Short little Random n’at

1. I’ll be taking all of next week off from this blog so I can enjoy my family and work on my magazine column.

Please have yourselves the best Thanksgiving you can before the jingle-bell madness of the holiday season is thrust upon us.

2. Tonight begins Light Up Night! If you’re looking to enjoy Light Up Night and donate to a great cause at the same time, you’ll want to hit Stage AE for their party featuring local band Moscow Mule. Randy Baumann will also be in the house as well as various Steelers. The event raises money for Variety The Children’s Charity.

Other details:

– Live band, ample adult beverages, and free food
– Private outdoor vantage point for the Light Up Night fireworks
– Easy parking on the North Shore
– Cool silent auction and Chinese auction items
– Support a tremendous local charity and support disabled children in Western PA
– It’s only $25 if you order tickets online. $30 at the door.

Clicky the linky!

3. Ricky Burgess, the city councilman who also teaches at CCAC, was accused via fliers posted on campus of trading grades for sex. He has adamantly denied the accusations while the police investigate. That said:

Marty Griffin: “Have you ever had a sexual relationship with a student?”

Ricky Burgess: “I did not do this. I have not engaged in these kind of activities or behaviors.”

Griffin: “Have you ever had a sexual relationship with a student?”

Burgess: “I did not do this.”

Griffin: “You’re not answering my question.”

Burgess: “No – I did not do this! No I have not! No!”

Griffin: “You have not had a sexual relationship with a student?”

Burgess: “No!”

Griffin: “Ever?”

Burgess: “Ever.”

That’s just a freaking odd way to answer the question.

4. Instructions for hacking an electronic roadside sign!

You know what to do.

“I rock my Hittsburgh gear to the fullest.”

(h/t @mrscrappy)

5. Twenty dollars is all it takes to meet my self-united husband True Blood’s Joe Manganiello at a WPXI event hosted at Dave and Busters, benefiting the Steel Valley Salvation Army.

I permit you to go and I also permit you to step off if you go.

(h/t Tara)

6. Have a great Thanksgiving!

1. WIMom
    November 18, 2011 3:59 pm

Happy Thanksgiving,Ginny. Thank goodness that the Steelers have a bye this week so we don’t miss another episode of TWRT

2. red pen mama
    November 18, 2011 4:05 pm

Have a happy Thanksgiving, Ginny.

I love that there’s a band called Moscow Mule. That’s my husband’s favorite mixed drink. Not that I’m going to brave Light Up Night tonight. But cool band name!

3. Chloe
    November 18, 2011 4:07 pm

Ricky Burgess is a Communications teacher! What a goof.

November 20, 2011 11:34 am

Cut Ricky a break. It’s literally impossible for an academic crossed with a politician to give a one-word answer on the first three tries.

5. Butcher's Dog
    November 20, 2011 3:44 pm

Pens just announced that Sid will be back in the lineup tomorrow night (Monday). If Ginny can really keep silent about that for a week it’ll show steely resolve beyond what us mere mortal Pens fans possess.

And much as people like to denigrate Marty Griffin (or so I’ve heard) Burgess didn’t answer the question. Too many politicians don’t answer the question. First rule of doing essay tests in my class was “Answer the question.” But then I only taught in a small-town high school and never ran for anything, let alone got elected.

6. rose
    November 20, 2011 4:22 pm

happy thanksgiving, ginny! i’m thankful for you. :)

7. MattDC
    November 21, 2011 1:56 pm

It looks like Burgess did answer the question, but it depends on what the meaning of “is” is. More importantly for Ricky, four of us on this string have now created evidentiary support for his libel damages claim — unless, of course, Ginny skillfully blocks out half our words like the KDKA cameraman did with the libelous flyer.