An inexact rodent science

Let’s check in on how all the groundhogs did in predicting the spring/winter weather yesterday:

You guys? I’m starting to think groundhogs aren’t real meteorologists.

1. Old Dutchman
    February 3, 2012 1:34 pm

Don’t forget about Cochranton Carl, another Pennsylvania prognosticator. He says “Early Spring”.

2. Butcher's Dog
    February 3, 2012 1:35 pm

What?! Nothing from French Creek Freddie? C’mon, bucdaddy…get your whistlepig’s guess listed with the rest.

Unless, of course, he stayed inside because he realized the real French Creek is in Western PA. Idle speculation on my part, to be sure, but there it is.

3. PG Wodehouse
    February 3, 2012 2:35 pm

If it’s six more weeks of this 60 degree weather we had on groundhog day, count me in.

4. Cassie
    February 3, 2012 4:04 pm

I think I laughed a little to hard on that. Shut your whore mouth…

5. Tony
    February 4, 2012 5:06 am

What was Balzac Billy’s (Phil’s cousin from north of the border) prediction?

6. Dr Kevlar
    February 4, 2012 8:30 am

Groundhogs are the democrats of rodentia – no ability to achieve consensus…

7. Cathy
    February 4, 2012 10:16 am

My Mom’s borough secretary of Punxsy (that’s the shortened version for those of us from that neck of the woods). In the 30+ years of living 15 min from town, I have NEVER been to Gobbler’s Knob and I will never go. I hate the rodent and aim for wild ones with the car.
    Ya know all those dinosaur statues around Pittsburgh? Punxsy does them rodent style *rolls eyes*.

8. MattDC
    February 4, 2012 12:56 pm

Eyewitness report: I watched Potomac Phil on Dupont Circle from my office window. There’s no way he saw any shadow that morning, but the City Council guys decided the weather has been so good they wanted 6 more weeks, and declared it so. After all, this is Washington: when we don’t like the facts, we just make ’em up.

• bucdaddy
      February 5, 2012 10:08 am

When I lived there, legend had it they went to some questionable lengths to ensure it would rain in Waynesburg on July 29. Something about cloud seeding. We wouldn’t have put it past them to pee out of a plane, either.

February 6, 2012 12:43 pm

quoteth virginia: “I’m starting to think groundhogs aren’t real meteorologists.”

neither are real meteorologists.