Hizzoner Master Lukey for Hittsburgh

I have never heard of Hittsburgh clothing until this weekend.

The description:

Hittsburgh™ – more than a label, more than a brand, more than the legendary city of champions. It’s a state of mind. It’s an attitude, a swagger, a confidence that was born of pride in a hard day’s work, a resilient spirit that knows no other way but to get back up in and face of whatever may try to knock us down. From the bite of winter wind off the rivers, to chains on a factory gate, we survive and we thrive. Hittsburgh™ – is something that you carry in your heart no matter where you live or where you go. It’s a part of who you are and you a part of it. Forever. The city made of steel, the people made of heart… Hittsburgh™

I actually kinda like that.

Here are some of their products featured on their Facebook page as photographed by Sean Davies:

Everything has a 92 on it and James Harrison’s signature, so I guess he has officially endorsed them.

Also, endorsed by Lukey as these images from a Steelers Hittsburgh tailgate show:

We either have the coolest mayor of any major metropolitan city, or the most poorly advised.

Also, no, the irony is not lost on me that the desription of their business is all factory gates and chains and steel and hard work and sweat and tears and blue collar and gritted teeth, but their featured images are all basically, well, stripper wear.

But in their defense, strippers sweat too.

(h/t to the two guys that sent it to me. Lost the emails in the abyss of my inbox)

1. Andy T
    November 9, 2011 7:31 pm

I’m told there are envelopes of cash sewn in to those hoodies that can be used to fund the city’s ailing pension funds. That’s why Mayor Lukey had to get some of ’em. I totally got your back Mr. Sycophantenstahl.

2. Sam
    November 9, 2011 7:49 pm

This is the dumbest thing I have ever read. Instead of worrying about what other people are wearing to support their team or a friend worry about doing something useful with your time. Maybe get a job and stop creeping Facebook. It’s weird. Knock it off. If you guys are getting this pissy about some clothes says A LOT about your day to day lives. Get over it move on. I have never doubted the mental stability of adults until now… Way to represent guy. Stay classy Pittsburgh.

3. Seriously?
    November 9, 2011 7:54 pm

So, how long until I’m seeing tons of love handles, stretch marks and fat asses hanging out of these fantastic outfits?

And when will people learn the difference between you’re and your?! Come on people. I ignored everything you had to say because I CAN’T TAKE YOU SERIOUSLY.

4. MissThang
    November 9, 2011 7:57 pm

Um. Okay Sam. Yet you read the whole thing and are actively participating in the thread. Some of us have jobs AND creep on FB. Multitasking is easy peasy. How did you find this thread employed non-FB creeper?

5. Clementine
    November 9, 2011 7:57 pm

This is SOOO funny. All y’uns turdy hater-raters, y’uns should know that squatting by a chain fence in your Stiller-ettos with Hittsburgh on your ass is WHERE ITZ AT!!

N’at.

Dear “ONE girl.. that lives in Pittsburgh”, please don’t let this post deter your entrepreneurial spirit. But you may want to develop a marketing plan beyond spamming the comments on a blog that your product demographic would never visit anyway. We just like to poke fun at Hizzoner Master Lukey. It’s not really about you. Hey, at one point in my life, I sported a banana clip and leg-warmers. Glass houses, n’at.

6. Sam
    November 9, 2011 8:05 pm

MissThang, you spelled YOUR name wrong. Dummy. Multitasking is easy, but maybe you should focus more on your job then fb. I don’t have to creep Facebook to find this website plastered all over the place in statuses claiming how dumb this whole thing is. It’s the first thing I saw when I opened my page.So save your sarcastic comments for someone that gives a shit.
    And as for you Seriously? you will have love handles and stretch marks hanging out of any clothing line. Why pick one and put it on blast? Oh that’s right cause you all are secretly fair weather fans that support a rapist but not a clothing line endorsed by a fellow Steeler. OH and I’m so sorry my spelling is not up to your standards, let me know when you get your english degree then we can talk.

Until then, The Ravens won get over it. Take your misguided aggression out on someone else. WAHHHHHH :'(

7. Jae Lee
    November 9, 2011 8:06 pm

It doesn’t matter what girls wear, you are going to see love handles, stretch marks, and fat asses no matter who’s clothing line it is.

