Random n’at

1. I just read all of my Post-Gazettes from last Wednesday to yesterday, so this post is going to be BIZZONKERS!

You’ve been warned.

2. Yesterday at church I learned about Mephibosheth and I tell you this so you understand that Mephibosheth would make a kickass Amish rock band name. First single — “I don’t need no electricity, ’cause baby you light my fire.”

3. Bizzonkers is the new cray-cray.

[throws signs]

4. This past weekend, Joe Paterno died on Twitter and then he died in real life 18 hours later.

It’s true — I will never ever ever understand what it’s like to be a Penn Stater, and I’ll never understand that kind of devotion to a football coach, and I’ll never understand why Sandusky wasn’t stopped a decade sooner, but I understand loss, so I’ll just say my condolences to those who love him.

5. Geno is beast. Beast. Sexy beast. He gets hotter with every goal he scores and every game he saves and if he wins three more games for us I am going to go all [BEWBS] like never before and nickname him Sexgoal.

Also, Mikey and BigBob found this sweet shirt:

It is score.

6.Well, it is official. Jimmy Krenn is out at DVE and Scott Paulsen is back in a partial fashion.

Hopefully this leads to exciting things for Jim.

7. Snow, ice, rain, sun, warmth, snot-freezing cold. We’ve had it all in the space of three days and this Zits cartoon really got it right.

Next time a storm is rolling in, I dare Demetrius Ivory or Scott Harbaugh to be all, “Well, prepare to get a giant painful wedgie courtesy of Mother Nature this weekend.”

8. I love trivia. Trivial Pursuit is kinda my bitch and I used to love playing trivia at Bud Murphy’s in Connellsville. If you love trivia, put a team of co-workers together and have your company enroll you in the Greater Pittsburgh Literacy Council Trivia Bowl!

Show your smarts for a good cause!

9. A PAT driver left his seat at the wheel and assaulted a rider for apparently no reason while the bus was in motion, lied about it, got busted by surveillance video, and has remained on the job since that January 8 incident,  while the Port Authority plans a hearing to determine if disciplinary action is warranted.

Hey, one of you go punch one of your customer’s lights out, get it on video, lie about it and let me know if you still have your job in two weeks. KTHXBAI.

10. February 10 and 11 is the second annual Chachi Plays for Kids marathon during which Anthony “Chachi” Walker will play video games at the Toonseum for 24 straight hours to benefit the Toonseum and the Father Ryan Arts Center.  Chachi picks a new charity each year and raised money for Make Room for Kids last year. This year I’m honored Anthony asked me to take the first slot at 7:00 p.m. on February 10 for a rematch of Mario Kart.

If Trivial Pursuit is my bitch, Mario Kart is my super-bitch sisterwife.  Chachi is going to be spending an hour slipping on my banana peels. That’s not a euphemism.

You can donate here!

11. Mayor Lukey’s Tim Tebow jersey, autographed by Mayor Lukey — NOT TIM TEBOW, sold for $1,400 on eBay.

I have a suspicion the Dread Lord Zober won it and is either using it as a Lukey voodoo doll all STAB DIE STAB, or is holding it to his face every chance he gets to breathe in the sweet sweet smell of his hizzoner master. Either or.

12. Finally, the Pittsburgh Google office was named one of the 15 coolest offices in technology by Business Insider. I had toured Google’s old site, which was mind blowing (HELLO, FREAKING DESSERT FREAKING BAR FREAKING), so I need to go right now and bug some Google peeps about a tour of this new site.

I hope they still have the FREAKING DESSERT FREAKING BAR FREAKING.

(h/t James, who pointed out that they missed the fact that the catwalk pays homage to the Smithfield Street Bridge.)

1. Tina Fey
    January 23, 2012 2:34 pm

Gingersnap, I love the new look. And it’s about time you made some money off of this sucker! How many years have I, your wiser, intelligenter, prettier sister (not to be confused with the foolish, ugly ones — they know who they are) been telling you to put ads on this thing? Love it!

2. bluzdude
    January 23, 2012 2:56 pm

I just love it when the family calls you “Gingersnap.”

3. Julie
    January 23, 2012 2:57 pm

As much as I will miss Jim Krenn, his humor wasn’t evolving and honestly, I can only handle so many boob and fart jokes. However, when I heard Mr. Paulsen on this morning I thought I was in a time machine, and I am so excited that he is back on the air! And to pair him up with Randy is just awesome to me! I love both of them immensely and Bill Crawford is a hoot. I am really looking forward to my morning drives now, and I’m thinking of getting the I Heart Radio app so I can finish listening to the show!

4. hello haha narf
    January 23, 2012 3:08 pm

i like what you wrote about paterno. well said.

5. facie
    January 23, 2012 4:00 pm

Love the redesign. You should make money from your blog. Honestly, I can’t believe you never did it before.

Love the Geno shirt as well. Go, Pens!

And thanks for the Paterno sentiment. Many people don’t get it, but it is heartening to those of us who do when others can accept what we are feeling and not trash the man just after he died.

6. G-Man
    January 23, 2012 5:36 pm

About JoPa’s premature death annoucements on Twitter: Death isn’t funny but this Tweet was. Gerard Mulligan (retired comedy writer for Letterman) Tweeted late Saturday night that JoPa’s condition had been “upgraded from dead to serious.” I had to laugh in spite of myself.

