[mommyblogging]

My daughter just turned five and she is a tomboy.

She has no desire to wear pretty dresses or jewelry and she’s just as happy playing with boy toys as she is girl toys. She requested something called a dinosaur train for Christmas and has no patience for baby dolls, leaving them hidden in her closet where the only interaction they get from her is when she has to move them out of the way to get to Mister Potato Head.

I like this about her because I’m hoping it will hold off the boy-crazy until she’s well into her teens. However, I was pretty happy when she asked me the other day to play with some tiny animals that came with a toy my mother bought her for her birthday. Thinking the tiny elephant and tiny duck and tiny frog and tiny butterfly would talk about flowers and bunnies and rainbows and sliding at the park, I sat down as she handed me the frog and the elephant.

She instructed me to put the frog on the elephant’s back while she placed the duck on the butterfly’s back and then she said, “That’s your dragon and ninja and this is mine. We’re going to fly to fight the evil Lord Garmadon in his fortress. Let’s GO!”

Gotta stop letting her watch Lego cartoons with her brother.

1. Butcher's Dog
    December 14, 2011 2:26 pm

“…hold off the boy-crazy until…” Two words: Fat Chance. If the long spiral hasn’t begun before she enters seventh grade in any public school system on the planet, it will then. Or rides a school bus. Not all education takes place in the classroom.

2. Jen
    December 14, 2011 2:30 pm

Even my girly princess imagined a whole game involving swords and treasure maps and all of that one day. A welcome change from glitter and sparkles! :) We should get our girls together one day, the world might implode.

3. Mia
    December 14, 2011 3:36 pm

Well your daughter is obviously awesome. :D

4. Christa
    December 14, 2011 3:49 pm

Ahh, it warms the heart to read this. I was exactly like your little girl! And sorry to say the boy crazy was quite strong with me, even though I didn’t really start dating till I was 16. Good luck!

5. mairinpgh
    December 14, 2011 4:08 pm

yeah, my daughter also was awesome like this & I was so proud….and then it ended abruptly with 1st grade: after picking out her spiderman costume for Halloween, she then insisted on another “spidergirl” costume with a skirt for school. So that the girls wouldn’t make fun of her. Yep, “mean girls” start in 1st grade – be forwarned!

6. bluzdude
    December 14, 2011 4:49 pm

I think she was influenced by her mommy’s finger guns. [pew pew]

7. burgher-licious
    December 14, 2011 5:52 pm

I have four daughters and my youngest is a total tomboy – or as she phrased it “Mom, I am half-boy you know”.

8. Jim W.
    December 15, 2011 9:00 am

Have you ever heard that song, “When I was a Boy?” Reminded of that song. Funny story.

9. stellabella
    December 15, 2011 11:29 am

I also have four daughters, all super girlie girls. And I’m not. My #3, who is 4yrs old, told me in her sweetest voice ever, “Mommy, you need to start calling me Mrs. Beiber.” WHAT? I’ll take dragons and ninjas and Lego cartoons any day…lol.

10. Norm
    December 15, 2011 1:23 pm

She sounds like a future iTwixie girl. I suggest buying her a lab coat now and tell her to start playing CEO. Also I bet she is good at math and science.