Lol @ Clementine the marketing plan didn’t include this blog’s free publicity, it was brought to you by the author of the blog :) if this opinion was never put out there it would have stayed warm and cozy on the website and Facebook. But someone decided to email the author with the information.

8. Amy
    November 9, 2011 8:09 pm

Re: #99 – the items are made by ONE girl.. that lives in Pittsburgh.

I call bullsh*t on that. Maybe ONE GIRL designs everything, and she lives here. But she doesn’t sew everything. There’s no way that ONE GIRL can sew a t-shirt and sell it for $15.49 on a website. Economically impossible. Not enough time in the day. No way that ONE GIRL can sew an entire line of clothing and price it for resale in the Strip. She might be a local DESIGNER but where do the clothes come from? China? Indonesia? I sincerely doubt that ONE GIRL is sewing her fingers to bloody stumps to make enough clothing to run this company.

9. Jae Lee
    November 9, 2011 8:16 pm

@Amy good point, I realize the error in my answer. As far as the clothing and how it is before the designs etc are applied, no idea where the blank canvas of clothes comes from. However, I can still be wrong. She might make them from bulk fabric, since that is how she designs her other line, from yards of fabric.

10. FeelingLeftOut
    November 9, 2011 8:18 pm

LOUD NOISES!!

11. Shibori
    November 9, 2011 8:27 pm

I was starting to wonder if there were some Inception-level twists of logic going on here that would go so far past nonsensical that they’d come back around to making sense by default. And then I saw the phrase “cudos to the designer” and I just decided to weep for humanity instead.

12. Krista
    November 9, 2011 8:42 pm

My last comment of this whole mess of a thread is to the original author of it. In your about me you state that you would do anything for sick kids. Here’s an idea..before you bash a line and someone for supporting it, do your research. The line is endorsed by James Harrison, and a steady percentage of proceeds benefit the James Harrison Family Foundation. Since you apparently didn’t do your homework before blindly blogging and bashing the mayor and the “stripper wear” of the line I’ll help with your education on the matter. http://www.jamesharrisonfamilyfoundation.org/

13. Bram R
    November 9, 2011 9:03 pm

@Krista – What’s the steady percentage? Also, there are obviously some sexy tight revealing clothes in this line for women, but is there anything similar for men who are trying to impress THEIR men?

14. Angelina
    November 9, 2011 9:05 pm

Ooohhhhh game-over

15. Virginia
    November 9, 2011 9:08 pm

Krista, I see nothing on the Hittsburgh site and nothing on the James Harrison Family Foundation site that says anything at all about Hittsburgh donating anything to the foundation.

So how can I research it if the information isn’t out there?

So I’m not sure where you’re getting that a steady percentage of proceeds benefit the James Harrison Family Foundation.

I have found not one single shred of anything showing that Hittsburgh donates a portion of the sales of items to the James Harrison Family Foundation. Seems if that was the case, they’d put that out there for people to know that they’re really donating to his foundation.

Unless you mean that you think James Harrison is donating his income from the sales of these items to his own foundation, but again, nothing on the Internet saying that, and I looked.

16. Monty
    November 9, 2011 9:10 pm

Relatively innocuos, non-controversial things really make me furious! I will share that with you, but my name is fake! So you don’t know who I am! Only women say va-jay-jay! Shit, I just said it! AAAAAGGGHHHH, I’m internally consistent!! AAAAGGHHHHH. I didn’t even care this much about Joe Pa! Why hasn’t anyone called out Ed Hardy yet??!!!???

17. Virginia
    November 9, 2011 9:12 pm

Hilarious, Monty! Also, if va-jay-jay bothers you, try bajingo. Much more fun to say.

Bajingo!

18. empirechick
    November 9, 2011 9:58 pm

Sam @ 106: Don’t make me call Butcher’s Dog on you…

19. nycldenise
    November 9, 2011 10:14 pm

First off, we all know that Hizzoner would support anything that provided him with something free. Secondly, I don’t know who in their right mind would see that Hizzoner Lukey endorsed something and say, “Now I need to get me some of THAT”.

