Pens Super Fan Freak Out

I’m sure many of you have seen this, but for those that haven’t, a mother and father played a little joke on their young son, telling him they were no longer cheering for his Pittsburgh Penguins.

Hell ensued:

YouTube Preview Image

The Pens better send that kid some gifts or something because that’s loyalty right there.

Also, if a tantrum is what it takes for gifts from the Pens …

[falls to the ground kicking and screaming]

December 15, 2011 10:20 am

Why not just tell him there’s no Santa Claus or Easter Bunny while you’re at it? Get it all over with at once.

December 15, 2011 10:20 am

Sorry, forgot:

SPOILER ALERT!

3. Moxie Bestos
    December 15, 2011 10:30 am

That was cruel and unusual of those parents. You don’t play that kind of a trick on a kid, and you don’t keep it going when you see how badly he reacts. And filming him for their own sport? Not cool.

December 15, 2011 11:41 am

the real crosby needs a helmet like that.

and, btw….lighten up, moxie.

5. Carol
    December 15, 2011 12:26 pm

@ Moxie:
    Absolutely agree, it was just plain mean and a betrayal of their child’s trust.

6. ScareHouse Scott
    December 15, 2011 12:33 pm

Looks like I found my new catchphrase for 2012 – “I’m GETTING AWAY from YOU GUYS!”

7. Butcher's Dog
    December 15, 2011 1:04 pm

Early Childhood Education, Lesson One: Your parents are jagoffs. You’ll probably be scarred enough to turn out the same way.

December 15, 2011 1:09 pm

Calvin: Dad, how do people make babies?
    Calvin’s dad: Most people just go to Sears, buy the kit and follow the assembly instructions.
    Calvin: I came from SEARS???
    Calvin’s dad: No, YOU were a blue light special at K Mart. Almost as good, and a lot cheaper.
    Calvin: AAUUGHHH!
    Calvin’s mom: Dear, what are telling Calvin now?

Watterson: I imagine it must be a great temptation to misuse one’s parental authority for private jokes.

9. Paul
    December 15, 2011 1:36 pm

I’m sick of the internet meme of doing something mean to your kids (see Jimmy Kimmel) then posting it to the web for everybody to laugh AT them. It seems degrading in my opinion. Mostly because these people are using people laughing at their kids for personal gain.

I don’t want a congressional hearing about it or anything, just not something I would do. If you want to laugh at your kids, do it in the privacy of your own home like the rest of us :)

10. Cassie
    December 15, 2011 1:43 pm

The Jimmy Kimmel thing was kind of funny, but what bothered me about it was how badly the kids reacted. If we EVER said something mean about a gift we got – even if it was a half eaten sandwich or a rotten banana, we would have hell to pay. We always were told to smile and say thanks. Even if it was for underwear.

That said, to the parent who gave his kid the pink shirt – touche.

December 15, 2011 1:49 pm

c’mon, people….

I thought that stuff like this was the reason to even HAVE kids.

12. bluzdude
    December 15, 2011 1:49 pm

@Bucdaddy,
    Those were always my favorite Calvin and Hobbes strips… the ones where the Dad made up goofy stuff to answer Calvin’s questions. I vowed that one day when I had kids, I would mess with them the same way.

Hmmm… Perhaps that’s the reason why I don’t have any kids. I have to settle for messing with my nephews.

13. Magus Patris
    December 15, 2011 2:01 pm

I was waiting for the kid to chuck the helmet right into the flat screen. Now THAT would have been hilarious!

14. Ex-Pat Pittsburgh Girl
    December 15, 2011 2:15 pm

There’s messing with kids and then there’s being mean and cruel. The filming, at least for me, crosses slightly over the line into mean. But honestly, this is nothing compared to some of the things my Dad and uncles used to pull with my sisters and cousins when we were growing up, and we didn’t dream of responding the way these kids do.

15. Paul
    December 15, 2011 2:18 pm

Ex-Pat Pittsburgh Girl – what bothers me most about it all, and maybe it shouldn’t, is the posting of the video to YouTube for all the world to laugh at the kids.

16. Stacie
    December 15, 2011 2:51 pm

is it just me or did they recording that thru a keyhole??

17. TK
    December 15, 2011 2:58 pm

First there were the parents who shot a video of their kid (a Vikings fan) who cried about how he hated the Green Bay Packers.

Then there were the parents who shot a video and who encouraged their kid to rant and cry about how he hated Tom Brady.

Then the Christmas present videos on Kimmel.

Now this.

They had a song years ago about “what’s the matter with kids today”. Can we update it to “what the hell is wrong with parents today”?

18. Ex-Pat Pittsburgh Girl
    December 15, 2011 3:18 pm

I’m with you on that @Paul. There’s a big difference between taping it to show at the family get together and doing so for the whole world to see. Blame ABC and America’s Funniest Videos for starting the latter.

19. Jake
    December 15, 2011 6:34 pm

Good God almighty – who would even want to do that to a child? The shrieking alone couldn’t possibly be worth the few quick chuckles. Glah.

20. Jann
    December 15, 2011 8:47 pm

Just plain mean.

21. Annoyed
    December 16, 2011 11:50 am

Your screaming, crying, spoiled brat kid isn’t funny at all. I’m more annoyed that a parent would encourage this behavior let alone video tape it and share it with the world [sigh].