Confession.

Confession time. I haven’t visited Fallingwater yet.

Does that make me a bad Burgher?

Maybe I need to add that to my 2012 Pittsburgh Resolutions, especially after watching this remarkable completely computer-generated recreation of the construction of Fallingwater, allowing you to watch how the Frank Lloyd Wright house was built by the water, piece by piece, and then fly through the inside of the house, all in under four minutes.

The video is a stunning masterpiece, just like Fallingwater itself, which I remind you that while it is so very modern looking, was built in 1935. 1935!

This makes me want to get the 800-piece Fallingwater Lego set, and then, you know, have my kid put it together for me because WHO HAS THAT KIND OF PATIENCE?!

(h/t Charles)

1. Christina
    January 19, 2012 3:59 pm

I will be in Pittsburgh the first week of April and we are definitely doing Fallingwater. You are absolutely invited to come with us. Seriously.

I also can strongly recommend the documentary about “Saving Fallingwater”. It is super interesting … and narrated by David Conrad ;)

2. Jen
    January 19, 2012 4:06 pm

Just went in October for the first time….it was AWESOME!

3. Pensgirl
    January 19, 2012 4:29 pm

But wait, there’s more! You can’t throw an acorn in the Laurel Highlands without hitting a FLW house. Fallingwater is undoubtedly the best, but they’re all worth seeing. The other sites are Kentuck Knob and Polymouth Park (which includes a FLW house moved stone-by-stone from Illinois, and a few other homes by like-minded architechts, including his protege).

4. Linda
    January 19, 2012 4:35 pm

I’m a burgher and I’ve never been. Its too far and too expensive.

5. Clair
    January 19, 2012 4:41 pm

I have never been either. We have discussed, but it is a tad pricey…eh, maybe it would be something for just the hubby and I to do on a visit back home.

6. Robin
    January 19, 2012 4:48 pm

I’ve been there in the Fall twice and I’d love to see it in the winter. Expensive? not really. Truly a must see at least once.

7. Queen Bee
    January 19, 2012 5:21 pm

Yes…you really should go at least one time in your life! And when you get there…take a tour with my dad. Now that he is retired, he volunteers his time there as a docent.

8. Lisa
    January 19, 2012 5:24 pm

I remember it being too pricey 20 years ago! We drove through the property but I refused to pay to get out of my car to walk around “the grounds”. It’s a beautiful piece of property, but not that beautiful.

9. Mary
    January 19, 2012 7:05 pm

After reading “Loving Frank” I’m convinced Wright was the Charlie Sheen of his day. It was based on real life events.

10. LucyLou
    January 19, 2012 7:47 pm

It’s breathtaking in the fall when the leaves have changed color. It’s a MUST…and definitely worth every penny for a guided tour. The guides are so well-versed and there are so many interesting facets to that house. I remember taking my sister and her friends who were visiting from out of town. After the tour we couldn’t stop looking for cantilevers everywhere we went.

11. Johnaz6312
    January 19, 2012 8:03 pm

I’ve been to Falling Water.Its stupid and boring. save your money and stay home!!

12. annietiques
    January 19, 2012 8:46 pm

Ginny, Ginny, Ginny………..you must go, it is a magnificent house. Just imagine yourself living there……spending the weekend. There is a spot just perfect for an afternoon nap!! Let me know where you think it is…

Expensive??? Are you kidding me…….worth every penny!!!

13. Ian
    January 19, 2012 9:11 pm

It is a really cool house. I’d live there in a heartbeat. You really should check it out.

14. Lisa
    January 19, 2012 9:36 pm

I have not gone either…except into the parking lot to turn around. We had every intention of going…until we saw the VERY hefty price tag. Was not in the mood to drop more money than a tank of gas that day.
    Be prepared.
    We will go one day….I know it is worth it..

15. JenB
    January 19, 2012 9:57 pm

I’ve visited twice, and Kentuck Knob once. It is interesting if you like architecture and local history (the tour info about the Kaufmann family was interesting).

It costs so much because it is expensive to maintain, and because it underwent a major restoration in 2002. Although Wright was a great architect he was not an engineer, and apparently didn’t listen to the engineer who told him it didn’t have enough steel reinforcement in the beams. Wright insisted on having his way, but he was wrong and so major repairs were needed in 2002 to keep the whole thing from falling into the creek.

16. Kristen
    January 19, 2012 10:32 pm

I have never been there, but I’ve always been fascinated by the architecture. It’s a place I always thought would be fascinating to live in.

