It hit the fan, Internet.

I’ve avoided the Penn State scandal since my post on it mostly because I’m happy that those the grand jury implicated in it have all been removed from Penn State and that leaves the public to focus on the victims and the upcoming trials.

Lots of shit has hit the fan since that post. Mark Madden let it leak that reporters are investigating the possibility that Sandusky was pimping the kids out to donors of the Second Mile. Paterno resigned for the end of the season, saying “in hindsight” he wished he would have done more. He was fired that very evening. Riots. Idiots who never marched for the abused, marched for the one they saw as the victim in their eyes. Someday they’ll regret that. Sandusky spoke to Bob Costas and took ten seconds to say he wasn’t sexually attracted to boys. The Second Mile president resigned. Mike McQueary is gone but claimed that he stopped the rape, not “physically,” but somehow he stopped it and he went to the police, but the police say that isn’t true.  And on and on and on they all fall down like toy soldiers. [/Martika]

Now, we have a local spin on the story and that’s why I’m broaching it again.

Franco Harris, in an interview, defended Joe Paterno’s actions in the wake of the 2002 accusation by McQueary, who he also defended. Not only that, he personally traveled to Penn State to try to meet with the Board of Trustees to ask them to re-hire Joe Paterno. Joe was Franco’s coach and they are seemingly quite close.

I disagree with just about everything Franco said about Joe Paterno and Mike McQueary. Vehemently.

Despite this, I love Franco Harris. I’ve met him several times through my work and through our restaurant. He attended our first grand opening. He sang mariachi songs with the kids. He is a good person and despite this difference of opinion, I believe he is still a good person, just perhaps one with a misguided sense of loyalty to Joe Paterno that has clouded his ability to see clearly where things went wrong at Penn State.

Franco was quickly fired as a spokesperson for the Meadows Casino, which is very much their prerogative, because from a PR standpoint, that’s a sudden and unwanted association with the most negative and atrocious news story in recent years. Some companies don’t wish to deal with possible fallout from that kind of negative association and choose to part with the spokesperson. See Mendenhall, Rashard.

Now Lukey has written Franco a very strong letter demanding he resign as chair of the Pittsburgh Promise, of which Lukey is a member of the board. First, I wasn’t aware that one board member could demand a chair resign. It just doesn’t work that way in the nonprofit sector.

You can go read the letter here. Here’s the BIG part:

“It is my ethical and moral responsibility to recognize that you are no longer a suitable representative for any organization, let alone ours, and demand that you resign immediately from the Board of the Pittsburgh Promise.”

The Pittsburgh Promise has defended Franco and Franco himself said he has no intention of leaving the Promise, but has temporarily stepped down as chair while remaining a full voting member.

Here’s my thoughts on this:

1. I don’t agree with what Franco said and I don’t agree with him saying it so very publicly, because it came across as very calloused toward the victims. But because he chose to throw himself into the fire, he has to deal with the heat. Some of that heat will come in the form of lost income. In his defense, he did speak out on behalf of the victims yesterday, but the damage is done unfortunately.

2. That said, regardless of whether or not you think Franco should have been asked to step down by the Meadows or Lukey, I think many would agree with my opinion that Lukey went overboard in a very finger-wagging, tsking, fire and brimstone kind of way.

I’m not sure what the Mayor thought to accomplish by handling things this way.  The email, which was also sent to the Promise board, is beyond over the top and goes so far as to link to an article about the Meadows. WTF? Did he think Franco was going to read it and go, “The Meadows fired me?! Why didn’t I know about this?!” Did he think the Board of Trustees were all vacationing under a rock? The linking to the article leads me to believe that Lukey had every intention of the public seeing his angry missive.

Did he think we were going to grab our torches and pitchforks and march on Sewickley? Did he do it to embarrass the father of his recent mayoral opponent by writing him a letter with the vitriol usually reserved for an email to the woman you caught your husband cheating with?

It is all too public and angry and THE HAMMER OF THOR-ish.  I don’t even know if Thor has a hammer and if he uses it to mete out swift merciless justice but I like the sound of it so HAMMER OF THOR it is.

The email almost reads like the kind of open letter/rant I would post to Rashard Mendenhall after he ran his mouth on twitter about oral sex and 9/11. But I can get away with that. I’m just a blogger. Rashard doesn’t know I exist. I have no power and no connection to him. I’m NOT THE FREAKING MAYOR.

