The devil made him do it.

Remember when I said I thought I had 36,000 comments on my blog? I was off. By 30,000. Woy recovered all 66,000 comments. You guys are a chatty little bunch!

—————————————

James Harrison is appealing the one-game suspension he received for his helmet-to-helmet hit on Colt McCoy, concussing that dude right back to puberty.

Something I learned!

This is the first player suspension because of a tackle in 25 years, when Green Bay Packers defensive end Charles Martin was suspended for body slamming Chicago Bears quarterback Jim McMahon.

So I sought out the video and HOLY MOTHER OF SHIT!

YouTube Preview Image

James is a beast who breaks the rules, but at least he’s never done anything like that before.

That video is like a PSA for roid-rage.

Or devilism.

P.S. Maybe why the NFL is taking head hits seriously:

My memory’s pretty much gone. There are a lot of times when I walk into a room and forget why I walked in there. I’m going through some studies right now and I am going to do a brain scan. It’s unfortunate what the game does to you.” — Jim McMahon

1. Paul
    December 14, 2011 9:51 am

And that body slam was onto Astroturf!

By the way, what evil person thought it was a good idea to play football on Astroturf, which if you’ve never been on it is pretty much just a larger version of your grandmother’s thin, green, outdoor-carpeted back porch?

2. SpudMom
    December 14, 2011 10:00 am

In the thread last night, a commenter recommended a three article series on the NY Times about hockey Enforcer Derek Boogaard. I went and looked it up and read it last night. It was absolutely devastating to read and it’s clear that what happens to Enforcers on the ice is also happening on the football field.

I love hockey. I hate most other sports but I love hockey. After reading those articles, I want them to ban fighting on the ice and give these guys a chance to lead a normal life instead of damning them to constant injury, probably drug addiction, and eventual degenerative brain disease.

I know football was designed to be a rough and tumble game. They don’t wear all that padding for nothing. But there must be some kind of happy medium that doesn’t leave players permanently crippled after retirement. Do we, as a society, really need to watch people do this to each other for our personal entertainment? I don’t know what the answer is and as a person who doesn’t like football maybe I’m not the best person to comment. I just have a hard time cheering on that kind of damage anymore.

3. Mike S.
    December 14, 2011 10:39 am

I’m not defending the guy, but it was pretty clear that once he saw that the ball was intercepted, he felt that he could “block” McMahon from tackling the guy who intercepted the ball by picking McMahon off the ground and slamming him into the concrete (astroturf).

December 14, 2011 10:52 am

I don’t know what the answer is

Three words: Big, puffy helmets.

Charles Martin appeared to be trying to imitate Turkey Jones’ head-first neck plant of Terry Bradshaw:

And as for Jim McMahon forgetting what he came into the room for: Welcome to my world. And I never played football beyond the back yards in my neighborhood. It’s called GETTIN’ OLD, Jim! Admit it, you’re OLD! You’re only TWO years younger than I am, that’s OLD, dude!

Also, all those beers you drank at BYU might have something to do with it. Just sayin’.

5. Pingback: Steelers Six From Around The Web – December 14th – Ike Taylor Talks Deebo Edition | Steelers Depot

6. Niki
    December 14, 2011 11:25 am

Seems slightly malicious that he tackled the QB aprox. 2 hours after he released the ball and was just in the process of taking a leisurely stroll.

December 14, 2011 12:19 pm

@ mike s — how the hell was that a block? or, a “block”? at least pass around whatever it is that you’re smoking.

at the start of that game, charles martin displayed a towel that he had around his waist that listed the numbers of members of the bears’ offense that he was going to take a shot at getting that game. mcmahon’s was one of them.

on a side note — martin died at the age of 45 due to kidney failure…which is a possible side effect from anabolic steriods. so, there ya go.

8. Ex-Pat Pittsburgh Girl
    December 14, 2011 12:40 pm

@SpudMom – the NY Times series was tremendous. For a look at football, Sports Illustrated just ran a story looking back at the 1986 Bengals team to get a sense of the impacts the game had on the player. Equally enlightening. Here’s the link: http://bit.ly/vSle48

9. mamabear
    December 14, 2011 1:09 pm

I just read that NYT series about hockey enforcers too. I literally had a nightmare about my 3 year old son playing hockey that night after I read it. Heartbreaking story.

