Vanished.

Sorry for the late posting today, unless you’re reading this tomorrow, then WOO! early post for you!

Busy day paying bills at the restaurant (SUPER FUN!), followed by a visit to the dentist (SUPER FUN!), where I got novocaine, bad news about a cracked root, and more novocaine and now I’m a hot drooling mess (SUPER SEXY FUN TIME!), and all of this while spending the entire day with an infected eye that is oozy and swollen (SUPER SEXY HAPPY FUN TIME!).

So all that sexy fun time meant no time for blogging.

But here we are and can we please talk about Jim Krenn?

Jim Krenn! Pulled from the DVE morning show last month without warning. And now the official word came down last week that Jim is gone for good. What remains to be seen is what his future at DVE and Clear Channel is. His agent says this was not what Jim wanted and that he was surprised when it happened and he very much wants to be on the air.

Morning show hosts elicit such varying degrees of love and hate in people. Put ten people in a conference room and go “Jim and/or Randy. Discuss.” and in the space of 30 minutes, those people will go from pleasantly disagreeing with one another to violently MMA’ing the shit out of each other.

To me, personally? Jim and Randy are both entertaining and are wonderful people who have been good and decent and caring to me and I hate that Jim was silenced without tribute.

I don’t know the story, so I can’t speak to the reasons behind his departure. I just get so tired of radio shows going all Eraser on personalities that we have come to know and love. They never get a chance to say a proper goodbye. They never get the kudos they deserve for the work they put into entertaining listeners and building an audience.  Every trace of their existence is deleted. Their face gone from everything. Their name, that which we no longer speak of. Clear Channel IS the neuralyzer.

I’m not in radio, so I’m sure there are reasons for this that I’m unaware of, but it just strikes me as so cold and unfair in light of all the money these hosts make for their employers over the years.

Would it be breaking all the laws of local radio if they gave personalities a chance to say goodbye, especially the established and loved personalities? Or are they afraid Jimmy would be all, “THESE EFFERS FIRED ME AND I’M GOING TO KILL ALL THE THINGS! ALSO, F#%K! HAH! I SAID F#%K ON THE AIR! F#%K YOU! F#%K YOU! You’re okay. F#%K YOU! LATER, MOTHERF#%KERS!”

Man, that would be AWESOME.

This isn’t goodbye to Jimmy. This is “see you someplace real soon.”

P. S. DVE has a job opening for a new morning show host.

We’re looking for someone to join the ‘DVE Morning Show, bringing the funny, talking sports and entertaining Pittsburgh in their own unique way. We need someone who can interact with other players on the morning show, has great writing skills, is a team player, loves the Internet, can create great content, be quick on their feet, musically inclined, have exceptional prep/planning/strategic skills and Pittsburgh sports knowledge.

I bet you six million dollars Lukey applies using his DJ name Hizzoner Master Lil Lukey Ray Ray and his sidekick,  Dread Lord Y to the Zee.

[throws signs]

1. ErinPatricia
    January 6, 2012 6:06 pm

@MissChris

Quiiiinnnn and Banana! Quiiiiinnnnn and Banana! In the morning, in the morning, Beee 94 Eff Emmm!

2. bluzdude
    January 6, 2012 6:46 pm

bucdaddy,
    I never listened to those crappy kiddie songs. I went straight to Wooly Bully and Spirit in the Sky.

3. Ex-Pat Pittsburgh Girl
    January 6, 2012 8:35 pm

@Carbolic – I do know who Paul Shannon is, but only because he was a family friend of my grandparents. Adventure Time was a bit before my time.

4. Ex-Pat Pittsburgh Girl
    January 6, 2012 8:39 pm

Also, my mom didn’t let us watch tv much beyond QED and bedtime was 8 during the school year and 9:30 During the summer.

5. Pa-Pop
    January 6, 2012 8:54 pm

Names I haven’t seen (or maybe overlooked) in this thread: Jack Bogut, Art Pallan, Joe Tucker, Trish Beatty, Joel Zell, Jim Carnegie, Jack Wheeler, Perry Marshall, Roy Fox, Mike Levine, Bill Steinbach, Clark Race, Jim Horn. Woof…hand me another mushroom.

6. Stephen
    January 6, 2012 9:23 pm

Is this the post where we comment about old radio celebrities that we miss, or the post where we comment about retail shops and restaurants that went out of business that we miss? I’ve lost track.

7. Carbolic
    January 6, 2012 9:41 pm

Stephen, how many Pittsburghers does it take to screw in a light bulb?

Two. One to screw in the bulb, the other to reminisce about the old bulb.

