57 Reasons to Live in Pittsburgh

It seems like ages ago that Yinzpiration’s Kate Stoltzfus contacted me and 56 other Burghers to ask us to give a reason to live in Pittsburgh.

I wrote back to her all, “Are you sure you want to include me because I live in a suburb and there will be people who will rip their own faces off in protest because I’m not a REAL ‘Burgher and then there will be all the flagging of the inappropriateness and whatnot.”

I emailed Kate several reasons:

Because life’s more fun with french fries on top. #57reasonsPGH

Because it’s the new Hollywood. #57reasonsPGH

Because we believe in the uniting power of the pierogi. #57reasonsPGH

Because Mister Rogers would want you to. #57reasonsPGH

She chose this one:

You can go read what the other 56 Burghers said, including Bill Peduto, Gab Bonesso, Kellee Maize, Julie Fine, The Great Butler Woycheck and more.

This one is definitely a winner:

And there’s a whole lot of church happening right here:

Amen, hallelujah, and testify.

January 18, 2012 11:26 am

That image of you, it confuses me. From the direction of your elbow and the tilt of your head, it appears to be taken from the back. But then … how do I put this … it looks … kinda … like your back has … um … boobies.

So are you, like, biboobular?

Cause that would be freakin’ awesome.

2. Cassie
    January 18, 2012 11:26 am

We’re not Detroit!

(Don’t stone me, watch the video.)

January 18, 2012 11:31 am

Also, if the headshots are any indication, I’d say the best thing about living in Pittsburgh is the beautiful women.

4. spoon
    January 18, 2012 11:39 am

@bucdaddy simmah dah nah

If anyone has been to @sorgatron’s studio you would know that he has a shrine built to Rick. I had no idea there were gold plated Sebak statues.

5. Queen Bee
    January 18, 2012 11:56 am

Did you know that the Big Mac was actually created in Uniontown? Yep, that’s right…Fayette County.

6. AngryMongo
    January 18, 2012 11:58 am

I was hoping that Lyndsay would be included. If there’s anyone that knows what’s going on in Pittsburgh that would make it a great place to live in, it would be her.

7. rickh
    January 18, 2012 12:14 pm

@ Cassie, thanks for the laugh.

8. Cassie
    January 18, 2012 12:39 pm

Hey, @rickh, I’m here to entertain :)

9. spoon
    January 18, 2012 1:10 pm

I did find it refreshing that there isn’t one sports reference on that list.

10. Aileen
    January 18, 2012 1:50 pm

When Dejan Kovacevic was the Pirates’ beat writer for Post-Gazette, he had add some gem at the end of his column “what makes Pittsburgh great.”

I can’t remember what number he was up to, but he listed some fascinating things, most of which I never knew about or had overlooked.

I know Dejan is at the Trib now, but he should contribute to this post.

11. YinzerInExile
    January 18, 2012 7:55 pm

#1 reason to live in Pittsburgh: because I am about to get fired from an admin aid position (with 2 masters degrees) because of someone else’s willful ignorance yet reading about why people love my city still manages to make me . . . Giddy.

/wahhhhhmbulance.

12. Kate Stoltzfus
    January 19, 2012 9:38 am

Thank you so much for contributing and for the shout-out. And yes, it has taken me about a year to get this wrapped up. So worth it… thanks again!

13. Emily
    January 19, 2012 2:10 pm

Queen Bee is absolutely right re: the Big Mac – you have Uniontown to thank for that.

14. bill
    January 21, 2012 3:33 am

Jay blew it. Pgh is responsible for the polio *vaccine*; there is no known cure.

Switch to our mobile site