Fire

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Thanksgiving Hiatus. Schmanksgiving Schmiatus.

Sid came back and dear Lord, what in the hell was that?

Scoring on his first shot since January? What even? Who even does that?! Are we stuck in a Disney movie called Miracle 2? If so, can I play his girlfriend who stands by his side through the toughest of post-injury times even when he pushes me away, and then when he wins the Stanley Cup instead of hoisting the cup in the air, he skates to me and picks me up and skates around the ice and weeping people throw roses and then he trips over the roses and we fall to the ice and I say through my fat bloody lip, “We forgot about the flowers,” and …

If you don’t get that reference you need to leave immediately. I can’t even look at you.

Where were we?

When I heard Sid was coming back, I hoped for the best (Ten goals. Three assists. Fire shooting from his skates and his heart. Maybe at one point, a triple axle/triple toe combo.) but I honestly prepared myself for the worst. (He’s been out for almost a year.  He could trip over his own skates or a particularly aggressive chip in the ice. He might have to take oxygen between shifts. He might be slow or scared. Concussion shy. Maybe his concussion symptoms will suddenly flare up again and he’ll realize he can’t ever play hockey again and the entire city of Pittsburgh will fling itself from the roof of the Consol while UPMC and Highmark just stay up there trying to punch each other’s light outs.)

I needn’t have worried. He scored on his first shot. I replayed it at least 20 times, but you can never get back that elation of seeing it for the first time live.

Ours.

Suck it, haters.

P.S. Go read what my colleague at Pittsburgh Magazine Sean Conboy wrote about Sidney Crosby. Trust me. It’s a must read.

1. bluzdude
    November 22, 2011 1:50 pm

It was a Great Day for Hockey, and for Pittsburgh. The Kid’s still a beast.

2. Butcher's Dog
    November 22, 2011 2:03 pm

I believe I was the first to note that Ginny couldn’t stay on hiatus when Sid came back. Just sayin’.

3. Sheila
    November 22, 2011 2:07 pm

Love Ice Castles!!
    It was great to see – so happy for Sid that he is back & only hope he stays healthy. What a scary time it must have been for he & his family. Has to be the longest time Sid hasn’t played hockey since he started when he was 2 yrs old. He has fresh legs & more energy than any player in NHL – combine that with the most talent — should make for a great rest of the season.

4. Jim W.
    November 22, 2011 2:46 pm

Ice Castles? Are you kidding? How do YOU know that reference?

Amazing game.

5. Steve In Denver
    November 22, 2011 2:54 pm

Never been so excited about a November game before. 12 hours later I’m still facking pumped. Wooooo! What a beast. So happy for him, the city, and of course, myself.

6. Cassie
    November 22, 2011 3:19 pm

My daughter (the one who refers to herself as Crosby) almost peed herself when he first scored. After the second goal of his, she said, “Oh stop! This is too much!”

Four year olds.

7. B @ Six-Hundred Sq Ft & The City
    November 22, 2011 3:45 pm

Love it.

“He did skate with fire. He wasn’t scared. He wasn’t shy. He wasn’t slow. He was who he was and continues to be.

Ours.

Suck it, haters.”

Amen, sister!

8. Christina
    November 22, 2011 5:06 pm

Yes, amen sister. Put this morning a similar posting on my blog also including the link to Sean’s fantastic article and a youtube video of all 5 goals to watch all over again.

But you are right – nothing ever beats the first time watching live. I did not even realize that moment (and I know it is kinda pathetic), but when Sid got the puck and started flying towards the goal completely ignoring the existence of any defense guys, tears started running down my face and my scream when he scored woke up the whole house (2 am in my timezone – you are welcome).

5 minutes. It took him 5 minutes and one shot. I still have trouble to take this for real.
    And his play was not only perfect, successful, fast or whatever words you can find – it was simply BEAUTIFUL. Almost as beautiful as seeing the happiness and relieve in his face.

Welcome back Sid – we love you. Seriously.

9. Ale
    November 22, 2011 5:38 pm

That’s right, well said.

10. CrashJK
    November 22, 2011 10:17 pm

Life is Good…..Sidney Crosby is Better.

11. lovesnorthside
    November 23, 2011 7:41 am

omg — robbie benson!!!

12. NAM
    November 23, 2011 9:36 am

LOVE this post!! :)

13. MissChris
    November 23, 2011 10:13 am

Ice Castles! I’m busting out the VCR this weekend.

14. sleepgh
    November 29, 2011 8:21 am

Please don’t let this feeling end, it might not come again and I want to remember…