After

For those of you who haven’t seen it yet or who no longer live around these parts, Paul K. sent over these pictures of the Igloo with its aluminum steel roofing sheets stripped off:

I understand why it’s coming down, but it’s still a sad sight.

1. G-Man
    December 19, 2011 2:16 pm

I, too, understand why this has to happen. But it breaks my heart to see this. I worked my way through college at Carnegie-Mellon doing various jobs (usher, ticket taker, maintenance worker) at the Arena from 1967-1971 and seeing this demolition is a little bit like watching the house I grew up in being torn down. I feel a sense of loss.

2. burgher-licious
    December 19, 2011 3:15 pm

I bought 2 ornaments made from the aluminum roofing from Wendell August as part of ABC’s Made in America Story – so it may be sad, but I will always have a little part of the civic arena:)

3. Butcher's Dog
    December 19, 2011 3:22 pm

If it helps, some 81K of those ornaments have been sold. That means:
    1.Skilled workers at Wendell August Forge got some much needed overtime working to produce those items. They sold 30K the very first day.
    2. The Penguins Foundation, which takes a share of the profits, has a lot more money now. They, among other things, sponsor baseline testing for concussions for all youth hockey players in the area and are in the lead in raising awareness of concussions and related issues.
    3. Parts of the arena will hang on Christmas trees, what?, 50 years from now. 60? More? It lives longer this way than if it were standing empty having people squabble about how best to use it.
    Just my two cents worth.

December 19, 2011 3:41 pm

:-(

5. bluzdude
    December 19, 2011 3:50 pm

Seeing the old hulk stripped down like that is like seeing your grandpa with his trousers down.

Undignified.

But contemplating the points that Butcher’s Dog makes does help.

December 19, 2011 9:08 pm

Good riddance.

I was thinking all that aluminum would be worth a pretty penny at metal salvage prices, but the ornaments idea is much better.

7. Ginny's Dad
    December 19, 2011 10:03 pm

I could be wrong but I believe the outer panels used for the ornaments are made of stainless steel and not aluminum.

Also this website gives a detailed description of the planning and building process for the Arena.

8. Steelman
    December 19, 2011 10:14 pm

@ Ginny’s Dad

You might be right because this article indicates the ornaments are made of steel and not aluminum.

9. Cassie
    December 19, 2011 10:42 pm

@Butcher’s Dog

Spot on.

10. Jayne
    December 19, 2011 10:44 pm

Got to take some pictures of the arena last week when my employer sponsored a meet and greet with the Pens players. They were still taking the skin off then on the Consol side. We will also own a piece of the roof shortly. It was sad to watch them take the roof off.

11. Moxie Bestos
    December 20, 2011 10:02 am

Hearing talk of skin being removed to show red underneath reminds me of the medical charts showing a person’s muscles underneath their skin. Cool and freaky at the same time, whatever the outside skin is made of.

12. PA Girl in VA
    December 20, 2011 11:47 am

To quote Wendell August Forge: “A collection of ornaments that have been created by repurposing iconic stainless steel roof of the Civic Arena.”

Can’t wait to get mine! A unique gift AND supports a great cause!

13. Butcher's Dog
    December 20, 2011 12:56 pm

@Ginny’s Dad: see, I knew it was steel, too. But I figured you’re in much better position to correct Ginny than I am. You’ve probably had more practice at it, too.

14. Ex-Pat Pittsburgh Girl
    December 20, 2011 1:02 pm

This is cool. As for the ornaments, as people have stated, they’re steel. I believe one of the articles also noted that they’re too heavy for hanging on pretty much ay tree except for maybe one of those tacky aluminum ones.

15. Ginny's Dad
    December 20, 2011 1:29 pm

@ Butcher’s Dog

Actually, Ginny would probably accept correction more readily from you than me. I have not always been too gracious in correcting but I am learning.

16. #2PghDad
    December 20, 2011 3:40 pm

The ‘Civic Arena’ has been reduced to the nipple of the Hill District.