Random n’at

1.  We’re going to be kicking off the next phase of Make Room for Kids fundraising in the next week or so, so if you get paid soon, could you maybe set aside five dollars to donate? More if you have it. I’ll give you all the details next week, but for now I can tell you that this is the most ambitious phase yet, helping more sick kids than ever and helping the sickest kids too.

I’m hopeful we can sort of circle the wagons around our city’s sick kids and together raise the needed funds to make this happen for them.

You will be rewarded. Don’t I always reward you?

2. Well, that’s ONE way to spell it, Root Sports captioner:

3.  If you’re on Facebook, and WHO ISN’T?!, then you can do your part to help the North Hills Community Outreach win $10,000 by getting the Generosity Footprints application and earning footprints, simply by checking in or by doing and logging your volunteer work! You can also win a prize yourself if you earn the most footprints! NCHO is one of three charities in the running to win, but the ONLY Pittsburgh charity. So let’s do what Pittsburgh does and help a neighbor out!

More here!

4.  Readers Jason and Paul both sent me this link and I must warn you that you might die and go to heaven just reading about NUTELLA-COATED BACON!

CAN WE GET A PARADE FOR NUTELLA-COATED BACON!??!

I pinned that shit, as we classy Pinterest bitches like to say.

5. Vacationers! Now you can get to Orlando from the Arnold Palmer Airport via Spirit Airlines! Now I just need them to offer a direct flight to Cancun and I am score.

6.  93.7′s John Phillips doesn’t think Sidney Crosby will ever play professional hockey again and doesn’t think the Pens will make it past the first round of playoffs IF they even make the playoffs.

That’s a whole lot of doom in one blog post.

7. If you haven’t followed KDKA’s Susan Koeppen’s story, you really must read about the circumstances surrounding her collapse from a heart condition, the people that saved her, and her complete recovery. Her heart was stopped and/or short circuiting for six minutes.

Six minutes!

And she’s back at work.

8. I tweeted this, but I wanted to make sure you saw it. BABY HEDGEHOG SAYS WEEEEEEEE!

Who knew you could die from Cute?

1. Kristen
    January 25, 2012 11:24 am

Oh. Em. Gee. I need a baby hedgehog!!

2. Suz
    January 25, 2012 1:41 pm

Sid will be fine, sooner rather than later. He will play professional hockey again. The Pens will make the playoffs. This I know for sure.

• Butcher's Dog
      January 25, 2012 2:10 pm

Count me in your corner, Suz. Please save me a seat for when the “Sid’s Coming Back” bandwagon starts to fill up.

3. Laura
    January 25, 2012 2:35 pm

Pitszburgh! It’s Polish like my last name. Szafranski! Captioner has created a colloquialism.

4. Cassie
    January 25, 2012 3:17 pm

I hope Sid comes back, but not until he’s good and healed. He’s so young, I’d hate for the rest of his life to be ruined just for a sport.

In other news, the Pens are good. Bylsma is a smart coach and the players are clicking. I mean, can we say Geno and Neil?! On fire!

• Lauren
      January 25, 2012 3:39 pm

I don’t pay much attention to Pittsburgh radio, but I wonder if John Phillips even knew Pittsburgh had a hockey team prior to a few years ago. When I lived there, the vast majority of these people were perturbed that football offseason was disturbed by hockey play-offs, so excuse me if I say this guy doesn’t have a clue what the fuck he is talking about and probably is only putting this garbage out there to get hits and in the hope that hockey fades into the background so more time can be devoted to who the Steelers’ third string right guard is going to be. Sid will come back when he is ready and articles like that are only perpetuating naysayers.

• Cassie
        January 25, 2012 7:57 pm

And that’s church!

• John Phillips
        January 28, 2012 6:40 am

Lauren,

Not paying attention to Pittsburgh radio is your 1st mistake. And I can tell you that I was going to hockey games back in the 80′s when you had zero clue as to what the Penguins were. Like most yinzers, you only caught on when Mario Lemieux was starting to grab peoples attention and like many, jumped on the crowded bandwagon only to hop off when he retired, Jagr left for Washington and the team was all but packed to go to Kansas City.

Hockey has always been and will always be the 2nd sport in this town. 25 years ago, it was 3rd behind the Pirates (If you can believe that) and if for some reason they caught fire, would push the Pens back to where they were in the original pecking order of Pittsburgh sports.

As for my original point, I do have a bit of a clue as to what I’m talking about, as it is my job to look into matters of this nature. What narrow minded, small brained jabber heads like yourself tend to do is ignore what’s best in a situation like this and selfishly say…’yeah he has no idea what he’s talking about. Sid’s going to be just fine.” Really? What medical expertise are you relying on to determine this? The facts are head injuries are a total crapshoot. None of the so called ‘experts’ have any idea what’s ailing Sid. What is truly in his best interest is not playing again. But as we all know, the selfish, narrow view of a yinzer is not to think of others, but to think only of what satisfies themselves.

The Kid is hurt and he’s hurt real bad. He’s better off not playing and getting on with the rest of his life before he gets (maybe) back on the ice only to suffer a catastrophic blow to his noggin, leaving him a vegetable the rest of his life.

Look at Boston’s Marc Savard or St. Louis’s David Perron, both of whom began the year as question marks due to nagging concussion issues. Kieth Primeau, Marc Savard, Steve Moore, Dean Chynoweth, Eric Lindros…the list is growing and won’t stop here.

Face the music Penguins fans, Sid’s career is all but over. If, IF he plays again, it won’t take long for one hit to end what could have been a great career. That is why he should stop playing now and count his blessings, as many of you so called Pens fans should. Stop putting your selfish needs in front of the mans health. There are thousands of players that would kill to have the career he did.