20. Mary White
    November 9, 2011 10:15 pm

I just went to the Hittsburgh web site. They are going to have kids clothing. I can only imagine what items they will sell…pull-ups with Hittsburgh across the bottom, slutty wear for little girls similar to what is seen on Toddlers and Tiaras.

BTW — didn’t see anything on the web site about making donations to James Harrison’s foundation.

21. Bill Clinton
    November 9, 2011 10:21 pm

Golly! I ain’t seen girls dressed up and a’ struttin’ thata’ way since that last time I visited a trailer park in Arkansas!

22. Sam
    November 9, 2011 10:33 pm

@ 118: hahahahaha keeping it classy huh?

23. Shibori
    November 9, 2011 10:41 pm

I’d just like to note that the James Harrison Family Foundation does not show up in a search of the PA Bureau of Charitable Organization’s database (of organizations registered to solicit donations in PA), or the IRS’s list of charitable organizations (eligible to accept charitable donations). Perhaps their 501c3 application is pending, or they’re using a fiscal sponsor, or the name is different, or it was formed in a different state, but none of that information is on their website.

24. Sam's Dog
    November 9, 2011 11:24 pm

Wow! 123 comments and only one Joepa reference. There is a God. To all of the posters here using language and abbreviations not usually seen here, thanks for a good diversion.

25. Bitter
    November 10, 2011 1:01 am

I almost peed my pants reading these comments, specifically: “Seriously, this line of clothing has been a long time coming,” the ass pic Ginny left out, “I’d buy two of those…one to sh*t on and one to cover it up with” and every single one that referred to this line as classy. Trailer trash glam ≠ classy fashion line! And why do we need a classy fashion line for football gear anyway?! This is Pittsburgh! Throw on your hoodie and jersey and a pair of jeans like every other yinzer. No one is wearing that jewel encrusted crap at a December tailgate!

26. Bitter
    November 10, 2011 1:02 am

* to a December tailgate!

27. Bitter
    November 10, 2011 1:08 am

“Lukey is such a hoe”. LMAO!

November 10, 2011 1:52 am

how fucking dare you say that a man can’t control a desire to fondle a woman because of her clothing? are you really that small minded?

Right on, sister! As a liberated man, the time is NOW for me to be able to put on my Armani suit and my Rolex watch and stuff my pockets with $100 bills and drive my Ferrari to the projects at midnight and leave it parked with the doors unlocked and the keys in the ignition and go for a stroll …

What? How fucking DARE you suggest that crooks and criminals will beat the shit out of me because of my appearance? I have a RIGHT to wear what I want and go where I want and do what I want and blah blah blah without common sense or consequences.

hello haha narf, the whole room is dumber for you having walked in.

29. hellohahanarf
    November 10, 2011 7:40 am

bucdaddy, i am not surprised such an ignorant comment came from you. by your logic, those little boys were raped because they showered with sandusky.
    it is simply unacceptable that individuals cannot control their sexual urges. permission from the object of one’s desire is an absolute must. until it is granted, keep your fucking hands to yourself.

30. victoria
    November 10, 2011 10:06 am

Well, I can start by saying I am one of the models in the pictures. I am not a stripper. I’m married a mom and a good person. So maybe when you post you should think about the slander and who you are hurting. The outfits were worn two different ways during the show. One way was with leggings and a tank top, the second way was sexier. It depends on how you choose to wear the clothes. Also, it was a fashion show, meant to be entertaining. If we had just walked out in jeans and a hoody people would be bored to tears. The clothes are very comfortable, stylish, and affordable. More importantly, they are meant to be fun! I feel bad that all these people have chosen to be so completely nasty, especially when they dont HAVE to buy it or wear it. Also, they were clearly not at the show or looked at the full photo line. I hope everyone will read this and understand that in any case, it’s not right to slander others and be so mean. There is enough negativity and horrible things that go in in this world, hittsburgh is a clothing line that is fun and new. Let’s treat it that way instead of spreading hate.

31. ML
    November 10, 2011 10:54 am

Kudo’s to Victoria. She is a kind woman with integrity. Being nice doesn’t hurt anyone. Good Luck to Hittsburgh!!! I hope you’re successful.

