Random n’at

(The Duttine Family)

1. If you wake up tomorrow and discover it is End of Days outside, with snow up to your roof and sled dogs the only viable means of transportation, here’s why:

You’re welcome.

2. A local mom recently lost her battle with cancer at the young age of 36, leaving behind a husband and two young sons, one who is just four and has been fighting cancer himself for two years.

I can’t even wrap my brain around this. It gets rejected. Too much suffering, hurt, pain.

The community is holding a fundraiser for the family of Julie Duttine set for December 18 during which alumni and students from St. Elizabeth School will do your Christmas wrapping for you in exchange for a donation to the Duttine family.

Details here.

(h/t Erin)

3.  In honor of his successful debut album Blue Slide Park, Pittsburgh’s own Mac Miller, 19-years-old, donated $50,000 to our local Make-A-Wish chapter.

Now THAT’S an Awesome Burgher.

4.  Todd Graham is leaving Pitt for Arizona. Wait. DIDN’T WE JUST GET THAT GUY?!

5. You gotta watch this PG video of a pet psychic “talking” to a dog in which she reveals the dog told her he loves people. I don’t even know what to think about it all.

But I do know this:

The dog, she said, told her he missed his bacon-flavored snacks.

WHAT DOG DOESN’T?! Hell, I miss bacon-flavored snacks.

Bacon. Mmmmm.

6. Found on Twitter, the supposed blog of a Pittsburgh employee who works for a lawyer named Richard Ricotta, who apparently is slightly disturbed.

Shit My Boss Prints Out.

I refuse to believe this is legit.

7. Here we go again. “Why Trading Sidney Crosby Might Make Sense in the Long Run.”

8. James Harrison had a very adult-like response when he learned about his suspension:

Twitter: Such a fantastic vessel for carrying the stupidity of celebrities straight to the little people.

1. Butcher's Dog
    December 14, 2011 2:34 pm

Not to go all English teacher here (yet again!) but people do not hoe “roads”. They hoe rows. Like rows of beans, rows of corn. I spent far too much of my youth engaged in those very activities. This mis-use appears in the Trade Sidney crap, in case you want to look at it in print. Just because people can’t speak/pronounce correctly doesn’t mean they can’t write correctly (see my previous screed on “than” and “then”).

Just tryin’ to make sure you all get value for the tax money you pour into public education.

2. Butcher's Dog
    December 14, 2011 2:39 pm

Just checked to see that Todd Graham says coaching at Arizona State is “a dream of ours”. Did any coach ever change jobs voluntarily (without being fired) to take a job that wasn’t a dream? I think some of them need to change what they eat before going to bed at night.

3. Donncha
    December 14, 2011 2:50 pm

Nollag ghlas, reilig mheith.

4. PA Girl in VA
    December 14, 2011 3:10 pm

If the lawyer thing were real, you’d easily be able to find a lawyer in PGH named Richard Ricotta. You can’t.

5. Ex-Pat Pittsburgh Girl
    December 14, 2011 3:21 pm

And you can’t find a Richard Ricotta who was ever licensed as an attorney in PA. Once you receive your license, you stay in the Disciplinary Board’s database forever. http://bit.ly/vhVpJG

6. Jess
    December 14, 2011 3:46 pm

The lawyer thing sounds very similar to the books, “Letters From a Nut”.

7. jdp
    December 14, 2011 6:43 pm

Ricky Ricotta

Maybe Dav Pilkey is having a breakdown.

8. Sue
    December 14, 2011 9:25 pm

So in response to number 1 about the warm, mild December we are having – Can I just say that I have told my husband a dozen times in the last week that the last time we had a warm December like this was the December before SNOWMAGEDDON happened in February. Remember that? Two weeks of snow days from school??!! This is not good!

9. Jim W.
    December 15, 2011 9:03 am

I sort of feel like the Graham thing was his way of saying, “Fine. . . I’ll show MYSELF out.”

10. Butcher's Dog
    December 15, 2011 9:28 am

Just plan on about three and a half months of winter around here. Later it starts, later it ends. I don’t think the weather gods are all, “We’ll make up in intensity what we missed out on in duration.” The intensity we get is just a bonus.

11. Butcher's Dog
    December 15, 2011 9:30 am

Also, whatever Donncha was drinking when s/he typed #3, I want a case for Christmas.

12. Donncha
    December 15, 2011 9:58 am

OK, Butcher’s Dog, you’re going to be drinking an Irish phrase book. It’s an old proverb that says “A green Christmas, a fat graveyard.” Has to do with microbes and viruses and ailments failing to go dormant during an unseasonably warm winter. Cheerful people, the Irish.

13. Lauren
    December 15, 2011 10:05 am

Boy, living in Arizona is feeling more and more like Pittsburgh by the day. Not only do we have similar weather lately, but we now have coaching castoffs from Pittsburgh area schools, with Rich Rod at U of A (which LOL at all the optimism about him) and now Graham at ASU. I at least want some Primanti’s or something if we’re getting Pittsburgh stuff :)

December 15, 2011 10:30 am

I still don’t understand why Ohio State didn’t hire Rodriguez. I mean, who knows more about how to make Michigan lose?

15. empirechick
    December 15, 2011 10:57 am

I’m not Irish, but as an allergy sufferer and non-fan of insects, I, too, dislike warm winters.

December 15, 2011 11:47 am

trade crosby, eh? begs this question: who would take him? all he does lately is suffer from concussion-like symptoms?

btw, I hate that term…either it’s a concusssion or it ain’t.

todd graham’s amazing. and, apparently, he has family in every city in which he’s ever coached. and, every coaching job is his dream job. to be so blessed….

17. Butcher's Dog
    December 15, 2011 12:56 pm

@Donncha: Thanks. Most of the Irish I know will drink about anything, so now no matter what I can say I’m paying homage to the phrase book.