Hoge with a D.

Here’s my husband’s new Merril Hoge jersey he purchased on eBay for the price of dirt cheap.

My husband was about to put this jersey on to wear to church this Sunday where he was going to pray for the destruction of Tim Tebow and he had a light bulb go on and he was all, “ESPERA UNO MOMENTOOOO” which I think means “Chingada madre, I got ripped off.”

So I hunted around, and would you look at this “official site” of the Pittsburgh Steelers selling “Cheap Merril Hodge” jerseys?

I’m about to shock your pants off. The site is registered to a company in China.

I bet Cordel Stuart jerseys sold like wildfire ten years ago.

1. Aileen
    January 10, 2012 5:57 pm

Actually, the only thing that shocks me is that your husband didn’t buy the Jeff Reed jersey – if for nothing more than to see your reaction when he wore it.

January 10, 2012 6:22 pm

I took a couple years of high school Spanish and all I really rememeber are the dirty words (first thing we taught ourselves, of course).

Young lady, you should have to suck on soap like Ralphie in “A Christmas Story.”

3. Dan (Not Onorato)
    January 11, 2012 8:35 am

I would love to see how bad they butcher a Chris Fuamatu-Ma’afala jersey if they cant get Merrill’s jersey correct.

4. Butcher's Dog
    January 11, 2012 8:58 am

I’ll bet those Limas Sweed jerseys are just flyin’ off the shelves, too.

If it’s really not the “official site”, then the lawyers should get on the stick damn quick. If it is, then the Steelers have some tall explaining to do. The league should have something to say about this as well. Trademarks and such are why the legit stuff costs so damn much.

5. Scott
    January 11, 2012 9:22 am

My pastor would never tolerate a jersey in church. Really?

6. Jill M
    January 11, 2012 9:25 am

We ordered a Barcelona “football” jersey last Christmas for my son. It came with the “Pedro” name, and number”7″ which any self-respecting Barca fan would know is David Villa’s number. Pedro’s number is “17”. After a few cryptic emails, I sent it back – took a bit, but they sent it with the right number. (yes, from China also)…

7. Sue
    January 11, 2012 10:16 am

You should’ve heard Merril this morning on DVE after Randy told him about this….very funny….

8. bluzdude
    January 11, 2012 10:16 am

The NFL and the government have been trying to shut down these Chinese knockoff sites for some time now, but they keep popping back up under new names.

9. Virginia
    January 11, 2012 10:28 am

Scott, my church is casual. The worship leader wore a Polamalu jersey this week.

10. PA Girl in VA
    January 11, 2012 10:51 am

@Dan (Not Onorato): I am the only person in the WORLD who has a Fuamatu-Ma’afala jersey and I’m damn proud of it :) AND, his name IS spelled correctly.

11. AngryMongo
    January 11, 2012 10:57 am

But can they get a ‘He Hait Me’ one?

12. Pensgirl
    January 11, 2012 10:58 am

They get “Roethlisberger,” “Kemoeatu,” and “Maurkice” correct, but screw up “Hoge?” Erm…

But at least that’s not really the official site. For several years, and as recently as last season, the Real, Honest-To-Goodness, Actually-Official, Legal And Everything NHL store sold a Paul Coffey shersey with the mid-90s “pigeon” Penguins logo on it (Pensnation’s archive shows the shirt here). That logo wasn’t adopted until the season after Coffey was traded away from the team. o_O

13. Scott
    January 11, 2012 11:49 am

Virginia,

No worries, the fact that you’re there is what matters.

14. Michelle Smiles
    January 11, 2012 3:26 pm

I bought a dirt cheap Steelers sweatshirt down at the Strip the first year I lived in Pittsburgh. It wasn’t until 5 years later that my husband and I noticed why it was life so dirt cheap – it said we were in the NFC.

15. Stephen
    January 12, 2012 7:43 am

Man, I once say this Chad Johnson jersey, but they misspelled his last name “Ochocinco.” Crazy!

16. Ayee
    February 8, 2012 11:04 pm

The Polamalu lteetrs on the back of the jersey were not all the same size. This is very noticeable. The quality of the jersey is bad as well. This jersey is definitely a fake NFL jersey. Also I bought the replica and received the authentic, which I wouldn’t complain about had it been real. Maybe the lteetrs would have at least been of the same size on the replica.