Random n’at

1. Thank you so much for your donations! 18 hours and we’ve already reached our 25% goal.

One thing that I’ve recently come to understand is how childhood cancer can absolutely ravage a small body.

This post over here is a perfect illustration of that. See young Cole before he got cancer, and then see his photo a few months prior to his death just a few weeks ago, after a one year battle with leukemia.

My brain really has a problem processing that.

2.  Due to Kirby Wilson’s injuries and likely lengthy rehab from burns suffered when his home caught fire, it looks like he’ll not be moving to the OC position because the Steelers new offensive coordinator is Todd Haley.

[Note to editor: Insert something here that makes it sound like I know who the hell Todd Haley is.]

Shit. I’M the editor.

Okay, is this him?

3.  Alyssa Milano, Antonio Brown, and Joe Manganiello (step off!) at a Super Bowl party in Indianapolis:

(Getty Images)

If you stare at Antonio’s suit long enough, you will legit seize.

4.  A man bought a pigeon for $328,000.

No, I’m not just typing in random numbers and commas. That’s REALLY how much he paid.

The only way I’d pay that much money for a pigeon is if it was a Terminator pigeon programmed to annihilate every single one of his brethren on the planet. While pooping diamonds.

(h/t Becky and others whose emails I lost. I’ll give my editor a scolding about that. … SHIT.)

5. It appears the Occupy Pittsburgh protestors are indeed going quietly into that good night, as the camp is reportedly now deserted except for some tents whose owners are AWOL, and one random dude.

If you missed it last week, KDKA had an expose that showed that no one was really sleeping at Occupy Pittsburgh for some time now, except for a homeless guy.

Look, I don’t blame them. Camping for three days is awful. Camping for 100 days is homelessness. Also? RATS.

Some protesters have erected what they call “the ark” from a pile of wooden shipping pallets that were used to keep their tents off the ground. The purpose isn’t clear, but the only animals seen entering or leaving have been rats.

Oh, hell no. The only way I’d camp with rats is if the rats are Terminator rats who are programmed — you see where I’m going with this?

Here’s an AP photo of the Ark:

Hmm. I think they’re off by a couple cubits.

Those of you that know your Bible stories thought that joke was HILARIOUS. CUBITS!

Remind me to tell you my joke about a Pharisee and a Sadducee walking into a bar.

6.  My family and I have been emailing back and forth about the Hoodie Footie pajamas commercial.

YouTube Preview Image

Marshmallow-y soft!

I actually have one sister who admits she would totally wear these abominations.

I won’t tell you which sister said it, but, Princess Aurora.

Whoops.

7. My first self-united husband and future best friend David Conrad has been signed onto a new pilot for NBC called “Beautiful People” naturally.

The sci-fi project, from Cougar Town writer Michael McDonald, is set in a future world in which humans co-exist with life-like androids, known as ‘Mechanicals’.  Conrad will play Jerry, an entrepreneur and genius who is an expert at designing and marketing the sophisticated Mechanical servants.

Sophisticated Mechanicals would be a kickass band name.

(h/t Cari)

8.  Found on Pinterest and I can’t for the life of me find the original source. You know you want to do this for your wedding guests! What a cute and classy way to help guests find their tables at a Pittsburgh wedding.

Just make sure you serve something with fries on top!

1. Joe K.
    February 7, 2012 5:38 pm

I forgot Todd Haley was with Arizona when they went to the Super Bowl. Hopefully he can get more points per game from all the talent the Steelers have at the skill position.

Occupy might have had a point, because the Wall St. – Washington DC axis is a real problem. But their message became too unfocused.

2. Bram R
    February 7, 2012 8:15 pm

Hehe. A) that’s a Trojan horse B) the thermal imaging “no one’s camping there” story is T-OTALLY bs, read my blog and watch the video I posted, it makes it very clear. You can’t see through a Mylar tent with one of those things, let alone a Mylar tent and a 0-degree sleeping bag. Besides which campers were giving Marty guff for bothering them in the middle of the night, hmm, how can he be bothered by no-one?

3. Linda
    February 7, 2012 8:40 pm

I walk past the occupy site everyday. If anything, there are more tents now than before. One guy was actually erecting a new one at about 5:30 today. BNY Mellon needs to go all Frick on their asses and hire some teamsters to come in, rip it down, and get the dumpsters out of there before they even know what hit them. Shouldn’t be too hard considering none of them actually stay over night.

February 8, 2012 12:31 am

6. That thing have a trap door in the back?

5. NicoleinTallahassee
    February 8, 2012 7:49 am

My friends got married at Heinz Chapel and had their reception at the Heinz History Center, and they totally had the little Heinz ketchup bottles with the guest names’ and table numbers. It was so awesome!

6. AngryMongo
    February 8, 2012 8:15 am

8: What, no little bottles of Nutella?

7. Jim W.
    February 8, 2012 8:42 am

See. . . this is why I should get my news here. This morning WTAE was reporting that OP was still in full force at . . . um. . . “People’s Park”, or whatever.

8. Sue
    February 8, 2012 8:47 am

I attended a wedding in Oakland (bride and groom went to Pitt and Duquesne, repectively) and the greeting gift for the out of towners at the hotel contained all Pittsburgh related items. The little Heinz ketchup was one of them. Also, Pittsburgh Popcorn, a map of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh Biscotti, etc. Darn, I wish I could remember the rest. I thought it was such a unique idea!

9. Matt
    February 8, 2012 8:54 am

The cubit joke WAS hilarious. Just wanted to give you a little affirmation.

10. mtjpitt
    February 8, 2012 8:55 am

If anyone interested in getting those little personalized ketchup bottles for a special occasion or just for fun — go to website myheinz.com. You can get different sizes of ketchup/mustard products personalized.

• Erin
      February 8, 2012 11:20 am

Thank you! I order stuff like this for a work event once a year. Last year we ordered the squishy tomato stress ball things – but I think I might prefer this. Will check it out.

11. Christy
    February 8, 2012 9:35 am

You can create your own bottles of ketchup at http://www.myheinz.com

12. Cnik
    February 8, 2012 9:43 am

Bram,

The thermal imager WILL easily pick up a heat signature of a tent that is even slightly warm. So unless the tents were occupied by non-breathing corpses your mylar theory is quite wrong.
    A tent with someone inside of it would show up…unless they are quite dead.

13. Cassie
    February 8, 2012 10:49 am

That poor baby Cole. My heart just aches for any kid who gets a nose bleed let alone leukemia.

Cancer is SUCH a bitch.

14. red pen mama
    February 8, 2012 10:53 am

cubits! *wipes tears from eyes* (not really)

I, too, went to a wedding, in Erie, where they gave out the little heinz bottles as favors. (Bride & groom live in Pittsburgh now.) Loved them!

15. eileen
    February 8, 2012 12:42 pm

When friends or family turn 57 I send them a personalized bottle of Heinz ketchup from their website. It’s only $6.00 including shipping.

16. Bill
    February 11, 2012 12:41 pm

All that Hoodie Footie needs is a pair of bunny ears. As Ralphie’s dad said “Looks like a pink nightmare!”