32. RJQ
    November 10, 2011 11:02 am

LOL this comment thread. For any woman to support James Harrison, I will judge you so hard because he’s a misogynist, woman abuser. If a woman hates her sex so much to support someone like that, then you better expect for people to hate and dis on you.

I refuse to slut-shame women who dress scantally but come on now, who is gonna freeze there buns off at Heinz Field because they want to ~look sexy?

33. Ex-Pat Pittsburgh Girl
    November 10, 2011 12:03 pm

Ok, pet peeve time. When something is written, there is the posssibility that it is “libel”. When it is spoken, it may be “slander”. (Just remember the ‘i” for written and the “s” for spoken.) Also, just because someone says/writes something that may not be true, doesn’t mean it’s libelous or slanderous. There is a required mens rea (latin for “guilty mind”) that goes to the intent of the speaker or writer. People stating/writing their opinions, even if they’re opinions are not based in truth, does not give rise to slander/libel without the requisite mens rea. So ends today’s legal lesson.

34. Ex-Pat Pittsburgh Girl
    November 10, 2011 12:04 pm

Oops. Sorry, “even if their opinions”. Stupid autocorrect should just leave those homonyms alone.

November 10, 2011 12:36 pm

it is simply unacceptable that individuals cannot control their sexual urges.

It is simply unacceptable that (presumably adult) individuals think they can absolve themselves of any and all responsibility for using common sense. It is simply unacceptable that (presumably adult) individuals are naive enough to believe that the way things SHOULD be is the way things ARE.

November 10, 2011 12:40 pm

Victoria,

Do you mind my asking, which one are you? You seem nice enough, I’m not setting you up to take a shot at you, but I might have a serious question for you depending on your answer.

37. hello haha narf
    November 10, 2011 12:40 pm

sounds to me like bucdaddy is a presumably adult who likes to grope presumably adult women in skimpy clothing and chalk it up to the guilty women asking for it.

38. red pen mama
    November 10, 2011 12:49 pm

@bucdaddy, you know I’m usually a fan, but @hellohahanarf is in the right. Blaming the victim is wrong. Yeah, people can be stupid, but that doesn’t excuse other people from taking (criminal) advantage.

39. Katie
    November 10, 2011 1:09 pm

Did you know WTAE gave away Hittsburgh stuff last year?

November 10, 2011 1:17 pm

red pen mama,

I’ll address this to you, since you seem to be one of the few adults in the room.

You (and, in fact, hello haha narf) are exactly right: “that doesn’t excuse other people from taking (criminal) advantage.”

But that’s why they’re criminals, because they DON’T CARE WHAT YOU THINK. You don’t leave your house unlocked when you’re not home, because criminals will take advantage. Locking your house is common sense. You don’t leave your wallet in your car and your car unlocked, because criminals will take advantage. Locking your car is common sense. You don’t go down to the worst part of town at midnight wearing a $25,000 watch and have a wander around because criminals will take advantage. Staying out of dangerous places is common sense.

You certainly have the RIGHT to leave your house and your car unlocked. You certainly have the RIGHT to venture to the worst part of town and have a wander around at midnight. But if you do, what are you going to use to defend yourself and your property: The law? Your rights?

Sure, bad things can happen to you right in your cozy own bed at home in the daylight. It’s far less likely, however, than if you are wandering around the projects at midnight wearing a Rolex, don’t you think? Can we agree on that? Whenever some idiot athlete gets shot or robbed, I always ask: Was he in a strip club at midnight or in church at noon? You know what the answer almost always is?

One thing Virginia does pretty well here, and that we regularly jojn in, is making fun of idiots who do stupid things. “America’s Funniest Videos” has built a franchise off people hurting themselves doing stupid things. You know how you avoid getting hurt doing stupid things? DON’T DO STUPID THINGS.

So in some cases, YES, you CAN blame the victim for being an idiot. Why is this such a hard concept to understand? Have we slipped this far as a civilized society?

So if you dress like a skank, despite all your precious rights, there are going to be people who think you ARE a skank and will treat you accordingly. Fortunately, most of them, like me, will be able to control their urges, no matter how hot and bothered you get them. But heaven help you if one day you bump up against someone who can’t. You might wind up drunk out of your mind in a restroom with Ben Roethlisberger.