3. I think if the Promise decides Franco, in light of his public opinions about this case, is no longer the best person to be leading an organization dedicated to helping young people access higher education, they would do the decent thing and sit him down and privately ask him to resign. Even calling him would be better.  I can’t see them ever taking the angry high-horse tack Lukey is taking.

Lukey, writing Franco a direct letter and telling him that in your esteemed high and mighty state of moral superiority that he is “no longer a suitable representative for any organization” (emphasis mine) smacks of disdain that runs far below the surface of whatever murky waters you’re treading. Franco has been a spokesperson for Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program for decades and they’ve indicated that they will not be making any changes to that. Each organization should choose for itself if Franco’s opinion is worth a permanent separation regardless of what your perceived ethical and moral responsibility is. In this case, all we want to hear from anyone is that it is our ethical and moral responsibility to stop and report child abuse to the police.

You’re the MAYOR. Unlike us lowly bloggers, YOU have to be diplomatic. YOU have to be a grown up.

YOU have GOT to get better freaking advisers.

P.S. I assume you’ll be cheering on your buddy Big Ben next week? That twice-accused-of-sexual-assault friend whose wedding you attended? Isn’t it your moral and ethical responsibility to tell him that maybe he’s not a good representative for his foundation or ANY organization? I mean, since Franco was expressing an opinion about a matter but it was Ben who was actually the accused, it seems to me one of those is worse than the other. But what do I know? I’m just a stupid blogger.

———

What do you guys think about this? I’d really love to hear both sides of this issue. I doubt there are many that agree with Franco’s views, but are they enough that he should be asked to step down from the Promise? And are they enough that Lukey should have blasted him the way he did? Is my love and respect for Franco clouding my judgment the same way his love and respect for Joe Paterno is clouding his?

1. Jules
    November 18, 2011 1:31 pm

This has been a very difficult scandal for me to wrap my brain around. My son, in 2007 and 2008, attended Sandusky’s football camp. He was doors away from him in the dorm. My husband, in-laws, brother, niece and nephew all attended Penn State. I worked there for a while. We attend football games and were there last week at the game. I agree that ALL associated with allowing Sandusky to be in the company of children after the initial report should have been terminated.

Do I think Joe Paterno, is at heart, a good man? I think he’d like to believe so – I now question every intention of his. Did he donate all that money based on a guilty conscious? Did he not step down as head football coach because he worried about what those following him would find out? I cannot forgive Joe, Graham Spanier or the others. I would NEVER have sent my son to a camp run by a child molester (or someone accused of it). And if anything had happened to him . . . well I can’t fathom what I’d do.

Do I think Franco is right to defend Joe Paterno? Yes – it’s his right – just like I have the right to not support Joe. Do I think Luke Ravenstahl should have voiced his opinion? Not publicly, but perhaps privately. It was grandstanding on his part.

2. Jaime
    November 18, 2011 1:33 pm

Joe Paterno wasn’t fired because he was an enabler. He was fired because the Board of Trustees couldn’t allow the association any longer. Penn State will be sued. Penn State has the focus of the authorities, the media, etc. They had to severe all ties. They had to save their business. Unfortunately the person that is/was at the center of everything Penn State is also tied to the scandal. Penn State had to think about Penn State and not about Joe Paterno.

3. parkingchair
    November 18, 2011 2:03 pm

I feel torn about this. If i write in support of franco, someone may (appropriately, in the eyes of many of you) demand that i be punished. If I write in support of the mayor, some of you may demand i be labelled an idiot.

here’s the fact everyone seems to ignore; the first amendment.

Franco Harris is not a villain because he stood up for a man he has known personally for nearly 40 years. He knows the real Joe Paterno more than any of us – he must believe he is a good man who did a really stupid, irresponsible thing.

God forbid all of us if one mistake, no matter how large, erases a lifetime of good work. I assume Ginny and everyone who visits her blog has a spotless record in life?

Franco Harris has a right to state his opinion on any matter. Lukey has the right to disagree and recommend he step down. But to personally assassinate Franco’s character over what he said in support of a friend, not in support of Sandusky or the alleged crimes, is far worse.

