Random n’at

1. My Texan sister Tina Fey, as I call her because she has a wicked sense of humor and used to wear Tina Fey-like glasses until she went and got Lasik like the rich bitch she is (she will protest that in the comments, but I know the truth and that is this: bitch is rich), as you know has a hair blog in which she’s growing out her “hideous” hair (I think it’s cute), and I hinted before she also has a mom blog (DEAR GOD, THE HORROR!), and I’ve held off linking you to that mom blog but I cannot hold off any longer (this sentence will appear in the next Guinness Book of World Records under “Most Unnecessarily Parenthetically Profuse Sentence of All Time”).

“The Pioneer Woman Can Suck It” is the title of the post that has already started to go viral and the name of the blog is My Toddler is a Supervillain, and yes, her toddler might grow up to be a supervillain. He’s evilgenius in a fantastic sort of way when he’s your nephew and not your son.

As your son? He drives you to drink.

2. A local woman is the world’s biggest Barbra Streisand fan with boxes and boxes of memorabilia. She even thinks she looks and sings like Barbra. She also admits she would save her Barbra tchotchke’s first instead of her husband if her house ever caught fire.

You must go watch this video.

“This is my life; Barbra Streisand is my life,” she says.

I am not saying this woman is crazy, but she might have a touch of the cray-cray.

3. Let’s check in on Jim Lokay since he left Pittsburgh for Boston.

WHOA!

Jim, Joey Lawrence called and he would like his whoa! back.

Also, lucky Jim is traveling to Indianapolis to cover the Super Bowl and to hopefully put the stink-eye on Tom Brady, by kicking him in the huevos. That’s called a Mexican Stinkeye. True story.

4. Blossom was a terrific show, yes?

5. While we’re being all retro, except for those of you born in the nineties and aughts (is that right? I’m geriatric, so I could be wrong), check out these blasts from the past I found on Pinterest:

And these. Not just cassettes (used to be a thing, whippersnappers), but Memorex Cassettes onto which I taped (you say ‘burned’ now, whippersnappers) lots of Whitney Houston, Debbie Gibson, New Kids on the Block, and maybe some music from the Coreys.

I’m like half a decade from watching Jeopardy with a bowl of hard tack candy, aren’t I?

6. Pittsburgh’s Milk Truck continues to garner national attention.

My son and I saw the Milk Truck outside of the Children’s Museum last fall.

“What’s that, Mom?”

“The Milk Truck! It’s a place for moms to go and nurse their babies.”

“Oh. The roof looks like a giant boob.”

Probably I should teach him a better word for it. Like breasticle (tm @mindbling).

7. Pittsburgh is the sixth most literate city in the country.

Suck it, Portland.

WHAT?

8. Pittsburgh-filmed “One for the Money” is getting destroyed by reviewers and managed only $11 million in its opening weekend. Star Katherine Heigl studied at the school of Don’t Be Sienna Miller and had only good things to say about our city:

“There is no paparazzi in Pittsburgh. We had no problem with that. It was awesome,” Heigl said.

Heigl also loved the people and Pittsburghese.

“A lot of our crew was local and my driver was local. Just great people. Just grounded, down to Earth people. The accent I think is awesome. I can’t do it,” Heigl said.

Let me help you. Down, dahn. Tire, tahr. Power, pahr. Fire, fahr. Grocery cart, buggy. You, yinz. Mayor, Hizzoner Master Lil Lukey Ray Ray.

9. Four Steelers made the ESPN NFL Any Era team.

10. Okay. Gotta go wait for the Dish Network man. Gonna sit on my porch with a sawed-off shotgun. Just for shits and giggles.

1. PA Girl in VA
    January 30, 2012 1:19 pm

#4 – Yes, Blossom was an AWESOME show!
    #5 – I had a Little Professor but forgot all about those things ’til you posted this pic. Thanks for the trip down memory lane!

2. Tina Fey
    January 30, 2012 1:33 pm

I’m SO not rich! I buy my clothes at Sam’s Club, cheat on my taxes and burgle local homes.

3. Tina Fey
    January 30, 2012 1:35 pm

Also, I’m not a Texan. I live in Texas. There’s a very big difference. Starting with my bangs and the lack of Aqua Net in my bathroom cabinets.

• Virginia
      January 30, 2012 3:58 pm

You forget though that many a Yinzer woman has a bathroom cabinet full of Aqua Net with which to cement her mall bangs into place. Maybe the problem is you need some Aqua Net.

4. MN
    January 30, 2012 1:54 pm

I pretty much agree with your sister about Pioneer Woman…Tina Fey’s blog is hilarious! I no longer read the Pioneer Woman blog because it makes me feel inadequate too. I did watch her a couple of times on her new cooking show and have tried numerous recipes on her blog. If you want to set your family up for heart attacks in a couple of years, by all means cook like she does! She makes Paula Dean look skimpy on the butter! I also realized that I am a better cook than she is, but I don’t live on a sprawling ranch with a separate guest house with a cowboy husband and little cowboy children, so you won’t be seeing me on TV any time soon! :)

• Virginia
      January 30, 2012 3:59 pm

I recently found a website that shows where she steals her recipes from. It was kind of eye-opening.

