Random n’at

1. A conversation at a family dinner at my parents’ house yesterday:

Princess Aurora of Wexfordhampsmintershire: “It’s cyoo-pon.”

Pens Fan: “Coo-pon.”

Princess: “Cyoo-pon!”

Pens Fan: “COO-pon!”

Princess: “CYOO!”

Pens Fan: “COO! You sound like a yinzer when you say it that way.”

Princess: “It’s CYOO!”

Pens Fan: “COO!”

Princess: “CYOO!”

Pens Fan: “COO!”

Princess’ daughter: “How about that Justin Bieber?”

My son: “He’s a horrible singer.”

Princess’ daughter: [GASP!] [GASP!] [GASP!]

Next week, we’re going to argue over “CAR-a-mel” and “CARE-a-mel” and then let the kids come to blows over Zoobles versus Bakugans.

2. Joe Manganiello appears in a Glamour magazine photo shoot wearing a Steelers shirt:

Amen. Hallelujah. Testify. That’s church. Step off.

[awkward kung fu moves]

(h/t @tehamy)

3.Speaking of [awkward kung fu moves]:

YouTube Preview Image

At :57, you can hear Jabba the Hut laughing. For serious.

4. A 27-year-old singer from Washington County has made it to the top 40 in this year’s American Idol contest.

5. The Pittsburgh Zoo has welcomed a new baby gorilla, which was born at the zoo last week.

(photo via Getty Images)

I WANTS THE PRECIOUSSSSSS.

6. This site is maintained by Burgher Jill and it is getting lots of attention these days … JOGGING JEANS!

Pictures of people inexplicably working out and running in JEANS. For example:

The site is full of awesome pictures like that. Check it out!

(h/t Cynthia Closkey on Twitter)

7. Ben Roethlisberger made it on to Postsecret!

(h/t Jessica)

8. AJ Burnett is a Pirate. He passed his physical. The trade is approved.

But the next two years were not nearly as successful, and the pie-in-the-face custom he initiated to celebrate victories was soon replaced by booing as his losses piled up. Manager Joe Girardi and General Manager Brian Cashman consistently defended Burnett, a veteran right-handed starter, but after a second straight disappointing season, their patience wore thin, as well.

On Friday, after days of haggling over money and names, the Yankees completed a deal to send the beleaguered Burnett to the Pittsburgh Pirates, where he instantly became their highest-paid player.

On the bright side, he’s already used to being booed!

This is the year!

Get on the bandwagon, you guys.

In addition to the margaritas and the taco bar, I’m adding a strolling churro vendor this year!

Ole!

9. Speaking of the Buccos of Suckitude:

“We used to not be the prettiest girl at the dance,” Coonelly said with a laugh. “We’re a little bit prettier this year but we’re still not as pretty as some of the other clubs in the eyes of the dance partners. Like in many areas, we’re making positive strides to get prettier.”

“Not the prettiest girl at the dance?!” That’s putting it mildly, Frank.

We were the four-eyed, mustachioed, flat-chested, pilgrim shoe-clad, puffed-sleeve-adorned, mall-bangy, acnified, ogresque wallflower who couldn’t even get her cousin to dance with her.

Not that I would know anything about that. Ahem.

1. PA Girl in VA
    February 20, 2012 11:22 am

Jogging jeans, huh? I belong to Planet Fitness which has a “no jeans” policy. I’m good with that. But one day I showed up in denim shorts (not cut offs, not Daisy Dukes, not Bermuda shorts or even capris – simple denim shorts) and I was told I could not work out in them because they violated their “no jeans” policy. I unsuccessfully argued that my shorts were NOT jeans and point out that I’d worn those same shorts MANY times and no one else told me they were considered to be jeans. Of course, I’ve worn them since (with a pair of cotton shorts in my gym bag just in case) and no one has said anything since.

• Cassie
      February 20, 2012 1:23 pm

My gym has no such clothing policy that I’m aware of. There’s a guy who runs in a full suit from time to time and another dude who wears his scrubs. I’m personally a huge fan of the lady who wears the leopard print skin tight pants, or the guy who wears the speedo like bottoms.

Typically, though, we’re pretty normal there.

How is jogging in jeans even remotely comfortable? The only pants I can run in have to be made up of stretchy fabric. Jeans…huh. I can see shorts, sure, but full length jeans?

• Scott
      February 20, 2012 1:44 pm

PA Girl in VA….that’s not a policy issue…that’s a fashion intervention. You should thank them.

Jeans shorts??? Come on.

• unsatisfied
        February 21, 2012 12:23 pm

c’mon, pa girl….instead of jean shorts, you should be rockin’ your hittsburgh gear to the fullest. get with it.

