the definition of classy (a term a bit abused by the hijackers of this thread!)

Tweek clothing – no longer in existence on Penn Ave but you can find them on facebook and myspace – great Pittsburgh designs, (my favorite is the City of Bridges hoody…) printed here in Pit on LA-made, but not Pit made, American Apparel garments.

http://shopfouronetwo.blogspot.com/ – 412 – a store carrying several brands, not all made here of course, but classy at least, and Burgh represent

15. Di
    November 9, 2011 2:52 pm

@Kel

“Lets put it this way, if a woman was going to watch a football game with her man, well, I’m sure he would appreciate her wearing a sexy outfit!”

Is that supposed to encourage me to wear these clothes? As a woman I find that comment to be extremely insulting. I’m hoping that my man will find me sexy if I choose not to screenprint “hittsburgh” across my va-jay-jay.

16. ali
    November 9, 2011 2:54 pm

Can I ‘like’ D’s comment?!!!

Here is the GQ link, that Pam-Wow mentions – I thought of it right away, too!

#3 baby!

17. Bri
    November 9, 2011 2:58 pm

Classy? That’s the best laugh I’ve had all day! :)

18. Virginia
    November 9, 2011 3:01 pm

Holy crap on a Triscuit:

1. As author of this piece, I would like to point out that it is my opinion that the line for women as they are photographed are not classy, despite claims to the contrary. You would not, ever, ever wear the dresses and skirts as they were photographed to meet the queen, or even to church or work. As they were photographed, they look stripperish. I wouldn’t be true to myself as I have been for the last six years if I didn’t point out the irony of that in light of the “blue collar” business description.

2. To be fair, I didn’t even include the worst picture of them all that can be seen here. http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/376205_269812713062010_173216936054922_773524_949660209_n.jpg

3. I am simply voicing my opinion, as I have done for six years, and my opinion is that the Mayor should not be seen as endorsing any product or service. He was poorly advised here because he comes off looking childish and like a frat boy when his pictures are viewed in the context of the other pictures.

4. As for the mayor supporting local businesses. I guarantee his endorsement didn’t bring nearly the same number of eyeballs to Hittsburgh as this post is bringing to it. Over 150,000 hits a month last time I checked. Free publicity. Also, the mayor is currently a laughing stock of sorts lately, with a reputation of not showing up for anything important. Why would you WANT him to endorse your product?

5. The mayor looks ridiculous here and that was and remains my point.

6. It has been a long long long time since I heard someone bust out “turd” as an insult and that person wasn’t ten-years-old. I kinda love it, you turds.

19. Tim
    November 9, 2011 3:02 pm

It’s sad how far you will go just to bash the mayor. Is it so horrible that a small business that was started in this city, hires a local designer, hires a local web designer, and gives the mayor some sweatshirts and took his picture? Is that a poor decision on the mayor’s part to support a small business in Pittsburgh?

Did you not realize to some degree you bought into their marketing. Make something flashy so people do a double take and them maybe they stay and buy a shirt?

20. Kel
    November 9, 2011 3:06 pm

@Di give me a break!! All women do “grooming” for their men!!! Bet you take a shower, put your make up on, do your hair, and pick out a sexy outfit when you are spending time with your man!!! And I have yet to see any of the outfits with “hittsburgh” across anybody’s va-jay-jay!!!!

When did it become a bad thing to look extra sexy for your partner! There isn’t a damn thing wrong with either the man or the woman in the relationship doing something to look good!!

Oh and my point was, since you seem to be so offended by my comment is this…….As a woman I would much rather wear a sweatshirt, or an outfit made for a woman!!! Yeah I want to look sexy for my man, so what!!!!??? Bet you thought I was a guy!!!!

21. James Foreman
    November 9, 2011 3:08 pm

That girl in the third picture down looks like she’s about to pee.

22. Noelle
    November 9, 2011 3:11 pm

There is not a person on this planet who doesn’t think they have good taste. We all know many of these people are incorrect. It’s pointless to argue with them.