• PA Girl in VA
        January 31, 2012 11:01 am

That’s how I felt when I read an article that tells all about Sandra Lee, including the fact that she doesn’t make up her own “semi-homemade” recipes.

5. bluzdude
    January 30, 2012 1:55 pm

Back in the 80s, when I used to work in record stores, we had those blank Memorex cassette 5-packs stacked up in giant blocks and pyramids. Truly innovative marketing by Memorex…

“Hey, lets take our cheapest, lowest quality blanks, make them clear, tart them up with primary colored shapes and sell them to teen girls.”

“Brilliant! Let’s adjourn for lunch and go out for martinis and blow…”

January 30, 2012 2:39 pm

8. Iron = ahrn. Myron = Mahrn.

A thought that just came to me: Maybe Iron City would become trendy if they spelled it iRon City.

7. Noelle
    January 30, 2012 3:00 pm

House = Haus

8. JenB
    January 30, 2012 3:21 pm

Hey Ginny, today I read that squirrels like to chew up cables, including cables coming from satellite dishes into your house. If the repair guy can’t figure out why your signal is weak, you might want to check the line for damage.

9. inBrookline
    January 30, 2012 3:26 pm

Pioneer Woman must be like Pinterest and David Conrad.

I’d have no idea what any of those things were if I didn’t read this blog.

10. Kathy
    January 30, 2012 4:14 pm

OMG – the Little Professor!! I had one of those and completely forgot about it until you posted a picture!! And Tina Fey’s blog post was awesome — thanks for sharing!

11. Cassie
    January 30, 2012 4:14 pm

I totally share a birth date with Mayim Bialik. (AKA Blossom.) She’s kind of weird looking, though. So I try not to share that information often.

• Virginia
      January 30, 2012 9:12 pm

Do you watch her on Big Bang Theory? She’s amazing. Be proud!

• PA Girl in VA
        January 31, 2012 11:05 am

Mayim has some very interesting theories about and methods for parenting. They don’t seem to be anything I’d subscribe to, but, if they work for her, God bless her. Google Mayim Bialik Attachment Parenting.

• Cassie
          January 31, 2012 12:25 pm

HOLY MAN. “Mayim surprised many last year when she revealed, “My son [Frederick] is almost 2 1/2 years old and he nurses every 3-5 hours during the day and 4-7 times a night. I have not slept more than 4 hours in almost 6 years. My son, however, is healthy, happy, and independent, and I see no reason to wean him.”

I mean, c’mon….I breastfed all my kids, so I get it, but not past a year. There’s something about that that just screams, “GIVE YOUR KID A CHANCE TO BE NORMAL!” After the age of 3, that should be so done. 6?! WOW.

I mean, no judgement…we’re all different in parenting styles, but wow.

• Ex-Pat Pittsburgh Girl
            January 31, 2012 1:11 pm

I don’t think she nurses her a 6 year old. She says he’s 2 and a half. She also says she hasn’t slept more than four hours in six years. I think she has another kid.

• PA Girl in VA
            January 31, 2012 3:36 pm

I don’t think a 2 1/2 year old that still breastfeeds is all that independent. And not sleeping more than a few hours per night over 6 years is due to having 2 children and keeping this feeding schedule.

12. Linda
    January 30, 2012 8:53 pm

Please link to the hair blog. I’d like to see that.

13. Cheryl
    January 30, 2012 9:02 pm

you and your sister both crack me up. And speaking of hair. When I saw you with yours flat ironed I thought it made you look 20 years old. I thought, who is that college girl with your husband?

14. Christine Sigmon
    January 30, 2012 9:55 pm

SO happy you linked Marcia’s blog! I’m her biggest fan!!!!!!!

15. Duncan
    January 31, 2012 7:47 am

I had a Little Professor and a bunch of Memorex tapes – in fact, I could probably find both at my parents house… they never threw anything away and I’ve used their house to store old stuff that I no longer want and or never wanted in my own home. lol

16. AngryMongo
    January 31, 2012 7:52 am

#5 Little Professor! Zoinks! I had one of those ANND the Memorex blue, yellow, red, and clear tapes. I also remember being saddled with only 60 min TDK or Maxell tapes, which was a pain in the arse to try and fit all of Journey’s Captured album. It ran over by about 11 minutes and change.

January 31, 2012 12:17 pm

you can have the little professor. I want my mattel electronic football back!

• Dan (Not Onorato)
      January 31, 2012 2:30 pm

Oh man, I would kill for my electronic football game!

• PA Girl in VA
        January 31, 2012 3:38 pm

I remember that if you positioned your red player/blip either at the very top or the very bottom of the screen, you could just press the forward arrow and go, go, go, go, go and continuously score touchdowns.