And as much as Sandusky seems guilty as sin, he still hasn’t been charged pet alone convicted. This knee jerk society of ours is getting out of hand. When do the lynchings begin?

4. Burgh Diaspora
    November 18, 2011 2:17 pm

How far will the ripple effect reach? Let’s keep in mind who the villain is.

I am a practicing Catholic. Despite the horrible sexual abuse of children by certain priests, and the church’s decades-long cover up, I still attend mass regularly. Am I guilty of abusing children by association because I didn’t denounce my faith? Does Franco condone the sexual abuse of children because he is supporting his longtime friend and mentor? It’s not a simple black and white issue.

5. spoon
    November 18, 2011 2:18 pm

I find it ironic that Lukey is the one talking about ethical and moral responsibility. That’s like Skippy talking about sobriety and abstinence.

6. JennyMoon
    November 18, 2011 2:18 pm

Thor does in fact have a hammer. You should rent the movie. It’s cute and family friendly.

November 18, 2011 2:30 pm

I am highly amused that a casino — an operation that sucks millions of dollars out of people’s pockets using the modern equivalent of what used to be called “one-armed bandits” — would dare get all righteous and moralistic on anybody. “Image”? The proper image for a casino (and its cousin the lottery) is “bloodsucking fiend.”

But maybe that’s just me …

8. Bulldog
    November 18, 2011 2:32 pm

@Jaime #52.

My question is why did the board have to “sever all ties” when by their own admission, in their public statements they “don’t know all the facts”? Taking such a knee-jerk reaction without even being prudent enough to know what the facts are won’t stop any of the unfortunate consequences you note above.

What did they solve by severing all ties and why couldn’t they have done something more measured like simply placing the concerned parties on “administrative leave” or suspension pending the outcome of an independent investigation?

As of this time, the TWO university employees who are ACTUALLY indicted & charged with committing felonies are receiving more University support than those who ARE NOT charged. In what version of reality does that strike anyone as “reasonable?”

If paid “administrative leave” and “retirement” are good enough personnel status for two officials currently under indictment, why should two men not actually accused of criminal conduct be subject to much harsher action without so much as a benefit of being heard?

9. Monty
    November 18, 2011 2:33 pm

What scares me is that things like this usually happens in threes. Mark my words, Walter Abercrombie will come out with a statement in defense of Rebecca Black’s music within 30 days.

November 18, 2011 2:48 pm

Oh, and as for Franco, I lost all respect when he STARTED shilling for the Meadows and became a lure for losers.

Also, all the sheep who automatically vote “D” will have forgotten about this little fuss long before Election Day gets here. Luke knows that.

11. Sheila
    November 18, 2011 2:52 pm

my thought is if you disagree with something one of your board members has done then hold a meeting about it in private and discuss it. You don’t send a letter to the guy, release it to the public & ask him to step down as chair. Especially when its only your opinion & not the entire board’s opinion.

Here’s the thing – does anyone really think that Franco Harris doesn’t care about the victims or the safety of children in general? Come On! Mayor Luke wanted an opportunity to make headlines on the PSU scandal & this was it. Get off your damn high horse!

Frankly, to me all of this PSU fallout is getting way out of hand. I don’t mean to make light of what has happened but people support those that are accused of crimes all the time. And if we were fired for speaking our opinion then what is the point of free speech?

12. Scott
    November 18, 2011 2:54 pm

Bucdaddy, even a casino reserves the right to take the high road when it is taking a stand against raping young boys.

13. Bulldog
    November 18, 2011 3:14 pm

Quoting from today’s Wilkes Barre Citizens’ Voice – a spokesman for the PA Attorney General’s office, Nils Frederiksen, last week questioned the university’s motive for firing Paterno while it provided legal counsel for two officials accused of perjury in the case. The university allowed one of the officials, athletic director Tim Curley, to take an administrative leave until the case is resolved.

“We have a cooperating witness, an individual who testified, provided truthful testimony,” Frederiksen said, “but two others who were found by a grand jury to commit perjury whose legal expenses are being paid for university. One is on administrative leave. Very interesting development.”

Seems pretty clear that the AG’s office doesn’t view Paterno as an enabler of child rape.