17. Jayne
    January 20, 2012 1:38 am

My nephew learned about it from his art teacher so we did a ground tour one day. I haven’t been there in over 20 years. We went back down in the fall and lucked out because of cancellations to get a house tour and for an eleven year old he was thrilled and asked our tour guide a lot of questions. It was worth it to see his reaction. And after touring FW, there’s always a worthwhile trip just over the hill to Ohiopyle, especially if you love to take pictures like I do.

January 20, 2012 1:38 am

$22? Pass.

Now if Ginny had an open house with all the sisters and all the spouses and mom and dad and the pets there to pose with for photos and such for $22?

Be there yesterday.

Also, a pet peeve: Why do they price the ticket at $20 with a $2 service charge? Why not just say it’s $22? You’re not fooling anybody into thinking it’s cheaper that way … wait, this is in Fayette County, isn’t it?

Never mind.

19. Carbolic
    January 20, 2012 7:28 am

Been there, many times. I’ve always known it’s a big deal, and pivotal to Wright’s comeback (in his late 60s, no less), but never more so than on our first visit to Taliesin West in Scottsdale, which was Wright’s winter retreat and is still the home of Wright’s school. The tourguide asked the group if anyone had ever been to Fallingwater, when we said we had, he treated us with a reverence usually reserved for the twelve astronauts who’ve walked on the moon.

But here’s the real history of the building:

20. emstef23
    January 20, 2012 9:57 am

umm….grew up 20 mins away and have never been…want to go this summer…wanna come with me??

21. bluzdude
    January 20, 2012 10:01 am

I think bucdaddy is onto something. You know the way the Penguins are having raffles for Pens “experiences” to benefit the MLF? Ginny could do the same thing, whenever she can get enough sisters to show up at the same time.

22. Scott
    January 20, 2012 10:07 am

It is a must see. All of you locals who say it is too far and too expensive….really?

Get it done.

23. Butcher's Dog
    January 20, 2012 10:18 am

Does PAT run a route by there? Sorry, couldn’t resist.

I’d even be willing to let bucdaddy take $1 from every admission to the Ginny tour he proposes. Intellectual property deserves some payment.

24. Ex-Pat Pittsburgh Girl
    January 20, 2012 10:24 am

I, sad to say, have never been there either. Adding it to my list.

25. hello haha narf
    January 20, 2012 11:16 am

i got britt a free tour when she was here visiting. want me to be your pr person and make some magic?

26. hello haha narf
    January 20, 2012 11:16 am

p.s i gifted my ex with the extended behind the scenes tour and it was phenomenal. we both fucking loved it.

January 20, 2012 11:39 am

Nah, thanks, I’ll hold out for Ginny’s house. Watching them watch the Steelers, I might buy TWO tickets for that.

28. rjq
    January 20, 2012 12:03 pm

If you’re going, plan a whole day. Go to Kentuck Knob, go to Ohiopyle, on the way back stop at one of the many overlooks, shop at Country Charm, have a meal at the Stone House, ride through Nemacolin. Make it a camping weekend at Benner’s or Tub Run and take the kids to the Yough Lake. There’s a beach, boating, picnicing. Wait until October and visit Confluence for the Pumpkin Festival and stop at Sudor’s for ice-cream. Go to the Anchor In for a good meal.

Fayette and Somerset Counties aren’t just full of hillbillies.

29. rjq
    January 20, 2012 12:15 pm

that video is inceible!

30. Jayne
    January 20, 2012 8:10 pm

rjq, not only those places you mentioned, but the Springs and Hidden Valley are also near enough, not mention one of our favorite places to visit just to go kart, Caddyshack.

31. Janelle
    January 22, 2012 3:34 pm

I live about 20-30 minutes away and never went until a few summers ago with a friend who also had never been there. We both somehow missed school field trips and things to it. Our tour guide asked where we were from & said, “Oh, you’ve probably been here lots of times,” & we both responded with a very angsty “No.”

It’s a gorgeous place, though. My dream house.

32. LisaB
    January 22, 2012 11:13 pm

$22 is cheap for a tour of that masterpiece. It is definitely worth the short drive (gorgeous in the spring when the mountain laurel bloom, and of course in the fall when the leaves turn). Go to Kentuck Knob and Polymath Park as well. There are a lot of great places to visit up in the Laurel Highlands.

33. John Franco
    January 23, 2012 1:07 pm

It is absolutely worth the money. Go twice… once in the fall when the leaves change and again in the winter if you can find a day when they’re open.

34. Amy
    January 23, 2012 8:44 pm

I recommend it to everyone! $22 certainly is a great price compared what is to get into some of his other houses. FLW was an amazing architect and a very interesting person.