Random n’at

1. Since I gave up on Wii Steve and Fitty about two years ago, I’ve now begun a new exercise regimen … The Jillian Michaels 30-Day Shred.

Yesterday was Day 1.

Today is Day I WANT TO PUNCH HER STUPID FACE IN.

Everything hurts.

2. Go check out the greatest test answer of all time, written about Roberto Clemente by a fifth-grade girl in North Carolina.

Made me cry a little!

Special thanks to Zach at Uprooted Photographer for sending me the picture!

3. It’s about that time of year again, where the potholes return with their gaping maws of devastation, and Lukey declares war on them, and cars everywhere are swallowed whole without so much as a burp.

Don’t ask me how I stumbled on this video of a Pittsburgh pothole in action, but boy did it make me laugh:

YouTube Preview Image

I’m easily amused because I watched that six times and laughed every time.

I know the karma rule and yes, my car is SO getting smote this spring by an epic pothole. All they’ll find left is a lone windshield wiper and an empty Dunkin’ Donuts cup.

4. Holy crap! I’m late to this, but Dottie Sandusky drives like a bat out of hell. I half expected her to just drive like the KoolAid man through the garage door.

The look on WPXI’s Courtney Brennan’s face — “Oh, shit,” is what it said.

5. First, I just want to say that at almost 30-years-old and about to be working with a new offensive coordinator, the Duke of Fug is a giant doofus-butt for saying this publicly:

“I’ve gotten a lot of calls and texts and emails from people around the league, both good and bad about him,”

Way to start things on the wrong foot because you’re sore that your friend is no longer the OC. Who cares if you’ve heard bad things about Todd Haley? Was it necessary to say that in public? To stick your finger in his ribs like that? Is he walking around going, “Well, I’ve heard Ben is a rapist, but I’ve heard good things too. I’m going to wait to form an opinion.”

Having said that, Sean Conboy KILLS it in this post about Big Ben and Haley. MUST READ.

6. Tony Norman pens a fantastic update to the Monessen/Brentwood fiasco.

He touches on Brentwood’s claim that there is no proof of any racist activity occurring during the game.

7. A black vulture from the Aviary is going to be on Letterman.

I hope it’s a live pigeon-eating demonstration.

8. The Make Room for Kids donation button will be coming down tomorrow, so throw you few bucks in if you can and wish to! I cannot thank everyone enough that we have surpassed our goal by over $2,000. What a testament to the generosity of Pittsburghers far and wide. I can’t wait to show you all the stuff we buy with your donations!

9. Lots of you emailed me this link, but wanted to be sure everyone saw it.

Antonio Brown did a cool thing for a Steelers fan.

10. And finally, if you missed out on the vintage, hand-painted bedazzled out the wahoo Pittsburgh skyline denim jacket, the artist has put another one up for sale on Etsy!

I’ve never heard anything scream Chauncy’s so loudly in my life.

February 15, 2012 11:35 am

2. That’s all sweet and everything, and the sentiment is fine, but seriously: A fifth-grader — a FIFTH-GRADER! — writes one long run-on sentence with no capitalization (not even the proper name) and no punctuation and gets an outstanding score for it?

What hath Twitter wrought?

And Butcher’s Dog wept.

4. If I were Dottie Sandusky, I wouldn’t have missed.

And as I stood over the reporter’s body, I would have said, “Thanks for showing everyone what my house looks like so they can throw shit at it, you moron.”

Seriously, what is TV news’ obsession with showing reporters standing in front of buildings?

5. Summer camp can’t get here fast enough for you football fans, amirite? Now you know how Pirates fans feel.

Geez, I’m in a mood today. Must be this massive head cold.

• Mimi
      February 15, 2012 1:56 pm

Bucdaddy, I thought the exact same thing about the fifth-grader’s writing! And then I felt bad about myself for thinking it, because, you know, Roberto Clemente and heaven and helping people and all.

But I have a very vivid memory of my fifth-grade teacher, Mrs. Huber, castigating us for starting sentences with “Because” in response to some homework questions that started with “Why,” and she ripped up our papers right in front of us, so maybe I just went to the School of Tough-Love Grammar.

• Butcher's Dog
      February 15, 2012 7:12 pm

Yeah, bucdaddy, I’m weeping a little. But then I realize this is in North Carolina, and I’ve seen what passes for brains down here just South of there. In context, this was an outstanding response.

I couldn’t possibly make that up.

2. Rachel
    February 15, 2012 12:02 pm

Courtney brought it upon herself for standing RIGHT IN FRONT of the woman’s driveway

3. AngryMongo
    February 15, 2012 12:18 pm

5. To be fair, they didn’t include the entire quote.

“Everybody has an opinion, as we all know, and they’re letting me know what their interaction with him was — good, bad and indifferent. I’ve heard a lot of things and I’m looking forward to meeting him and forming my own opinion.”

That being said, why doesn’t someone set those two up on a blind date like in an 80s movie?

• Julie
      February 15, 2012 3:31 pm

Right, and I didn’t read anything in to him saying “good and bad.” Let’s face it, Todd Haley has a reputation. He’s pissed off a lot of people. Ben would probably get accused of lying or being fake if he wasn’t honest enough to mention that he’s heard both. Sometimes the haters look for any reason to hate him.

• PittinDC
      February 16, 2012 5:27 pm

Maybe because I had read the entire quote earlier as well, I really didn’t find a problem with Ben’s response. Of course he has heard both good and bad about him. I can’t imagine Haley would care – he wasn’t brought here to be Ben’s friend, obviously. If they wanted that, they would have kept Arians.

4. tw
    February 15, 2012 12:52 pm

Side note on Clemente… my daughters are in fifth grade (we live near Philly) and the Clemente story is standard reading in their textbook. Nice to know that his story (which concentrates on his moral character) is required reading for them. Btw he is the only athlete that has been mentioned in their textbooks so far. :)

5. Paul
    February 15, 2012 2:06 pm

I remember my English books in grade school having example paragraphs with information about Clemente. I’m with bucdaddy on this 5th grader’s answer.

6. tehamy
    February 15, 2012 2:26 pm

After Day 1 of the 30 Day Shred, I thought I was gonna die. Wait until you get to level 2 and she tells you that you SHOULD feel like you are going to die. Good Stuff!

7. romalotti123
    February 22, 2012 6:11 pm

As far as the “update” on the Brentwood/Monessen fiasco: that’s an editorial, not an update. The update should be reported now, after the WPIAL investigation. And why aren’t you upset with the Peters Twp/Woodland Hills incident?