14. Jessica
    November 18, 2011 3:22 pm

@parkingchair #53 – I think you need to brush up on your first amendment. It only protects you from prosecution by the government and there are exceptions even to that.

I agree with so many on here that are asking “where does it end?”. Franco is entitled to his opinion regardless of what it may be or how unpopular it may make him. And as a public figure, he does need to think a little more before he speaks because there are consequences. However shouldn’t we be a little bit more concerned about the actual person who molested the children? This whole thing has turned into a public bashing of Joe Paterno, and now Franco Harris, when it’s the terrible things Sandusky did that got us to this point in the first place. I don’t agree with Paterno’s actions but on the spectrum of bad to worse I think his actions fall way below that of what Sandusky did. And yet, he seems to be taking the most crap for the whole ordeal.

As for the mayor, this is just one more idiotic thing to add to the pile. Maybe he should concentrate on real work instead of begging for a role in the Batman movie or using a terrible tragedy where children were raped to further his own political/personal agenda.

15. Chloe
    November 18, 2011 3:29 pm

Widdle Wukey’s office has always been full of piss & vinegar! From the “director” to his spiteful spokesperson Doven. They come out swinging. You’re right, where’s his high horse for Ben? For Ricky Burgess accused of sex for A’s?. His history is to smite his enemies and call them “political”. He can barely find his way to the office but this is where he choses to take the high road? Something doesn’t seem right.

November 18, 2011 3:36 pm

ugh.

I think that what I have seen here from franco is what I have seen from many of my penn state friends. and, that is they are in a state of disbelief that such a thing might have occurred at their school. and, as such, many of these PSU friends of mine defended joepa and believed that he should not have lost his job over this situation.

as much as I might have disagreed with them, I tried to see it from their point of view. and, I have empathy for how they feel.

and, I see franco as being in that same boat.

perhaps with the aid of time and seeing how things develop, the opinions of franco and some of my PSU friends will change.

the way that I see it, the only reason that ravenstahl would take such a route would be for political, self-serving reasons. there was no witch hunt asking for franco’s head on a lance. there are much bigger fish to fry.

as someone stated above — if franco instead had come to the defense of sandusky, whole different story.

17. parkingchair
    November 18, 2011 4:48 pm

@ Jessica, I fully understand the first amendment.

My point is – Franco Harris did nothing wrong.

Ravenstahl attacked Harris for “stating an opinion.”

Now, should someone suggest you or I step down from some position we are in for having opposing opinions on an issue? It’s like the Salem witch trials.

18. Ex-Pat Pittsburgh Girl
    November 18, 2011 4:59 pm

Well, for those wishing despicable things to happen to Paterno (and nowhere in this statement am I’m implying that anyone commenting on this blog did such a thing), you got your wish: It’s been announced that he’s been diagnosed with lung cancer (says it’s treatable). http://bit.ly/dLF4b1

19. Sam's Dog
    November 18, 2011 10:41 pm

@ Butcher’s and Bull, apparently us dogs share alot of the same genes, I couldn’t agree more with your comments. As to all of the rest of you clamoring about how horrible Paterno is for not caring enough about helpless victims, please explain how Proctor and Gamble’s withdrawal of support for THON is any less of the same.

20. Kevin
    November 18, 2011 10:42 pm

When in the hell is someone in the city going to wake up and stop electing this knucklehead?

21. Jamie
    November 18, 2011 11:41 pm

It’s time for the witch hunt to stop NOW. We don’t have all the facts in this case, and I’m sick of people trying to out-outrage each other based on breathless media reports. Franco should be able to offer his love and support to his coach and mentor, someone he has known for decades — and who has NOT been accused of ANY crime — without people threatening to tar and feather him. This lynch mob mentality does NOTHING for the victims. And just FYI — I was molested as a child, so I have some personal experience with this. And for the record, Ravenstahl is officlally a GIANT JAGOFF.

22. Sexy Jesus
    November 19, 2011 10:31 pm

I didn’t realize that all of Penn State supported the sexual abuse of children. Someone should tell the alums who have raised nearly half a million dollars in two weeks for a victim support group. Thank God we have loud, shrill commentors like Scott to remind us that sexual abuse of children is wrong. Remember, if you are not the loudest most over the top person against Sandusky, Paterno, Spanier, the English department, support staff and students, then YOU SUPPORT CHILD RAPE! Oh wait, that’s not true at all. Where are my meds?

