Wormhole. What year is this again?

Well, I just wasted an hour in a YouTube wormhole that I found thanks to a link emailed to me by reader Jennifer for this video, a vintage WTAE song “Pittsburgh’s Number 1″ after Pittsburgh was named the most livable city in America in 1985.

My breath caught a little at the sight of Three Rivers Stadium. I bet one day that will happen when I see a video of the Civic Arena.

That led me to these Hello Pittsburgh WTAE promos:

YouTube Preview Image

YouTube Preview Image

YouTube Preview Image

(Pretty sure I saw Lynn Swann with an afro in one of those. Was that him?)

Which led me to this WTAE Holiday Promo from 1983:

YouTube Preview Image

Which led me to this WTAE “Still the One” promo from 1977:

YouTube Preview Image

And now I have to step away from my computer before I get sucked back even further in time.

Shit.

YouTube Preview Image

Wow. Joe DiNardo was very VA-VA-VA-VOOM! back in the day.

Okay, seriously, someone come save me from this wormhole before I find a video of Don Cannon being born.

1. AngryMongo
    February 15, 2012 12:09 pm

boo hiss on the embedding disabled by YouTube.

Wonder how drunk Don Cannon was in some of those ads?

2. JenEngland
    February 15, 2012 12:38 pm

You are welcome. Next up, I’ll see if I can find vintage commercials so we’re stuck with the ear worm “Lebanon Church road Pittsburgh…”

• bucdaddy
      February 15, 2012 2:13 pm

“Next to the mall.”

“Mr. Roth is Mr. Rug …” (c’mon, everybody, the number is …)

“Look at me!”

And someday to be remembered just as cheesily: “We’ll save You a LOTta money!” (Side issue, gentlemen: Alecia, hot or not?)

This got me to rummaging around on YouTube to find this one, which I was disappointed after all these years to discover was not just a local ad:

Maybe it’s because the Iron City Houserockers used to hit the stage to this that I figured it was a Pittsburgh commercial. It’s a great earworm/wormhole song, but it looks kind of racist now, doesn’t it? I bet they have it on power rotation at all the radio stations in Brentwood.*

*–Tars with broad brush.

3. spoon
    February 15, 2012 12:55 pm

1) Wow so that’s what it looks like at Point State Park when the fountain works.

2) Three Rivers Stadium – hey kids, at one point the Pirates would get 60,000 fans at a game.

3) Look at the Holiday video. the dude in glasses at the :19 mark looks like Officer George Frankly from the old show Mathnet – http://travis.webseitler.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/mathnet.jpg

• unsatisfied
      February 15, 2012 3:19 pm

your point #2 got me thinkin’….

as far as I can tell online, the largest crowd to ever watch a baseball game at 3RS wsa 59,568 for the ’94 all star game.

as for average attendance/game, the succos never did better than 25,498/game, which was in ’91.

• bucdaddy
        February 15, 2012 3:28 pm

I was at Game 4 of the 1971 World Series, the first night Series game ever played, and I see the official attendance was 51,378.

Were there really 8,000 empty seats? Didn’t look that way from our perch high in the left field upper deck, but I guess so.

• spoon
          February 15, 2012 4:39 pm

They did add seats over time but also took some out for that mammoth scoreboard in the outfield. I always wished someone would TURK 182 that thing

• unsatisfied
          February 15, 2012 5:46 pm

and, back then, I believe that they counted actual fannies in seats….not tix sold, like they do today (which is BS).

• mmd
          February 17, 2012 12:05 pm

Bucdaddy,

Capacity was 50,235 in 1971. They started expanding in 1981. I think the 4th level seats above the luxury boxes were put in at that time. They also expanded the 2nd level back further into the concourse. In 1984 They added the extra seats in the Outfield/Endzone the jutted out from the second level.

• spoon
        February 15, 2012 4:42 pm

I was at that game and even have the bathrobe to prove it :P

The day Roberto got his 3k hit there wasnt that many in the stands either (bucdaddy was in college then probably). If that happened today people would be beating each other up to get something to sell on ebay from it.

4. JenEngland
    February 15, 2012 1:48 pm

Wait wait wait. At .12 of the holiday one, is that… Sally Wiggin?

February 15, 2012 2:16 pm

Sadly for journalism ethics, these seriously boosterish commercials were not produced by the Pittsburgh Chamber of Commerce.

6. Moxie Bestos
    February 15, 2012 7:33 pm

Three thoughts. One, that IS Sally Wiggin. Isn’t she 12 or something in those old promos? Two, bucdaddy, isn’t Alecia 12 or something in those commercials? Three, the YouTube wormhole of old local news promos has sucked me in. I love David and Peggy, but wow, check out Mike and Edye.

7. PghGrits
    February 16, 2012 11:25 am

Who is singing the 1985 song, the Muppets?

8. KKinLA
    February 16, 2012 2:43 pm

Sigh…I totally had the hots for Don Cannon, drunk or not!