7. Kevin
    January 23, 2012 5:55 pm

Ginny, therein is the problem. You said devotion to a football coach . That was his vocation, but he did so much more than that yet people dwell on one monumental error , an error that he no doubt would like to correct but was not deemed anything close to criminal. Make any bad decisions in your life Ginny? Me too. Curley, Schultz, Corbett, The board of trustees were not publicy lynched for three months like Joe was for an employee that left ten years ago. By the way, the prosecutors chose not to prosecute initially. Poor choices by may, yet you call this man a football coach? Are you just a blogger? Not being a wise guy, just making salient points. Please delve further into what this “football coach” did off the field. Surley you can separate a lifetime of fund raising, teaching, benfactoring,parenting ,being the father figure many never had, leading “STUDENT athletes, etc vs. the Sandusky matter.It is the sandusky matter even though people want to call it something else. After all, there are many that could have done more, yet the most public name is the one that was lynched. I’m not excusing what he did not do, but to be so blind, and you are an intelligent woman as are your readers, to lose sight of the rest. Well, that is looking at life with blinders on Ginny. Love your blog, read it every day, but I must admit I think you are very short sighted here. Ask some of the Pittsburgh guys who played for Joe what they think of him other than as a coach. How about Franco?

• David
      January 25, 2012 12:23 pm

Kevin, I’m glad you came on to comment, and now I don’t have to. But well, here I go…

Saying Paterno is a ‘football’ coach is like saying Lemieux played hockey, or Bill Gates made computers. Funny that someone who can so cherish Pittsburgh sports personal can’t understand ‘that kind of devotion to a football coach”

He took a farm school, and made it a superpower in education. Penn State is tied with Stanford for graduation rates of college football athletes in the 2011 Top 25. (http://ideas.time.com/2011/12/07/paternos-revenge-penn-state-football-is-no-1-in-academic-bowl/) BTW you don’t want to know where Pitt is on that list.

He donated milllions to the school…oh what’s the point.

8. cmd_45
    January 23, 2012 5:57 pm

I live in the heart of Penn State country. People around here are heartbroken. I have never understood the mania about the whole thing. I have mixed feelings about this whole sad affair. I still believe Joe should have done more. But I also believe he was a genuine, caring man who helped several generations of young people. I feel bad that this mistake, egregious though it was, sullied his legacy.

January 23, 2012 6:14 pm

8. I love trivia. Trivial Pursuit is kinda my bitch

I was (am) a 4-time Jeopardy! champion.

BOW BEFORE ME and I will let you in line ahead of the concubines.

• Cassie
      January 23, 2012 8:43 pm

What?! Really? That’s so cool!

• bucdaddy
        January 24, 2012 11:27 am

Truth. See here (WARNING! Reveals bucdaddy’s super secret identity):

The bad news is, I was one win from owning two Camaros. :(

The good news is, I was one win from probably having to play Brad Rutter in the tournament and getting whoop-assed in front of 20 million people. :)

• empirechick
          January 24, 2012 12:35 pm

Damn, bucdaddy, that’s impressive! Although from your stats it appears Final Jeopardy is your weakness. Perhaps there is hope for the rest of us afterall…

• Butcher's Dog
      January 23, 2012 9:43 pm

Back in the day I ran Trivial Pursuit. Owned that baby. And none of yinz jagz even want to start with me on the Game of Shakespeare. Just sayin’.

10. Ex-Pat Pittsburgh Girl
    January 23, 2012 6:38 pm

Liking the new design a lot!

11. Ginny's Dad
    January 24, 2012 6:09 am

If Tina Fey lived here, we might kick some butt in Trivial pursuit. As you know, she is the “Queen of Meaningless Knowledge”.

• Tina Fey
      January 24, 2012 8:59 am

Thanks, Dad. I do kind of rock at useless knowledge that will never serve any purpose but in a game of Trivial Pursuit. Or if I were ever being held captive and my captors would only release me based upon my knowledge of trivial crap, I’d totally quiz myself right out of there. I’m grateful my talents are finally being recognized.

12. TripleC
    January 24, 2012 10:45 am

The most heartbreaking thing about Joe and what has transpired over the past few months is that he is the ONLY one that has come out and said “In hindsight I wish I would have done more.” Unfortunately for his legacy he was the only one that was man enough to come out and say that. A true shame that all the good he has done over the past 6 decades is being forgotten.

Sally Jenkins from the Washington Post who interviewed Joe recently summed up how a lot of people feel about this…..

“Acquaintance molesters are expert at burying themselves in communities and becoming deeply trusted and gaining access to children. The more critical question to me is, how did Sandusky pass muster with state child services (Department of Public Welfare investigators in 1998 and later) and local high schools, etc? Paterno is just one of hundreds of people who failed to see that there might be a child molester in their midst. To focus on Paterno is to lose sight of the larger issue of how to protect kids from these creeps. There is a larger dynamic here than just Paterno, and trying to fix blame solely on him doesn’t seem like the most useful exercise. The main thing is to understand what happened and how, if Sandusky is guilty.”

13. AngryMongo
    January 24, 2012 10:50 am

Face it. You just played at Bud’s because you thought it would be easier. :)

Some of us Fayette Nam folks from Conn-ah-sville are pretty damn smart for country folk.

My wife still can’t reconcile the fact that I came from there.

14. Jen McCarthy
    January 25, 2012 11:59 pm

I am still very sad over the firing of Jim Krenn from DVE. I started listening out listening to
    Paulsen & Krenn in high school and never thought anyone could take Scott’s place, but Randy did. Scott retired – but Jimmy has always been there! I will have a hard time adjusting my morning routine. I like Scott and Bill, but I do not like Clear Channel; so for now, I’m boycotting and it still really seems like a back-stabbing move, even though I’m sure they probably talked with Jim about it. Obviously the, “Going in a different direction” line was just a bunch of BS. Anyway, had to vent – similar to many Pittsburghers, I have some issues with change – especially when they are done for no real apparent reason.

Ginny, I hope you get the Feb.15th interview with Jim Krenn when he is free to speak and go out in public again!