8. Sam's Dog
    January 6, 2012 9:56 pm

Speaking about back in the day, anyone remember “Little Jimmy Roach” on ‘DVE in the evenings, before Jimmy and Steve in the morning? I usually had on WYDD, though. I agree the current ‘DVE morning show has become stale, but I’m praying Billy Gardell will still be on, he’s a good talent with his head screwed on right, IMHO.

9. Katie
    January 6, 2012 10:55 pm

Ginny, you’ve brought me out of lurking. My husband is crushed upon hearing this news. Can you mobilize a proper goodbye for Jimmy at your restaurant? Please and thank you!

10. Butcher's Dog
    January 7, 2012 8:04 am

@Stephen: this one’s the media people we miss. A previous one dealt with Hills, etc. Sometimes you can’t tell the players without a scorecard.

@bucdaddy: thanks for the trip down memory lane. I’m thinking the lack of Prince clips, though, may have something to do with the lack of “records” of old broadcasts. I remember back last summer Ginny talking about trying (mostly in vain) to find video of Roberto Clemente playing outfield. Pa-Pop, you brought up some memories, too. Thanks!

Damn! Some of us are old, eh?

January 7, 2012 11:24 am

Pa-Pop,

When I stayed at my Nanny’s house, she would let me stay up and listen to “Party Line,” with Ed and Wendy King. I called in once or twice, with some stupid 10-year-old’s question, I’m sure.

B-Doggie,

I used to have (and may still have, somewhere) a vinyl LP of highlights from the 1971 World Series, with occasional actual game clips by Prince, otherwise with Prince narrating (there might have been some Nellie King on there too).

… Well, I just checked where I thought it would be and it’s not there, but I did find “Aerobic Shape-Up With Joanie Greggains.”

Anyway, if I ever find it I’ll get it off to you. You sound like a guy who still has a turntable.

I, too, would pay cash money for a half-hour CD of Clemente making catches and throws and Maz turning two, because I doubt fans today would believe what they were seeing. I do have the DVD of Game 7 of the ’60 Series, but unfortunately all Clemente does (besides beat out a crucial infield hit) is kick a couple balls in the outfield. Maz has a highlight on there, but it doesn’t have anything to do with his glove.

January 7, 2012 11:26 am

Hell, I go back to Jim Quinn (“Your leeeeeeeeeeeeader”) on groovy ‘QV.

13. Butcher's Dog
    January 7, 2012 6:33 pm

I have the ’60 World Series highlights (all 7 games), but it’s 12 hours north of where I am now. I’ll check and get back to yinz in April.

Don’t have a turntable, but I know where I can get one. You’ll have that; I’m not so much an audiophile as some are.

14. Sam's Dog
    January 8, 2012 9:09 pm

@ # 62 Bucdsddy, well played.

15. bigslacker
    January 9, 2012 8:37 pm

@Everyone….Focus yunz guys.

Krenn. Jimmy Krenn.

Paul Shannon, Jim Quinn, Bob Prince….whatever. This one’s about Jim.

16. Joey Porter's Pit Bulls
    January 9, 2012 8:48 pm

Hey, that job description sounds a lot like Jimmy Krenn, only not as good.

Clear Channel is evil.

17. talent network, inc.
    January 10, 2012 10:10 am

From talent network, inc.- We want to let you know that Jimmy reads all of the postings and messages on the facebook pages and is very thankful for the support. Jimmy will post a message to you all on his Official Facebook “Jim Krenn Fan Page” TODAY.

18. Donna
    January 10, 2012 5:24 pm

For those of you saying that Jimmy was only working part-time and showing up late please remember that Jimmy was filming Raw for WDVE. If anything, he was probably working more. I was at an event where he was filming and he put in A LOT of time. That doesn’t include time to develop the concept and edit the video.

This is about Clear Channel and money, not Jimmy. If you go to the Clear Channel Facebook page there are numerous rants from unhappy listeners across the country. Clear Channel is doing the same thing to a number of DJ’s from various stations. After 24 years and a morning show that has consistently been number one he certainly deserved better.

19. Anthony
    January 15, 2012 10:25 am

Stephen and Steel. I don’t understand why you have to stoop to a personal attack on an entertainer. Krenn was removed from a show that I used to listen to everyday. How ever and when ever he got to work I don’t care. He got there and he made me laugh. I like many others want him back…weather on DVE or not. And Stephen this sounds like a personal attack, I have read this phoning it in on other sites and I don’t even get what you are saying. You don’t even sound like a fan to me. Why care about his schedule as long as he comes in and does his job.