Getting to the Wittle Lukey portion of this debate: does anyone think Luke would have dared to question a Steeler legend and Hall of Famer if Franco’s son had not run against him? This is Luke getting petty payback on a long held grudge, nothing more.

23. Butcher's Dog
    November 20, 2011 10:53 am

@Sam’s Dog: we may share a lot of the same genes, but I’ll never agree to be labeled a part of anything resembling “Dog Pound”. Just sayin’!

The retired English teacher in me strenuously objects to the use of labels here. “Child Rape Enabler” lets us skate over the person Joe Paterno and demonize him. It’s the same with any label, especially those dealing with ethnic identifications, gender, or sexual preferences. I hate labels, pure and simple.

Thor does, indeed, have a hammer. And while there may be a movie in which it’s cute, in Norse Myth it was the most destructive force imaginable. Only unleashed in the most desperate of circumstances.

Finally, does anyone else think “Fame Whores” would be a great name for a band that couldn’t play worth shit but was always in the news? If that one was already taken, “Lindsay Lohan” would work, too.

24. Jen
    November 20, 2011 4:31 pm

Ginny, I’m a tad surprised that you side with Franco as much as you do. He was one of the main individuals behind preventing the Pens from building a new arena. He tried to get them to leave the city, based on his own business ventures. Hence why people were so pissed off last year when Franco was chosen to drop the puck at the Winter Classic. He has been largely against the organization in previous years.

Also, as Mark Madden said (and experienced)-you can say what you want, but that doesn’t mean your employer is going to like it and continue to employ you just the same.

25. Z
    November 21, 2011 12:45 pm

While I don’t share Franco’s opinion of the situation, he does still have first ammendment rights to free speech. We’ve become a nation of PCers (politically correcters) who feel only the ‘correct’ shall be allowed to express an opinion without penalty.

Yes, Cannery Casinos did have every right to sever the relationship with Franco. However, Lukey really took advantage of the situation and blew it out of proportion. (Think snowmaggeden)

Glad I’m an old lady. I’ll see more of this kind of BS but I won’t be around for the final mind control that’s bound to happen.

26. Scott
    November 21, 2011 2:31 pm

Sexy Jesus,

You’ll have to forgive me, and others, for the level of our outrage on this topic. But yeah…I am outraged, and it has nothing to do with trying to “out-outrage” anyone.

Sorry if that offends you somehow.

27. Ben
    November 21, 2011 3:19 pm

You make a very good point here:

28. Sexy Jesus
    November 21, 2011 7:43 pm

No, Scott. You’re the pretty much the only one. I was trying to be polite and not single you out. It’s the idea that Penn Staters are incapable of understanding the public’s disgust that I find so annoying. And, yes, you are trying to be more outraged than the last guy (reread what you’ve written, ever, it’s your thing).

29. Scott
    November 22, 2011 9:17 am

Wow, clairvoyance?!?! Very impressive, SJ….thanks for helping me understand how I really feel!

If it makes you feel better about Penn State to slam me for being disgusted by this, go for it. Obviously, I have a very different view of the situation. So do most of the people I have spoken with outside of this blog. Tomato/tomahto.

30. efw_west
    November 22, 2011 10:26 am

Franco is part of the PSU cult and it is very hard to become de-programmed from a cult. Add in the fact the head shots he took while playing and there you have your reason for his ridiculous comments.

31. Dan (Not Onorato)
    November 22, 2011 11:24 am

I dont agree with Franco but as others have stated before, he is entitled to his own opinion.

The attitude Mayor Luke is throwing around in his email asking Franco to step down is pathetic. People in glass houses shouldn’t throw freakin stones.

I am a PSU grad (sorry not in the cult though) and agree that anyone even remotely involved should be gone and I mean flush the entire system.

32. Scott
    November 22, 2011 12:29 pm

Paterno’s legacy and alleged “class act” are a fabricated myth re-enforced and protected by Penn State’s dysfunctional system. Even without the sexual abuse scandal, and his active participation in it, his history of highly questionable ethics is being exposed.

From today’s WSJ:

33. Big Red Beard
    November 22, 2011 1:38 pm

The mayor is a douchebag. I’ll spit at him if I see him. Douche. Bag.

