Fight fight fight fight …

If you missed it, 93.7’s The Fan’s John Phillips went a bit Mark Madden in the comments to this post, and stands by his statement that Crosby’s career is “all but over”:

As for my original point, I do have a bit of a clue as to what I’m talking about, as it is my job to look into matters of this nature.  What narrow minded, small brained jabber heads like yourself tend to do is ignore what’s best in a situation like this and selfishly say…’yeah he has no idea what he’s talking about.  Sid’s going to be just fine.”  Really?  What medical expertise are you relying on to determine this?  The facts are head injuries are a total crapshoot.  None of the so called ‘experts’ have any idea what’s ailing Sid.  What is truly in his best interest is not playing again.  But as we all know, the selfish, narrow view of a yinzer is not to think of others, but to think only of what satisfies themselves.

The Kid is hurt and he’s hurt real bad.  He’s better off not playing and getting on with the rest of his life before he gets (maybe) back on the ice only to suffer a catastrophic blow to his noggin, leaving him a vegetable the rest of his life.

Look at Boston’s Marc Savard or St. Louis’s David Perron, both of whom began the year as question marks due to nagging concussion issues.  Kieth Primeau, Marc Savard, Steve Moore, Dean Chynoweth, Eric Lindros…the list is growing and won’t stop here.

Face the music Penguins fans, Sid’s career is all but over.  If, IF he plays again, it won’t take long for one hit to end what could have been a great career.  That is why he should stop playing now and count his blessings, as many of you so called Pens fans should.  Stop putting your selfish needs in front of the mans health.  There are thousands of players that would kill to have the career he did.

First, I don’t understand what “all but over” means. Really.

Second, I don’t think there’s a Pens fan alive who hasn’t internally wondered if Sidney’s career is over. John has valid points, but is, in my opinion, being a bit ridiculous in stating with absolute authority that Sid’s career is “all but over.” We don’t want it to be. But we fret it might be. At least I do. And I’ve decided to extrapolate that to the Pens fan universe, so suck it.

Third, I haven’t heard much selfishness at all from Pens fans. I’ve heard “Get better, Sid, for as long as it takes” and I’ve heard, “Maybe we need to look at a future without Sid,” and I’ve heard, “Sidney Crosby is not the Pittsburgh Penguins,” and I’ve heard, “Maybe we shouldn’t extend a new contract to Sid,” but I haven’t heard, “SIDNEY BETTER COME BACK TO HOCKEY AND I DON’T CARE IF THAT MEANS HE HAS TO BE A VEGETABLE AT 30 YEARS OLD. I HAVE NEEDS, DAMN IT.”

Fourth, “Narrow minded, small-brained jabber heads” is the new “PittGirl Cult of Personality Rose-Colored Glasses.”

Fifth, while my husband probably does, because he listens to The Fan all the time, I have no idea who John Phillips is. Off to the Google! Update: Found him on Twitter!

P.S. News hit this weekend that Sid went to a specialist in California to get his neck looked at and there it was discovered that he also injured his neck at some point, but that the injury is fully healed. The reason Sid got his neck checked is because his friend TOM BRADY told him to.

Dear Tom Brady, one good deed for our Captain does not erase years and years of hate, you Ugg-wearing, chin-dimpled succubusian concubinical cheating asshole.

P.P.S. Football makes me a violent potty-mouth. Sorry, Dad.

1. Angrierfish
    January 30, 2012 9:56 am

Who’s John Phillips? And why is he so angry?

2. B
    January 30, 2012 10:43 am

OK… “Narrow-Minded Yinzers,” Let’s get down to the most important question at hand.

WHO IS JOHN PHILLIPS?

3. Paul
    January 30, 2012 10:50 am

So in one moment he’s scolding you because you he says you don’t know what you are talking about. However, in the next moment he can PREDICT THE FUTURE: ” If, IF he plays again, it won’t take long for one hit to end what could have been a great career.”

I have no idea what “all but over” means either. Sounds like he wants to state definitively that he thinks Sidney’s career is over but doesn’t want to put his neck out and do so.

