Random n’at.

1. As I tweeted and mentioned in the post below, my newest band name is Holy Mother of Thundersnow.

I’ve got the air drums, so if you’re skilled at air guitar, air keyboarding, or lip synching, you can be in my band.

We’ll have groupies and they’ll be called Thundersnowbunnies.

Like the juggalos, only cuter.

2. Found on IR Steeler Baron Batch’s Twitter page:

I don’t care who you are, that’s just funny.

Also, as John Carman once said on Twitter, “I think she’s a Person of Walmart.”

3. I pinned this on my Pinterest page because it made me belly laugh:

Then I made this one because seriously, WTF HAPPENED TO KEN!?

Burgh Baby has a post up in which her daughter’s new Ken doll has EYELINER, lip gloss and manpris.

She draws the perfect Adam Lambert comparison.

4. Ryan Clark is out against Denver because if he plays HE COULD DIE.

DIE!

But he wants to play. Even though he could die.

DIE!

Men are foolish. This is why women live longer.

Amen.

5. Pittsburgh is in. Portland is out.

Suck it, Portland.

(h/t Bill Peduto and Rose on twitter)

6. Tonight on Fox, “Mobbed” premieres, with host Howie Mandel and featuring Punchline’s singer, who will be using a flash mob to reveal his feeling to a girl he hadn’t yet met in person.

7. This:

When McGuire used his Taser on Ginocchi, police said it had no effect because it struck a cellphone in his pocket.

Or, OR! He’s taser-resistant!

Still a thing.

8. And this:

Police have cited a man for disorderly conduct for allegedly chaining himself inside his car while parked outside a western Pennsylvania drug store and dressed as a woman.

When police arrived, the man told them he had restrained himself because he had come to buy his wife a drink at the store, but found it difficult to work up the courage to enter the store dressed as a woman.A police report says the suspect chained himself “to build himself up to going into the store dressed like a woman.”

I don’t know about you, but I always chain myself up when I’m trying to build up my courage.

“I gotta go get a root canal. Where are the chains?”

Oh, Fayette County, you win. Always.

9. Art Rooney Sr.’s great granddaughter is the next Megan Fox?

10. Finally, if you haven’t seen in yet, the new Hairway to Seven shirt:

Which is funny because the first album by my air band Holy Mother of Thundersnow is Airway to Heaven.

OMG, YOU GUYS! I just Googled “Hairway to Seven” and Google was sure I meant “Hairway to Steven” and check this out!

Hairway to Steven is the fourth full-length studio album by American punk band Butthole Surfers.

BUTTHOLE SURFERS.

BUTT. HOLE. SURFERS.

They win.

1. DG
    January 4, 2012 11:20 am

#10 – love it! Brett Keisel was wearing a T-shirt of himself during the pre-game for the San Franciso game. If anybody knows where to find it, I’d be grateful for a link. It was camoflage, with just the beard and eyes in black (to the best of my recollection).

2. Ms. Redd
    January 4, 2012 11:22 am

@2- you may laugh at the pic, but this is true. Twice, yes TWICE, in the past couple years, I was seated next guys on flights and they wore nylon jogging shorts. The first guy also had on a nylon wife beater tshirt. The second time was last month and for God’s sake, it is winter time! Surely, these guys have other clothes that they can choose from to wear. And both were pretty hairy and you know how close those seats are on regional jets. Just saying, really….

3. Butcher's Dog
    January 4, 2012 12:28 pm

Pittsburgh’s never gonna make it completely in the music business until they can come up with something better than Butthole Surfers. Deal with it.

@Ms. Redd: not to go all politically correct on everyone here, but please let’s do our best to expunge from the language “wife beater t-shirt” and any such reference. Like calling a tank top a “beater”. Sadly (says the retired English teacher) labels have power because what you call something is what it becomes for you. And there’s just no defense for domestic violence. Period. Never. I used to go postal on kids who used those terms either in class or milling around before a play rehearsal.

Steps off the soapbox. As you were.

Finally, I got around to seeing Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows yesterday. Should have been named Sherlock Holmes: Blowing Shit Up. And, yes, I need to get out more, or at least out earlier. Anyway, there’s a scene where Moriarty is feeding pigeons in a park and Sherlock talks about them being “flying urban vermin” or something of the like. I thought of Ginny in that moment.

4. jennviolet
    January 4, 2012 12:40 pm

The Butthole Surfers are from Texas NOT Pittsburgh. I think their only major “hit” was from 1996. Can’t recall the name of the song.