23. @AngrierFish
    November 9, 2011 3:13 pm

I think it’s great that they have boots and furry hats so the girl in the second photo can keep warm!

24. Cynic
    November 9, 2011 3:16 pm

Photoshop / Caption Time!

25. Sienna Miller
    November 9, 2011 3:20 pm

I think they left an “S” off the beginning of the logo.

26. inBrookline
    November 9, 2011 3:21 pm

YOU SEE WHAT HAPPENS WHEN ZEN GETS SHUT DOWN!?!?!?

They all start commenting here.

27. Magnus Patris
    November 9, 2011 3:23 pm

BEST. THREAD. EVER!

28. Dana
    November 9, 2011 3:27 pm

Ginny, awesome post, great defense. Unfortunately, people who write comments using excessive exclamation points and can’t spell out words like “what” and “people” aren’t really going to comprehend anything anyone showing some semblance of intelligence is going to write.

Either way, these comments are golden. Golden triangle golden. Black and gold golden.

Great laugh for the day, which I needed.

29. Monty
    November 9, 2011 3:27 pm

I SLIGHTLY DISAGREE WITH SOME OF THE THINGS PEOPLE HAVE SAID HERE SO I THOUGHT I WOULD MENTION IT!!!!!!!!!

30. BKLYNinPGH
    November 9, 2011 3:53 pm

How is this any different than wearing a pink jersey or a VS bedazzled Steelers T-shirt? Just wear a damn regular jersey and get over it. Last time I checked football wasn’t about who looks sexiest… And if a guy is paying more attention to your jewel encrusted “game day” outfit than to the game, chances are he’s probably gay.

31. Di
    November 9, 2011 4:00 pm

@Kel

Please look at the second picture from the top of this post. I am pretty sure it says “Hittsburgh” directly below her crotch. Althought I suppose that is a bit more creative than stretching it across her ass.

And trust me, I never thought you were a guy.

32. jdstar3177
    November 9, 2011 4:11 pm

As a PR practitioner, I would advise any elected official against openly endorsing any product whether that be his favorite coffee shop or local a clothing line.

The point that Virginia is trying to make here is that this is yet another example of the Mayor looking like an overgrown frat boy rather than the responsible public official we all wish he would be.

Also, this whole comment thread further illustrates why Pittsburgh received the #3 Worst Dressed City ranking by GQ.

33. jenn
    November 9, 2011 4:16 pm

I think this is great and hysterical! First of all, didn’t Alyssa Milano make a line called “Touch” for the NFL for the express purpose of women having a line of clothing to support their teams? Second of all, if you want to wear it, go ahead, wear it, but then people wonder why drunk guys go around ass-grabbing without permission. I’m just saying, this isn’t something I would want anyone I care about to be sporting at a local bar or at the game.

34. Jen
    November 9, 2011 4:21 pm

Quoting my dearly departed Pap here: “I’d buy two of those…one to sh*t on and one to cover it up with” These clothes represent 20-something girls in Pgh. Attention seeking hoes.

35. chick_chris
    November 9, 2011 4:29 pm

I have nothing to say about this that hasn’t already been said, except: while looking at photo that Ginny linked to in the comments, I was completely distracted and amused by the size-stickers still on the bottom of the shoes.

Maybe to keep with the black & gold theme?

36. Butcher's Dog
    November 9, 2011 4:56 pm

I believe we’ve uncovered an entire demographic, previously unknown here, that has waaaaaaayyyyy too much time on their hands and not nearly enough to occupy their minds.

@Jen #84: your pap used one of my favorite lines! We’re probably from the same demographic. You know…old farts! (no disrespect intended)

37. JennyMoon
    November 9, 2011 5:11 pm

#79 hilarious and #80 true!