4. Sara
    January 30, 2012 11:05 am

Agree that there are some valid points in his diatribe, but also agree that he pretty much lost my attention/respect when he started talking about the “selfish, narrow view of a yinzer”. Yeah, I don’t agree, but thanks for the insult before noon. This really makes me respect where you’re coming from, John Phillips.

January 30, 2012 11:12 am

My guess is if you’d listen to 15-20 minutes of sports yap radio, you’d hear a lot of what he’s talking about. There’s more intelligent discussion at kindergarten storytime.

• Julie
      January 30, 2012 3:54 pm

I have to agree with Bucdaddy. You’d be amazed what some people come up with whilst sitting in their recliners running our various sports teams…..LOL.

6. AngryMongo
    January 30, 2012 12:20 pm

Phillips, like Madden, and all other Sports Talk Radio personalities have a simple task. Get people to listen and get people to call in to the show. They will say and do anything to achieve that task. That’s revenue. That’s ratings. That’s business.

Unless they talk to someone like Tags or Borque-y or other players, they don’t know their asses from a tin cup. In fact, Josh Miller is the only I would call ‘reputable’ on that station, from a player status aspect. The only one on 93.7 who knows a little about concussions is John Siebel because he recently had one. Even still, he plays the talk radio game just like they all do.

7. TripleC
    January 30, 2012 12:30 pm

John Phillips? Never heard of him, and I assume most people fall into that category.

Listen, it’s simple, the media nowadays approaches every news story with the goal of trying to make a “splash” with a headline grabbing article. This Phillips character is attempting to do the same.

Oh, and Mr-nobody-knows-who-you-are, please try to be a little professional.

8. Christina
    January 30, 2012 12:54 pm

I do not care who this guy is and what he says, but I do care a lot about the kid and proudly wear my C on Twitter until he returns or retires and maybe beyond (either way).

When I heard the story about the broken neck this weekend, I my thoughts rushed liked this:
    – CLUSTERFUCK (sorry – bad hockey news make me stabby)
    – POOR SID – that sounds painful and really dangerous (I mean … BROKEN NECK)
    – How could that be overlooked?
    – Wasn’t it even overlooked, but much more leaked out only now?
    – What does it mean for Sid, for the Pens?

Really … I want my Sid back, but more than that I want this great guy to be happy and healthy. It is just sports (as much as we love it) and when it turns out that it became for good too dangerous for him to play due to his medical condition then I will cry my eyes out but OF COURSE accept it.

BUT … we do not know. And as long as Sid does not retire. As long neither Sid nor Mario and Shero nor some Pens medical committee steps out and says “We are sorry, but it is over.” I will have hope and wear my C. And I will wear it not be selfish and force him back on the ice putting himself in danger. I wear my C to tell him, that he is the captain and that we are right by his side when he needs us in dark days like these and that we wait for him patiently until he come back – or officially steps back.

GO SID!

January 30, 2012 12:55 pm

personally, I enjoyed the hittsburgh crew a lot more than this guy.

10. Jarrod
    January 30, 2012 1:28 pm

All the “yinzers” saying for him to come back now, are the same people calling into the radio shows. Now let me use the BIG BRUSH a little to paint a picture. Who calls into radio shows during the day? More then likely I’m willing to bet your boss would not appreciate you calling into radio shows from work, factory, office or otherwise. I’m sure there are a few knowledgeable people calling in that might be outside salespeople traveling on the road, but I’m willing to bet most are the ones at home on mom’s couch eating Cheetos.

11. Pensgirl
    January 30, 2012 2:07 pm

Because it appears Mr. Phillips needs a tutorial…

SIDNEY CROSBY FAQ

Are you:

A. Sidney Crosby?
    B. a competent, licensed medical professional who has recently examined Sidney Crosby?

If you answered “no” to both A and B, you have nothing useful to offer in terms of either assessing what is “best” for Sidney Crosby or predicting his future. So just watch and enjoy (and, if you are in the media, cover) the Pens team that is actually playing, hope for the best for Sid, whatever that may mean for his hockey career, and keep your damn mouth shut about what he will or should do.