5. Virginia
    January 4, 2012 12:42 pm

Yes, Butcher. I never said Butthole Surfers were from Pittsburgh. Just that I accidentally stumbled on their name while hunting down a Pittsburgh shirt.

If they had been from Pittsburgh, I’da been all over that shit YEARS ago. ;)

6. rickh
    January 4, 2012 1:02 pm

“Pepper” was the Butthole Surfers song played to death in ’96. They’ve been around a really long time. I remember in the 80’s watching a friends dog scoot around on his be-hind to scratch that itch, and we’d call it butthole surfing.

@butchersdog, doesn’t going “postal” qualify as an unfair label? A few unfortunate incidents and now it’s part of the everyday language to describe going apeshit at the workplace.

7. Pensgirl
    January 4, 2012 1:07 pm

I saw that WaPo list and it made me groan. 1. I have always liked that Pgh is underrated as a city (though that isn’t always in our best interest economically). 2. If we are in, that just means we will at some point go back out, and a lot of ‘Burghers tend to be rather thin-skinned about how outsiders view us. I am bracing myself now for the inevitable wailing.

Yup, Butthole Surfers made it for a bit in the 90s. Their most recognizable song, which was in heavy rotation on the X back then, is “Pepper”: I don’t mind the sun sometimes; the images it shows/I can taste you on my lips and smell you in my clothes/Cinnamon and sugary, and softly spoken lies/You never know just how to look through other people’s eyes.

8. Monty
    January 4, 2012 1:20 pm

rickh is right.

And I might add that “going apeshit” is also an unfair label. A few kids get hit with chimp poop at the zoo and now everyone uses to describe getting out their pimp hand.

(someone else keep this going please).

9. Dan (Not Onorato)
    January 4, 2012 1:26 pm

Great…now I have that song in my head…thanks

10. bluzdude
    January 4, 2012 1:33 pm

I take issue with the name Butthole Surfers, which can be used to impugn the reputation of surf-loving citizens everywh… eh, never mind. The only surfers I know robbed banks with Patrick Swayze in Point Break. Screw’em.

11. bluzdude
    January 4, 2012 1:34 pm

Oh, and I will totally rock your air band. In fact, I have an air-demo out right now.

12. DanW
    January 4, 2012 2:14 pm

Regarding the Butthole Surfers, I lived in Texas when Pepper was receiving a lot of radio play. Some stations wouldn’t allow the DJs to say “Butthole,” so they would call them the “BH Surfers.”

13. JennyMoon
    January 4, 2012 2:36 pm

Using pimp hand is definitely an unfair label. A few pimps slap their hoes and now everyone uses it when they gonna king hit. (I’m not good at these games!)

14. mfj
    January 4, 2012 2:46 pm

#8. As an army veteran, I risked my life so that people can enjoy the freedom to cross-dress and chain themselves to things. In fact, some of my friends who are navy veterans do that on a pretty regular basis.

15. Butcher's Dog
    January 4, 2012 3:01 pm

See…hoes. That’s where my awareness actually started… Boyz in the Hood. One exchange: A Girl: “Bitches and hoes. Bitches and hoes. Why you always callin’ us bitches and hoes?” A Guy: “Cause that’s what you is.” And rickh was right about my use of “going postal” and now he’s started a nice game for a cold afternoon. Soooo…@JennyMoon. King hit? Now we’re picking on those few royals throughout history who may have been a bit testy at times with either the queen or the hired help? Now I’m pissed! (Feel free to pick up on urination thread now).

@Virginia: I meant “something to top” Butthole Surfers, not that they were a Pittsburgh group too lame to make a splash. I know…English teachers should be more specific in their writing.

16. LaReina
    January 4, 2012 3:26 pm

Who goes to Walgreen’s at almost midnight to buy drinks anyway? Maybe while he was there he should have bought some testosterone.

17. Moxie Bestos
    January 4, 2012 8:08 pm

I do a mean air tambourine if you’re interested.

What the heck year was that Ken on the right released?

January 5, 2012 11:39 am

Heh, me too. Took me right out of the movie for about five seconds.

19. rjq
    January 5, 2012 1:23 pm

Heh. Went to school with the Punchline crew. They were all ignorant jerks except Steve. WTG Steve.

20. Butcher's Dog
    January 5, 2012 2:08 pm

@bucdaddy: Having time to reflect, this means Our Virginia and Sherlock Holmes are kindred spirits. The Best. Blogger. Ever. and the smartest, most observant detective in all of literary history…one mind. Ginny, tell your sisters to go ahead and cut off a big ol’ slab of THAT to chew on for a while.

In the words of Gene Collier (another of my literary heros), “No need to thank me.”