Punchline made it.

Remember Ti Kanaval in 2010? Remember Punchline, the rock band that played that fundraiser, for free?

4. Punchline. I can’t even tell you how awesome they are. Every song was catchy and made me want to jump up and down in place. NOW I know why people do that when they go to punk concerts. You cannot help but jump up and down to the beat of the drum. Totally buying their CD now and I’m going to stand in my living room and jump until my kids are all, “Mom. You are so weird.”

They’re getting huge. Mac Miller huge on their way to Wiz Khalifa huge.

Currently sitting at #7 on the iTunes charts with their new album Nice To Meet You, which is the # 1 rock album:

And let me just state here that Jamie and Ali McMutrie (check out their new website!) told me and Jonathan Wander about Wiz Khalifa way before he was big.

Then they told us about Mac Miller before he was huge, hoping he could play a benefit for them because people in Haiti love Mac Miller and they have his posters up everywhere.

THEN they told us about Punchline WAY before they were huge, hoping to snag them to play Ti Kanaval, which they did.

The moral of this story is two-fold.

1. Pittsburgh has got it going on in the music business.

2. Jamie and Ali are geniuses. I’m going to go ask them what the next big act out of Pittsburgh is and then I’m going to go see about being that act’s manager, because CHA-CHING, baby.

Maybe they’ll surprise me and tell me my new air band Holy Mother of Thundersnow is the next big thing.

CHA-CHING, BABY!

1. inBrookline
    January 4, 2012 10:47 am

Do you remember when Punchline got drunk on the South Side and self righteously started mouthing off to some other band that happened to be playing a show that night?

Not exactly a great moment in the history of the city’s music scene.

2. Dane
    January 4, 2012 10:59 am

Remember when Punchline mouthed off to a “band” that openly degrades woman and glorifies drug use in their music? They were taking a stand for what’s right and wrong with popular music today. What a shame that someone would stand up and fight (although this time it was literally) for what they believe in.

3. Jim W.
    January 4, 2012 11:17 am

ooooohhh. . . comment fight!

*watches*

January 4, 2012 11:25 am

1. Pittsburgh has got it going on in the music business.

Especially if you can count Columbus/Wheeling/Morgantown in that sphere of influence.

I don’t usually shill, but this … this is a great power pop record, and as the punch line to one of my favorite jokes goes, “I’m telling everybody”:

5. jennviolet
    January 4, 2012 11:51 am

I remember seeing that PG article. Hopefully Grushecky’s son learned his lesson that night. Although the ensuing internet cat fight proves not. You can’t just go around like that talking smack on some other band. You’re just asking for a fight. Show some damn respect. Even if you don’t like their lyrics, they’re f*cking artists for sucks sake. Get over yourself Punchline.

At the top of my Pittsburgh band list: The Long Time Darlings. Check ’em out. They’ll rock your socks off.

6. Jen
    January 4, 2012 5:42 pm

{sigh}

punchline is not a new band. they didn’t just get together and start trying to make it “big.” i started listening to them in college. TEN YEARS AGO. and even at that time they weren’t new. i was late to the scene.

i hate when my favorite punk bands get recognized and become a “thing”…it makes our small, awesome punk shows full of friends you see at every concert that are actual legit fans turn in to a mob of posers that only know one song and scream at the band until they give in and play it just to get them to stop asking for the same song over and over and over and over again.

{kicks dirt, takes ball and goes home}

7. Meghann
    January 5, 2012 10:59 am

Any one else see Steve from Punchline on Mobbed last night?