38. Jae Lee
    November 9, 2011 6:07 pm

Food for thought………….
    what if the first promotional pictures that you saw for Hittsburgh included infant wear? Would you start off with the hating? Or would you think the baby in the onesy looks adorable? Just because the women’s line came out first isn’t a door opener for hate. Keep on hatin haters.. your free publicity will just rise the amount of people that will be aware of it =)

39. lmax
    November 9, 2011 6:12 pm

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Ginny, thanks for the entertainment!

Hittsburgh = not classy AT ALL. The stripper heels don’t help.

40. MissChris
    November 9, 2011 6:17 pm

People!
    This has nothing to do with the clothes and no one is trying to knock local businesses getting free press. The pictures are ridiculous. They are bad and most women are not going to want to buy this stuff. There is obviously a certain demographic they are going for. What average Pittsburgh girl wants to make their ass look wider by wearing a skirt that has Hittsburgh printed across it?
    This is about our mayor looking like a jackass AGAIN! There are more important things he should be dealing with than posing for bad pics in a hoodie. His image is already bad and this just makes it worse.

41. Jessica
    November 9, 2011 6:24 pm

@BKLYNinPGH Hahahaha. Well said and so true.

42. Angelina
    November 9, 2011 6:31 pm

wooah is this what people do all day? bash each other and things that have absolutely nothing to do with you?
    I’m glad I came across this. contrary to some of the opinions I’ve read, I think these outfits are cute. I definitely wear it with something under it, other than that, I see nothing wrong with it.

I give cudos to the designer. Obviously she’s doing bigger and better things than most of the people on this thread. she got your attention, didn’t she?!

43. Jae Lee
    November 9, 2011 6:47 pm

Ok… what girl wants to make her ass look wider wearing a skirt/pants/shorts that has PINK written across it????????? @VictoriaSecret

It’s the same damn thing. If you don’t like it close your eyes. If your jealous you can’t wear it.. start jogging

44. Seriously
    November 9, 2011 6:47 pm

These comments are a hoot. Horrible line of clothing that reinforces the GC article.

The chick with Hittsburgh across her a*% on FB (See Ginny’s link) looks like she is pleasuring someone orally through the chain link fence. I’m just saying. And no, I’m not a guy.

45. MissThang
    November 9, 2011 6:59 pm

Caption to Luke’s photo? I vote, “I’m here for the gang bang.” And ladies, God love you, but please do your arguments a chance by not spelling in pre-pubescent txt msg speak OMG lyk 4 real ::hair flip:: That’s really the grossest

46. MissThang
    November 9, 2011 7:03 pm

Can anybody answer where this stuff is actually made?

47. Bram R
    November 9, 2011 7:08 pm

I’m only down to #39 and I’m really enjoying this thread. brb…

48. hello haha narf
    November 9, 2011 7:13 pm

i had a comment about the clothing line (like the idea of hittsburgh being associated with harrison; not fond of the photos used to promote the clothing; might actually consider a sweatshirt) and the mayor (should promote ALL local businesses and not just one, which actually means he has no business in these ad shots), but then jenn (comment #83) blew my damn mind by insinuating that what a woman wears has anything to do with whether or not someone else can control their actions. i’m seething at the line “if you want to wear it, go ahead, wear it, but then people wonder why drunk guys go around ass-grabbing without permission. I’m just saying, this isn’t something I would want anyone I care about to be sporting at a local bar or at the game.”

how fucking dare you say that a man can’t control a desire to fondle a woman because of her clothing? are you really that small minded?

49. Jae Lee
    November 9, 2011 7:13 pm

the items are made by ONE girl.. that lives in Pittsburgh.

50. Bram R
    November 9, 2011 7:26 pm

You can like the clothing all you want, think it’s fun, be sex-positive … but “classy”? No. No, you cannot get away with that descriptor. Even if the owners and designers are classy people and the models are classy in their private lives and there is lots of rich wood and fine leather in the company offices, that apparel is 180 degrees from classy. Words have meaning, damn it.

AND ALRIGHT, I’LL BE THE ONE TO ASK. @Tim – was there anything *in* the sweatshirts? That would explain so very much.