41. hello haha narf
    November 10, 2011 1:41 pm

red pen mama,
    take note of what bucdaddy says. be sure this summer not to wear shorts or someone else might think they are too tight or too short and be unable to keep their hands off your ass. you never know where bucdaddy and his victim blaming friends might be hanging out.
    and please, don’t even consider a bathing suit that bucdaddy might consider too revealing. just wear a skirt to your ankles and a turtle neck to protect yourself.

November 10, 2011 1:52 pm

Shhh, adults talking here. People who understand rights come with responsibilities.

43. Julia
    November 10, 2011 1:58 pm

What an entertaining comment thread!! There are a lot of commenters who I can almost guarantee are not regulars to this blog, or they would have a better sense of humor by now.

Someone said in the beginning of the thread that this reminded them of Entertainment 720 on Parks and Rec. I completely agree!! I didn’t think anything as ridiculous would ever happen in real life in our town, though. What a comical little enterprise they have there at Hittsburgh. I can’t even say it without chuckling a little.

And, as for the mayor: par for the course. At least he’s reminding us he’s still here. Somewhere. At a party. Bein’ our mayor.

44. hello haha narf
    November 10, 2011 2:00 pm

exactly. especially when being responsible means regardless of how hot you find another human, unless you have consent keep your hands to yourself.

45. victoria
    November 10, 2011 2:30 pm

I’m the one people are commenting the most about.

46. Dan (Not Onorato)
    November 10, 2011 2:35 pm

Victoria-

Can you be more specific? Theyve covered alot of topics…

Jussayin…

47. Butcher's Dog
    November 10, 2011 2:59 pm

@empirechick: I’m here when you need me. And Sam…your sentence ending with “then fb” should read “than fb”. If you’re doing a comparison, which seems to be your point about focus, then it’s “than”. “Then” is a time sequence, indicating one thing happened after another. Mispronunciation is the biggest cause for this misuse of the two words.

Just sayin’.

November 10, 2011 3:05 pm

Victoria,

OK, then, I take it you are the one with “Hittsburgh” across your … derriere.

You mention you are a mother, so 50-50 chance you have a son. If you do, my question for you is: Will you be showing these photos to him and his friends when he’s 14?

That’s a lot of supposing, I guess, but I was just hoping to raise the notion that what seems like a great idea when you’re relatively young (and I wouldn’t guess at how old you are), such as dressing in short shorts with “Hittsburgh” across the ass, might not seem like such a great idea when you’re in your 40s and your teen mass of hormones is … um, drooling over photos of chicks wearing short shorts with “Hittsburgh” across the ass.

Yeah, I’m old. What’s that got to do with anything?

November 10, 2011 3:15 pm

Everyone else,

I know I come across like an asshole when this discussion comes up. I understand there’s a very good reason for trying to persuade women that rape and sexual assault is never their fault: It’s to encourage women to report the crime. Because a woman who has doubts (“Maybe I led him on, maybe I’m responsible, maybe it was MY fault”) might not report the criminal to the police, as she should. I get all that.

But I think it’s swung too far that direction, to where now the popular belief is that people are ABSOLUTELY never even a teeny tiny bit responsible for the consequences of their choices and behavior, they’re never doing the wrong thing in the wrong place at the wrong time, it’s always somebody else’s fault, and I think that’s … irresponsible. And condescending.

Bad choices and bad behavior can have bad consequences.

50. Tom Cruise
    November 10, 2011 3:16 pm

I wanted to support the NFL team here in Pittsburgh while I am filming my movie. I really wanted to buy a dress for my wife since she is 17 years younger than I am and she might be able to still pull this off.

When I went to link that was provided, all I saw was hooded sweatshirts and tee-shirts. I contacted Tom Haverford and he said: ‘You have to start following my tweets yo.’ So I followed @Entertainment720 and @Hittsburgh and all I saw was more pictures of the mayor.

Wondering if the mayor would consider being in the movie I am filming here. He could be the mayor of the city and I can be the cop out to fight corruption. If he reads this, I will meet the mayor at the Scientology bookstore on the Southside tomorrow at noon.