• empirechick
          January 28, 2012 11:57 am

“narrow minded, small brained jabber heads like yourself”

Whatever reasonable point you may have made after this was completely lost. Yet another reason not to listen to theFan.

• John Phillips
            January 28, 2012 2:17 pm

Does that include being called a ‘douche bag’ by one of you? Or is that ok because she is one of ‘you’ on the board?

• empirechick
              January 28, 2012 4:44 pm

Your initial points on the Idle Thoughts blog were obviously intended to be controversial, since you declared (without any backup) that Sid will not return and the Pens would not make the playoffs (even though they had won 6 straight at the time of your post).

I understand that part of being in sports talk is drumming up some amount of hate (no controversy = no ratings). I also tend to avoid name calling because it’s just not nice, so I didn’t put any stock in MN’s comment either. But if I had an educated point to make (seeing as how it’s your job to know and opine on sports), I would allow my educated point to speak for itself.

But I’m just an accountant and one of ‘us’ on the board, so what do I know?

• John Phillips
                January 28, 2012 5:27 pm

First off, I have been writing since last year about Sid and his injury and I have been very clear about how I felt about him and his return to hockey. All you would need to do is search out the articles I’ve written or ‘blogged’ about since March of 2011. I have made my opinon very clear regarding Sid. Just because you are reading it for the 1st time does not mean I am trying to encite a riot from listners regarding my opinion that offers no ‘backup’ as to why I feel this way.

Just look at the recent rash of injuries/concussions being suffered in the NHL. Look at the careers of players like Eric Lindros and some others who had their identity taken from them due to the neurlogical dammage suffered from playing a violent, physical sport.

Even the experts who treat injuries of this nature can’t put a finger on the dammage he has suffered. He has been skating the past week and that’s great. But what about phyiscal contact? When is that one hit going to take him out for good? Don’t think NHL teams are going to just let him skate around and do what he does best IF he gets back on the ice. He will suffer a big hit at some point. What dammage it does remains to be seen.

Honestly, I want to see him play, but not in the state he is in and clearly the 11 months off didn’t due much to help him as Sid only played eight games before going down (after minor contact with a teammate no less) again. Why are fans so selfish regarding his return? Nobody is thinking of this man’s well being. That takes real courage…to support him getting better and that will take him walking away from the sport, most likely for good.

As for the six game winning streak, I was fully aware of it. The Pens are in 5th place of the East, just five points ahead of the 8th & 9th place teams. It doesn’t take much to make that up. Yes Geno and Neal are playing great. The Flower has been solid in net. I’m just saying it’s not out of the realm of possibility that they don’t make the playoffs.

The name calling was childish and I should know better than to stoop to somebody’s level & do the same. Give me a break, it was 6:30am when I first saw it, lol. That’s no excuse however.

And at least your not a lawyer. That I could not forgive.

• Lauren
          January 30, 2012 5:17 pm

Just saw this now… Awesome.

It’s hard for me to follow Pittsburgh radio, seeing as though I live in Arizona. The many iterations that B94 has taken on since I left tend to blend together, seeing as though none of them have lasted that long.

Also, kinda hard for me to follow hockey as a fetus. I am well aware that the Pirates were once popular and that the Penguins existed before Mario Lemieux was ever drafted. I worked for the team during the post Jagr years and despite the fact I have not lived in Pittsburgh for nearly 5 years I have been to at least one game every year since 1994, excluding the lockout year. You criticize me for assuming that you don’t care about hockey (which if you can’t see where the cynicism regarding the Steelers comes from, I can point you in that direction) yet make similar assertions about me knowing even less. I am not some Sidney Crosby fan girl.

My primary complaint with your comments about Sid are that they are your own opinion. Have you seen his medical chart? Have you sat down with Sid to talk about it with him? No? Then you know just about as much as anyone else what his future is. I in no way want him to rush back. As I said in my original post, he’ll be back when he’s ready, and that’s his choice. If he can no longer play because of health concerns, but he can still live a normal life away from hockey, I’ll support that too. I’ll be sad for him, but life goes on. What I take issue with is that people like you are writing articles like that precisely to rile people up. What good are you doing? Fear mongering? Really? You don’t need to thump your chest and say he’s never coming back. It’s almost like you take joy in it, hence my assertion that you probably don’t care. And don’t think there aren’t Steelers fans and sports writers alike that can’t wait for this hockey fad to be over so they can get back to what’s really “important.” If I lumped you into that group erroneously, my apologies, but don’t pile on when there’s no reason to do so other than your own opinion.

5. MN
    January 25, 2012 4:38 pm

I don’t even know who John Phillips is, but he sounds like an ignorant douche-bag who knows zilch about hockey!

January 26, 2012 11:00 am

who the Steelers’ third string right guard is going to be.

Speaking of which, can we give Chris Hoke a shout-out for his many years of backup service to the team? I’m sure it hurts to leave the game, but certainly from playing a demanding position in a demanding sport he has slowed down somewhat over the years.

And, as everyone knows, a pokey Hoke IS what it’s all about.

*ducks*

7. Pingback: Fight fight fight fight … | That's Church

8. yinzer
    January 30, 2012 3:32 pm

Dear John Phillips,
    Three things:
    Damage only has one m.
    Your opinion is your opinion, not fact, so ease up.
    Piss off, from hockey-loving, proud-to-be-yinzers everywhere who only want the best for Sid.
    Sincerely,
    Yinzer

9. JP.BangsFags
    January 30, 2012 3:41 pm

What a tremendous waste of time trying to turn your own views into what people should believe as fact.

Stop sucking your own dick long enough to realize you’re dumb.

Pittsburgh sports radio blows dogs for quarters.

Go Huff a fart.