Unrelated, I find it funny that Mike Ditka was dressed like Saddam Hussein in that video….

10. jdp
    December 14, 2011 1:47 pm

Jim Mc was a wack job way before he took too many hits to the head. Not that they helped. Just sayin.

11. Mike S.
    December 14, 2011 2:03 pm

Unsatisfied.

Hence the quotes. I realize that there are those that aren’t going to understand sarcasm, and therefore I put the quotes around “block” in order to help those particular folks, but I guess I needed to spell it out further for certain individuals like yourself. When I said “block”, I realized that it obviously is not a block. My point being that the reason Martin waited so long to tackle McMahon was that as soon as the interception occurred, he probably thought it was somewhat more “OK” (again, notice the quotes that indicate sarcasm) to go all batsh*t crazy and do what he did. He is right to a very limited extent because after an interception the new offense has somewhat of a greater reign as to what they can and can’t do, but they obviously can’t do what happened in the video.

12. Butcher's Dog
    December 14, 2011 2:23 pm

I typed my “pad the outside of the helmet” comment before I read bucdaddy’s “big, puffy helmets” suggestion. Just sayin’, but also proof that aging minds run in the same channels. The same ones beer flows through.

13. Paul
    December 14, 2011 2:28 pm

In line with the “big, puffy helmets” comments, I was certain the Penguins/Crosby would’ve taken some of their cash and worked on some kind’ve super helmet for him for when he returned. I guess not.

14. geeves
    December 14, 2011 3:12 pm

Actually James Harrison has body slammed someone during a game

15. Ex-Pat Pittsburgh Girl
    December 14, 2011 3:36 pm

Unfortunately, the big, puffy helmets will also need some neck stabilizers. In many concussions, there’s not even a collision between the head and another object. The whiplash can be severe enough to bounce the brain around inside of your skull. Think shaken baby syndrome on an adult scale. Scary.

16. Sports Nut
    December 14, 2011 4:09 pm

Not accurate to say he is 1st player suspended due to a tackle in 25 years. Eric Smith (a safety for the NY Jets) was suspended one game in October 2008 for a helmet to helmet hit on (then) Arizona Cardinals wr Anquan Boldin. The hit fractured Boldin’s face.

17. Amanda
    December 15, 2011 10:34 am

I read the Times series on Derek Boogaard. Heartbreaking and recommended reading to all fans. I think players might be aware of the risks to hips, knees, shoulders, etc., but I doubt any of them realize the risks of chronic headaches, depression, addiction, memory loss, and personality change that come with repetative head trauma. Unfortunately, I don’t think changes in the games are going to happen until the fan decide that protecting players is more important than the fun of a violent game.

18. Chris L
    December 15, 2011 8:10 pm

I believe helmets are designed to deflect a blow (like a helmet to helmet hit) and so any pads outside the helmet will instead help the athlete absorb the blow, thereby potentially causing more harm. Short of putting flags around their waists football cannot be made a whole lot safer

19. Ex-Pat Pittsburgh Girl
    December 15, 2011 8:50 pm

One of the regular writers for ESPN.com (Gregg Easterbrook) did several articles over the past couple of years on some innovative helmet designs that only one or two pro players wear. I seem to recall that the design does a much better job of absorbing the hit, but that more players won’t use them (and the league won’t mandate them) because they “look funny”. A couple of high school athletic conferences out west are trying them out. Research time.

20. Ex-Pat Pittsburgh Girl
    December 15, 2011 8:54 pm

Partial success! http://es.pn/pz1MUZ

Scary to see that the helmet used by most NFL players is the lowest rated in terms of safety.

21. Alison
    December 19, 2011 2:45 pm

Uh, I’m 30 and aside from a minor concussion from a soccer header gone awry in high school, I am head injury-less. But I’ve been forgetting why I walked into rooms for years!