34. Butcher's Dog
    November 22, 2011 2:09 pm

@Scott: if you think football players getting more favorable treatment than other students comprises “highly questionable ethics”, you better not look too closely at, oh, most of the high schools in America today. Or colleges. Or cities with NFL teams. Also, much of Paterno’s legacy is based on the huge amounts of revenue and endowment funds he’s helped the place raise since he got there. That part is pure math. No fabricated myth involved in that part. Also, check the graduation rate for Penn State football players compared to other schools in the country. As has been hashed and rehashed in this thread, the rush to judgement pretends that a hell of a lot of good didn’t really happen. That just doesn’t express reality, at least not reality as it’s known on this planet with a blue sky. Those from planets with other colored skies may be free to impose their own reality here.

35. jdk
    November 23, 2011 8:37 am

Well done. Even handed response to Franco’s misguided support for Joe Pa.

36. rjq
    November 23, 2011 2:30 pm

I’m sorry but I don’t give a hoot how much money Paterno threw at that place. He is a notorious control freak when it comes to that football program. If you think there wasn’t a day past that some form of corruption, whether it be for grades, attendence, or some form of civil disobediance, was committed by a member of the football program, you better believe that. I believe whole-heartedly that Paterno knew what was going on and deserves to be punished. I believe whole-heartedly that Harris just done drank the kool-aid.

And I saw a few comments about the casino and how they’re for “losers.” WUT? Did someone punch your puppy? Who are you, WBC?

November 25, 2011 11:12 am

rjq,

People who play the casinos ARE losers. They have to lose more than they win, or the House goes out of business. And the House ain’t going out of business. So the games have to be rigged; not in the sense that the casinos cheat, but in the sense that the odds MUST be against the gambler.

Simple math, my friend.

Same goes for the lottery. The lottery is fond of running ads showing how many people have won. You never see them running ads about how many more people lose. Once again, the lottery must take in more than it gives out, or the lottery, and then the state, go out of business. And they ain’t going out of business.

Simple math, my friend.

38. Butcher's Dog
    November 25, 2011 1:29 pm

I’m with bucdaddy on this. A former student called the lottery “a tax on stupidity.” Kid was pretty bright. It’s one thing to throw out a couple of bucks on the (very long) chance of reeling in $25 million or so. It’s another to drop anywhere from $25 to $50 a day on the scratch-off tickets, daily numbers, and the like. And I see that all the time at my local news depot.

Casinos are the same. I spent three weeks in the summer of 2001 at a theatre program at UNLV. Most of the people in the program were college kids or slightly beyond. People running it made the point daily “this town (Las Vegas) wasn’t built on winners.” There’s a reason all the casino and lottery ads run a problem gambler hotline number at the end of the ad. There’s also a reason why that’s in pretty small print. No one needs to punch your puppy for that to become obvious.

39. rjq
    November 28, 2011 10:18 am

Meh. That argument is well-known and stale. Casinos are fun for some people. Why you care enough about other people’s money enough to call them losers is beyond generalizing and immature.

Thanks for pointing out the simple math, btw. I missed it the first time. You forgot “Just Sayin'”.

Once a person is known to abuse a child, loyalty should fly right out of the window. Paterno enabled (or remained loyal to) a child rapist for many years. Neither Paterno nor Harris need (or perhaps to some, deserve) our support. I’m starting to lose faith is those who do not recognize that our support should be with the underpriviledged boys and girls who will no doubt fall into the hands of sick adults. I think I may have had more respect if Harris came out with a statement that focused on the kids instead of the adults. He could’ve advocated a charitable organization or volunteered at an abuse call-center.

November 28, 2011 11:53 am

As a social libertarian, I shouldn’t have a problem with grandma flushing her Social Security checks down the toilet at Atlantic City if she wants to, but as a fiscal conservative I resent having to pay for her effing prescription meds.

My question would be, if gambling is all so cool and harmless and just good, clean fun, why don’t they let 12-year-olds buy lottery tickets or play slots? Lots of allowance money out there that the states and the gambling mob haven’t tapped into yet, but I am 100 percent sure they’re working on ways to do so. The gambling forces will not sleep as long as there’s a dollar to be siphoned out of a sucker’s pocket.