Random n’at

1. I bet you thought I was joking about my mother calling me and lecturing me after my CHS post.

My phone: RING RING, MOTHERF–

Me: Hello?

Mom: I JUST READ YOUR POST AND I AM VERY ANGRY AT YOU–

Me: Look at that! What in the world could that be?! Gotta go– [click]

Never underestimate the ability of Princess Bride quotes to get you out of sticky situations.

2. I hate the telephone. How soon until we can communicate solely through email?

3. Is it wrong that I chuckled when Occupy Pittsburgh actually issued a news release to say they are reorganizing their camp for better distribution of space?

Also, I had to Google “yurt” and now that I have and have seen them, I get the feeling Occupy Pittsburgh is going to be asked to leave shortly after they begin erecting them.

4. Another from the “Awesome Things People Say to News Cameras” file, is this from a 67-year-old home invasion victim to WTAE:

“Next time they come I’m gonna be waiting for them. I’m gonna buy me a shotgun and I’m gonna sleep with it under the covers.”

True story, adding “me” after a verb makes it badasser.

I’ma do me my hair.

I’ma get me a malitpoo.

See?

5. I watched Pittsburgh-filmed Unstoppable starring Denzel Washington last weekend — great movie — and gotta say it was fun watching Mike Clark play a news reporter in it.

6. I asked a few questions about it on twitter and I’ve discovered that no one on earth really knows the correct way to pronounce pecans or coupons.

Even Ken Rice indicated as much:

I say peh-cahns and coo-pons, but I was raised to say CUE-pons.

7. Best thing said to me last night at Bill Peduto’s Holiday Party was said by comedian Gab Bonesso: “Why do you do nice things for people who hate you?”

HAH!

Kill ’em with kindness, motherf–.

Nevermind.

8. If you want to give back this holiday season but aren’t sure if you can or how, I’ve got something for you. How about donating your air miles to Make A Wish’s Wishes in Flight program?! This helps offset the cost of air travel for fulfilling wishes for sick kids and their families. Check it out here! You can donate online or you mail in a form.

Easy peasy.

9. A Cincinnati Enquirer sports columnist unleashed on the Burgh in the inane ramblings of one who feels inferior. Not worth an angry comment on the post.

10. Now if you’ll excuse me, I’m going to go hide from my mother some more.

1. bluzdude
    December 2, 2011 1:21 pm

For what it’s worth, I’m with you on coo-pons and peh-cahns.

As for the Enquirer columnist, we may have a heart attack on bread, and they may not have been able to decide whether they were having chili or spaghetti. But we have fish sandwiches the size of your head, pretty much all over the place. Plus, y’know, rings n’at. FTW!

2. addiful
    December 2, 2011 1:46 pm

There was a hilarious parody trailer of Unstoppable on SNL not so long ago, and it was actually written by a comic who is originally from Philly but who lived in Pgh for several years before moving to NYC. She is still fiercely loyal to Pgh (it’s the same person who wrote “Steeler Ladies”). Check it out!

3. mfj
    December 2, 2011 2:30 pm

In Michigan they say coop-ins.

4. MN
    December 2, 2011 2:38 pm

It’s “coo-pons” and “pe-kahns”. A “pee-can” is something you have on a boat!

5. Angrierfish
    December 2, 2011 2:42 pm

Clearly, They’re “Pee-Kahns” and “Coo-pahns”. You’re welcome, America!

6. Ginny's MOM
    December 2, 2011 3:52 pm

YOU CAN RUN, BUT YOU CAN’T HIDE……… MOM

7. Butcher's Dog
    December 2, 2011 4:08 pm

Ginny appears to be squarely in Mom’s crosshairs. That’s what happens, I guess. Wouldn’t we all like to be a fly on the wall when that confrontation got face-to-face? I would.

8. Burghthing
    December 2, 2011 4:28 pm

Yeah, Christmas dinner’s gonna be real interesting. I’m going to buy me some popcorn n’at.

9. Ex-Pat Pittsburgh Girl
    December 2, 2011 4:36 pm

1. Just get it over with and talk to your Mom. You can’t outlast her. It will be less painful. She won’t forget, even if you think she has, and she’ll spring the conversation on you when you least expect it.

2. The ringer on my landline and cell phones are always on silent.

3. No, it’s not wrong.

6. Coo-pons and peh-cawns.

7. The Cincy Enquirer guy is an idiot. Also, I must put this out there because it’s always bothered me. I was born and raised in Pittsburgh and spent most of my time on the North Side. I cannot recall a single friend, family member or complete stranger ever calling Pittsburgh “Picksburgh” and we’re talking about some hard core yinzer accents. Is this just me?

10. jdp
    December 2, 2011 4:40 pm

CUEpons people CUEpons

I’ve been to Cincinnati. I don’t know why OH is so nice but OH cities have to suck so bad. I’m guessing if one lives in Cincinnati that they’re not ‘all there’ to begin with so why worry what they think?

11. nycldenise
    December 2, 2011 4:41 pm

Ginny’s MOM FTW!

12. Mike Frazer
    December 2, 2011 5:32 pm

If I was from Cincy I would *never* brag about their “chili.” Doesn’t actually have to contain chilis to be called “chili”?

13. Heather
    December 2, 2011 7:00 pm

#4 – Video: “This is the kind of story that really frosts your cookies…”

I love it!

14. zarum
    December 3, 2011 10:00 am

Pittgirl on KDKA news this AM. They picked up your Pgh. Mag. column re gifts.

15. Sooska
    December 3, 2011 12:48 pm

WHY on earth is your mother angry at you? You basically just told the story of millions of hard-working Americans who have lost their middle-class lives since September 2008. You also asked those of us who have gone through that fire and come out humbled and fortunate to give till it hurts – a righteous sentiment.

COO-pons. because the word has a French derivation
    and they pronounce “cou” as COO, or “coup” as “COO.” There is no Q. SO disappointed in Ken Rice.

16. Ginny's MOM
    December 3, 2011 5:11 pm

Sooska, Not mad at Ginny, just wish she would have let us help her more. I was moved to tears when I read her post.

17. The Lord of Cheese
    December 5, 2011 9:35 am

This blog sucks and those “gifts” look like elementary school craft projects.

18. WIMom
    December 5, 2011 10:39 am

Hey, LoC, nobody is forcing you to read it. Lots and lots of people love Ginny and her blog. She brightens our day.

19. Butcher's Dog
    December 5, 2011 3:43 pm

@Lord of (Cut the) Cheese: go troll somewhere else, then. We like it here. When you can show you’re doing as much good as Ginny does, and doing it facing the same uphill fight she’s faced on several fronts, maybe we’ll listen to you whine and bitch. But don’t count on it.

20. Ginny's Dad
    December 5, 2011 4:47 pm

@ lord of the Cheese

I think you need the real Lord and the Christmas spirit. Merry Christmas!

21. Dean J
    December 6, 2011 12:02 pm

The yurt that was put up at Occupy Pittsburgh is 1″ foamboard insulation held together with tape; it’s not a permanent structure by any means, as a pocketknife easily deconstructs the whole thing.

22. MattDC
    December 7, 2011 2:47 pm

Hey, wasn’t “Lord of the Cheese” in that SNL skit about anonymous monosyllabic blog critics, living in their parents’ basement, who are forced to physically confront the targets of their moronic commentary? I want a front row seat for that one.