A good kind of quirky

I love that National Geographic Travel, while naming us as one of their must-see world destinations in 2012, identified Pittsburgh as being a city with a “quirky sense of humor.”

Now, there’s a bad kind of quirky, i.e. obsessive eating of couch cushions, and there’s a good kind of quirky, i.e. taking 47 pictures of a doorknob. I think the names of the coffee concoctions at Nicholas Coffee and Tea Roasters in Market Square, where I like to order the pumpkin latte on cold winter days, can be classified as the good kind of quirky.

1. Suck it, Portland:

2. This is the drink my husband loves because it’s got four of his favorite things — white chocolate, hazelnut, fat, and sugar.

3. BRAINZ

4. Fat guy in a little coat.  Fat guy in a little coat.

5. Because whipped cream makes the fat go down easier …

6. And finally …

Because who hasn’t ever looked into a sweater-clad pug’s eyeballs and said, “Mmmm. JUICY!”

(This isn’t a paid ad. I just love this place and its personality!)

1. Jenny
    January 26, 2012 5:55 pm

Wow! I think I’m going to have to give this place a try…the chubby bunny sounds awesome.

2. Christina
    January 26, 2012 7:08 pm

Jucy Eyed Pug in a Sweater … WOW … cinnamon, caramel, vanilla? That sounds sooo good! Added to my “Places to go to” list.

3. Ex-Pat Pittsburgh Girl
    January 26, 2012 8:42 pm

I like to think that Pittsburgh became in when I moved back to Pennsylvania from Portland. Nicholas Coffee is awesome. I still have a soft spot for Portland. They have great beer (Pittsburgh’s getting there) and Voodoo Donuts. I really would call Portland quirky, though. They pride themselves on being just plain old weird.

4. Julie
    January 26, 2012 10:17 pm

what’s with all the portland hate? first 36 years of my life in pittsburgh, but the past 6 in portland. you should visit!

• Virginia
      January 26, 2012 10:29 pm

Hi! It’s not really Portland hate at all! A recent Washington Post article called Portland “out” and Pittsburgh “in” and since that time I just like to rub it in Portland’s nose every chance I get, but I honestly don’t have anything against the city! Just teasing is all.

• Ex-Pat Pittsburgh Girl
      January 27, 2012 10:55 am

No Portland hate here. I loved living in Portland, even during the 7-8 month rainy season. The summers are absolutely wonderful! They do, however pride themselves on the weirdness actor. Every visitor i had while i lived there left with a “Keep Portland Weird” bumper stickerthat was purchased a Powell’s. Quirky or weird isn’t necessarily a bad thing. A job brought me ther and a job brought me back to PA, much closer to my family in Pittsburgh.

• Ex-Pat Pittsburgh Girl
        January 27, 2012 10:56 am

That should be “factor” not actor. Although… Fantastic arts community in Portland, too!

5. bluzdude
    January 27, 2012 10:03 am

(This isn’t a paid ad. I just love this place and its personality!… And I have this new camera!)

6. Sara
    January 27, 2012 10:24 am

I love Nicholas, too. Never had any of the crazy concoctions but even just the flavored coffee is so good…I love the toasted almond cream coffee! Soooo good. Sort of reminds me of Prantl’s burnt almond torte.

7. Noelle
    January 27, 2012 3:32 pm

My husband, the massive coffee snob, refuses to drink anything but their Sumatra ground on level 3.

8. Rach
    January 30, 2012 12:53 pm

Love this place! Nicholas needs an Oakland location (with a drive thru!)