The valid question arising from the latest news is “When did he suffer the neck fracture, and how the hell did his medical team of approximately 3,167 doctors miss it?” Mayhaps the members of the media could spend more effort getting answers on that and less bloviating about what will happen next week or next year.

• Butcher's Dog
      January 30, 2012 6:32 pm

I love you, Pensgirl.

• John Phillips
      January 30, 2012 7:08 pm

To answer your question…

A. No, but what does that really matter?
      B. The ‘Competent’ licensed medical professionals who have diagoned Sid have done little to figure out what is wrong with him.

Not to mention it took 13 months for the ‘Competent’ pros who spend the most time with him to find out FROM ANOTHER OUTSIDE SOURCE that he had cracks in his C1 & C2 vertabre.

Perhaps I could do him some justice if he came over to my wood shed and allowed me to examine him with a ballpine hammer, a blow torch and some 10W30 motor oil.

Nobody knows what his problem is. Don’t you get that? None of the so called ‘experts’ haven’t a bloody clue as to what is slowing him down.

So my analysis, along with anybody else on god’s green earth is just as good at this point.

• Ex-Pat Pittsburgh Girl
        January 30, 2012 8:00 pm

And, it’s just as bad as anyone else’s, too! Just saying.

• Pensgirl
          January 30, 2012 10:46 pm

BINGO! Cookie for you EPPG.

Miss Cleo’s “analysis” would be as valid as anyone else’s. At best the predictions and advice are SWAGs, at worst, bald speculation.

Mr. Phillips, there’s a lot I could jump on but I’ll just pick one thing. You can’t retroactively claim the neck fracture to support your position. That information wasn’t available to you last Wednesday when you published your original statement; it wasn’t part of your rationale. Even now, it doesn’t support any particular outcome (and certainly not one put forth by the mere audience to this saga, which is what we all are, media included). It went from an “unknown unknown” last week to a “known unknown” (h/t Donald Rumsfeld) today. If anything, predictions now are even less valuable than they were a week ago. Again, the valid questions are when did it happen and why did they miss it? We all want to know how it factors into his future, but if they only just found it in the first place, then we all have to just understand that we (the audience) are not going to learn the answer in the near term (if at all).

Ultimately, I would rather engage in equally pointless but far more fun speculation, like how many goals James Neal will score this year, how many opposing players Geno can actually carry on his back at once, or whether Brooks Orpik could stop a puck midair just by staring at it.

• John Phillips
            January 31, 2012 10:54 am

Once again, you stumble on one article I’ve written in the past year about Sid and you think you know me and what I’ve covered regarding his injury.

I felt there was more to what was hurting him. Many in the media wondered if there could have been more to this story, but with injuries like this (and to a superstar no less) teams tend to circle the wagons.

And clearly the neck injuries were suffered back in Jan of 2011. You can’t suffer something like that in November and be healed less than 2 months later. Sorry, it’s not medically possible.

Jump on my back all you wish. Just make sure you grab onto some hair for the ride.

12. John Phillips
    January 30, 2012 2:31 pm

Well Virginia, I am honored that you would take the time to blog about me and the little conversation I had on Saturday with one of your blog viewers regarding good old Sid.

Please let me say this first. I truly hope that Sid can return and play like he once did. It would be a crying shame if he didn’t.

There within, lies the problem. It’s my beliefe that he won’t.

That may be a negative point of view. But there has been little positive regarding Sidney Crosby since January 1st of 2011.

Now this story surfaces that Sid suffered cracks in his C1 & C2 Vertabre. Nobody seems to know when. Throwing a dart at the board would lead me to think it was either suffered at the Winter Classic or on Jan 4th when Victor Hedman smashed his cranium into a plexiglas board.

So now the Kid is suffering concussion like symptoms again + he has the good forturne of knowing his team medical staff didn’t recognize/diagnose this neck injury for 13 months.

It’s downright scary.

All I’m saying is that this guy could easily end up a vegetable if he gets back on the ice in any possible physical state they trot him out there in. If he slightly bumped into a teammate on the ice and it has put him back on the bench, what’s going to happen when he get’s whacked hard by a Victor Hedman or David Steckle again?

