Hard to look at.

My blog is under some sort of spam attack, as they’re getting through my filter and are even flooding my email now via my comment form. I deactivated commenting on posts older than 14 days, but that did nothing, as the attack simply moved to the most recent post. I’ve been trying to keep up with deleting them, but they’re coming in so fast. I’ll do my best to get them deleted while Woy LAYS DOWN THE SPAM HAMMER OF THOR on those jagoffs.

————————————————-

We’ve kind of slowed down on the donations, stuck where we are for a time now, so I wanted to maybe try to give you another nudge in the direction of the PayPal button over there.  Here is an entry from Genre’s mother that also illustrates the heavy burden a child with cancer carries at all times — worry and fear.

1/2/2010

Genre had a bump on his head. It was obviously a bug bite. (Even though it wasn’t, it looked like a mosquito bite that was swollen a little.) The kids were joking and having a good time, except Genre. He wasn’t joining in the fun and he looked like something was on his mind. I asked him what was wrong and he acted like he didn’t want to tell me at first. I pressed him a little for an answer. He looked at me very seriously and he said, “Momma, do you think that the bump on my head is like the bump they found on [name redacted]?” She is a friend from the hospital and she found her type of cancer with a lump on her chest.

Fighting back the flood of tears raging behind my eyeballs, I assured him that the bump on his head was not a tumor. I promised him that it was a bug bite. He looked at me and smiled with so much relief in his eyes. THOSE are some of the hardest moments. Realizing how much of Genre’s childhood has changed is the really hard part. Knowing that, instead of my son being irritated because his bug bite itches, he is worried that it is a tumor, weighs so heavy on my heart.

If that’s not a kick in the pants to the general direction of your wallet, take a look at a Genre’s mediport, a permanent fixture on a child’s body for as long as they’re fighting cancer, as this is how the chemotherapy is administered into their bodies:

“THAT’S NOT WHAT I COME TO THIS BLOG TO SEE.”

“DID YOU REALLY HAVE TO POST THAT?! I WAS ABOUT TO EAT A DELICIOUS PASTRY!”

I get that. It’s hard to see. I’m sorry if it upsets you.

But that’s what these young children are dealing with, living with, suffering with, feeling. That’s what hurts them sometimes and scares them sometimes … and all I’m asking you to do is look at it.

I think we have the lesser of the two evils.

Imagine that’s a picture of your child. I can’t even.

I so much want to get to that $10,000 so we can move on with the business of making these kids’ illnesses a tiny bit more bearable. I hope you can find a few bucks to join me. And I’m eternally grateful if you already have.

—————————————————

OK. BRB. Going to go destroy some more spammers.

1. Jules
    February 9, 2012 9:16 am

OK, that worked! I am thankful every day for relatively healthy children with no major health issues. Donated for those families who aren’t so fortunate . . .

2. Kendra
    February 9, 2012 9:24 am

I can’t thank all of you who are donating enough. AGH Pediatrics is so honored to be receiving any part of the MR4K money… we get kids from all over the city, some of whom have spent long periods in an adult ICU. Being able to invite their friends to play video games as they recover helps them feel normal again. That’s all any sick kid wants.

Thank you, from the bottom of my heart.

• Dr. Evelina Krieger
      February 9, 2012 10:05 am

And thanks for being an awesome nurse, Kendra! The kids love you.

-Dr Krieger

3. Jill M
    February 9, 2012 9:55 am

Ok, I was meaning to do it for two days now, but this made me stop everything and dig out the debit card. Our family is blessed and my husband beat non-hodgkin’s lymphoma 11 years ago (fingers and toes crossed every day he will remain cancer free). Watching my “other than having stage 4 cancer, very healthy and active” husband go through chemo was hard enough – I can’t even get to the place to fathom watching my child go through treatment. I hope you reach your goal! Thanks for doing this.

4. Kacie
    February 9, 2012 10:16 am

Payday is tomorrow over here, so that’s when my donation is coming!

And GO FALL OFF THE ROBERTO CLEMENTE BRIDGE, you spammy jagoffs!

5. Noelle
    February 9, 2012 10:31 am

Done. Thanks for the reminder. One of the reasons that I give to this is that you really bring us along to the party when you spend the money. THAT feels really good.

• empirechick
      February 9, 2012 11:07 am

Agreed Noelle – Definitely easier to give when you see the actual impact of your donation!

6. PAgirlinFlorida
    February 9, 2012 12:14 pm

Just home from taking sweet man for cancer check up – clean as a whistle and celebrating with $ for the kids!

7. Betsy P
    February 9, 2012 3:58 pm

Those pictures are what prompted me to donate! Could never bear seeing my daughter going through something like that and not having anything to do with her time! This is a great cause!

8. Leenyburgh
    February 9, 2012 7:54 pm

I just donated in memory of Elora Geier, a former student’s sister who died from leukemia. Pittsburgh 360 just aired a story about her tonight, and I hear she was a wonderful person who touched many. Thanks for all the hard work you do, Ginny!

9. jdp
    February 9, 2012 8:04 pm

+$7500 – will the pigeon punting video be password protected to put off the peta people?

10. AB
    February 10, 2012 10:00 am

My daughter was diagnosed with AML leukemia when she was just 14 months old. The year of treatment that followed was very hard in so many ways and it changed my wife and I forever. Putting an infant through chemo is certainly no picnic, but we’re so grateful that our daughter (who is now 8 and doing terrific) has no lasting memory of what she went through.

Donation made. Keep up the good work.