This is why I stand by Sid walking away from the game…for at least a full year or two. Hell, he’s only 24. Taking a year or two off to try and fully heal (if that’s at all possible) is what he should do.

But that’s not what most people want. They want him to play. That’s selfish.

If Sid decided to walk away for a year or two, I do believe the fans (most of them) would support that.

As for the name calling, I apologized for lowering myself to do just that. It was early Saturday morning and I had not quite had my first pot of coffee and a pack of Newports quite digested yet. Forgive me.

And for the record, I’m a native of Pittsburgh and have been working in radio/TV since the mid 90’s. If you have not heard of me, well, that’s your loss. I don’t share the same opinions of many others. Maybe that’s bad in this seedy world of corporate, sterilized talk radio. Perhaps I should conform and join the masses, plodding along like all is well.

But I doubt that.

And for the record Virginia, I want to thank you for taking a few minutes out of your day to recap the shakanery and Tom follery I caused this weekend. Despite a rocky start, I thought the conversation between me and the other poster was tame and spoke to our points.

Ah Pittsburgh. Love the city, hate the people.

• bucdaddy
      January 30, 2012 2:45 pm

Tom Follery?

Never heard of him.

(OK, cheap shot. I should be in radio! Ooops, another cheap shot.)

In all seriousness, it’s pretty cool when people who get beat up in a blog take the time to explain themselves in a serious manner. Stick around here, you might like it. Shit gets surreal a lot here.

13. Suz
    January 30, 2012 3:06 pm

Sid was back on the ice today, with Staal & Despres.
    He is going to be okay.

• John Phillips
      January 30, 2012 5:09 pm

Sid has been skaing for a week now. He just happened to skake with a few teammates today.

It means squadoosh until he can take a hit in game conditions on a regular basis.

• Suz
        February 1, 2012 9:22 am

What is this “skaing” and “skake” of which you speak? A new therapy that only you know of?

14. Jim W.
    January 30, 2012 7:54 pm

I think we all know John Phillips best for all the fantastic marching band music that he composed in the late 1800’s and early 1900s. Hell, he even had an instrument named after him, the Sousaphone. Wait. . . that was John Philip Sousa.

I don’t know this guy.

• Ex-Pat Pittsburgh Girl
      January 31, 2012 10:50 am

I played the sousaphone in high school. Wonderful sounding instrument (even with me playing it)! :-)

15. Summer
    January 30, 2012 8:40 pm

Actually, last week, Marc Savard was talking about a return to hockey. I haven’t the slightest if it will happen or not, but if Marc Savard can get better and come back to hockey, it makes me hopeful that Sid can, too.

Phillips sounds like he wants Sid to be done and refuses to allow anyone to even entertain the idea that Sid might be back. It’s OK for Pens fans to hope that he’ll get healthy and be back. Hoping he’ll get healthy and come back =/= demanding that he lace his skates up right now and endanger himself to win a couple of games in the middle of the season.

Phillips also is unprofessional. No matter how much criticism from readers/viewers/listeners might piss you off, you don’t go full-barrel after them, because, after all, you have a mighty big pulpit. You get to voice your opinion on the radio. You have a huge audience. Going after that audience because they don’t necessarily agree with you is really petty.

16. jmarinara
    January 30, 2012 10:58 pm

This. . .

“None of the so called ‘experts’ have any idea what’s ailing Sid.”

. . . is what you call hanging yourself by your own logic. If he’s going to say that not even the experts know what is wrong and use that as a reason why we don’t know what is wrong, then he is also, logically, admitting that he has no idea either. So then why is stating things so emphatically?

And this. . .

“What is truly in his best interest is not playing again.”

. . . is what you call an assumption.

Oh and this. . .

“narrow minded, small brained jabber heads”

. . . is ad hominem.

Sid either will come back or he won’t. He’ll make the decision, not us, so there is no need to worry about it. If he does come back, praise the Lord! If he doesn’t, I wish Sid well and thank him for these past few wonderful years.