February 20, 2012 11:27 am

4. “fun to cheer and vote for a local guy”

See, this (among other things) is what bothers me about these shows. I mean, really, shouldn’t you be cheering and voting for THE BEST SINGER IN THE COMPETITION, whoever you think it is and wherever he/she is from? I’m annoyed by the suggestion that we stuff the ballot box (just like the home towns and states of the other contestants are no doubt being urged to do). There’s something really narcissistic about that to me. “Screw everybody else, especially everybody else who might be better. This is about trying to bring attention to me homies (and, by extension, to me).”

This is why I can’t really get behind your occasional posts to “Go vote for Pittsburgh Pat or Patty, who’s in this competition to do this cool thing.” I don’t reflexively vote for people just because they’re from where I live, not without checking out all the candidates to see if any of them might be worthier. That’s only fair. To do otherwise would be like sitting at the ballpark and punching all-star ballots all night for (random sucky Pirates player’s name here). I can’t imagine why anyone older than 10 would do that.

February 20, 2012 11:46 am

1. Catfight, rowr.

Elaine: “What IS it with guys and catfights?”

Jerry: “Men think if women are grabbing and clawing at each other, there’s a chance they might somehow, you know… kiss.”[

4. Jake
    February 20, 2012 12:04 pm

Hail Wexfordhampsmintershire – I vote “kyoo.”

5. Stephen
    February 20, 2012 12:41 pm

It’s kyoo-pawn. Only hobos and charlatans say coo-pawn.

6. Dan (Not Onarato)
    February 20, 2012 12:54 pm

1. Im going to go with CYOU-pon.

6. If my gym told me what to wear when I worked out, I would flatly state that they have my money so what I wear to the gym should not be of any concern to them.

• Jill
      February 20, 2012 1:11 pm

What I have learned from jean-wearing gym go-ers is that some gym managers/owners claim that the rivets and metal on jeans could potentially damage equipment. I personally think it is unlikely…it isn’t like people are Duke-boying over the weight benches like they are the General Lee.

7. Jill
    February 20, 2012 1:08 pm

Thanks, Ginny, for the JoggingJeans.com shout-out! It is much appreciated.

8. Cassie
    February 20, 2012 1:24 pm

If Joe was wearing a skin tight Steelers shirt, it then could get better. Is it wrong to say I’m a little sad it was baggy?

9. Joe K.
    February 20, 2012 1:26 pm

Do you have any cyoo-pons for some care-a-mel ‘n’at? I could go for an after lunch snack.

10. hello haha narf
    February 20, 2012 1:35 pm

i’m on the bandwagon. bringing the good tequila with me. mind providing a mariachi band to spank me every now and again?

11. Noelle
    February 20, 2012 1:42 pm

I’m fairly certain the Cyoo-pon is a Great Lakes dialect thing. I’m sort of a amateur linguistic enthusiast (Among many other dork interests). Coo-pon however, is closer to it’s French origin.

12. bluzdude
    February 20, 2012 2:10 pm

1. Totally coo-pon. It’s only a kew-pon if you’re buying a Kewpie doll. And who really wants one of those? As for car-a-mel/care-a-mel, they’re both wrong… there should not be any “a” in there. That’s just something some Marketing guy threw into “carmel” to make it sound better. I boycott the “A”.

6. Maybe people wear jogging jeans to make their butts look better. Jeans are magic that way.

13. TripleC
    February 20, 2012 3:52 pm

Hey, I heard the kids at PSU raised a few $’s for children with cancer……to the tune of $10.6mm. Would be nice to see all their hard work get acknowledged.

14. Butcher's Dog
    February 20, 2012 5:33 pm

It’s coo-pon, says the English teacher. Back in the day, that would have ended the discussion. Now, undoubtedly, it continues.

Anyone wearing jeans to the gym isn’t planning on sweating very much. What would the car seat be like on the way home, for instance, if they did? I sweat tons and wouldn’t wear jeans if you paid me. Or paid my membership. Just sayin’.

15. Lee
    February 20, 2012 6:31 pm

Yikes, the slow motion video disturbed me.

16. suzie-Q
    February 20, 2012 7:27 pm

Hold on there just a minute you young whipper snapper. I ran in my first ever 5K (The Pirate 5K mind you)wearing jeans, a jacket, AND a fanny pack. It was cold….it was my first race….yadda, yadda, coo-pon.

Not only did my family make fun of me…now I learn there is an entire website devoted to my fashion statement!!!!

17. Cindy T.
    February 20, 2012 9:08 pm

Your son is absolutely right — Bieber is a horrible singer

18. Short Bus
    February 20, 2012 11:41 pm

I commented two years ago when you began your whole bandwagon thing explaining why you were early by one or two years on your jumping on. There were way too many questions at that time. Well, guess what. While there are still many questions to be answered this IS the year to be excited Pittsburgh. We made a 15 game improvement over the last season and while we still fell terribly short 15 games is whopping! With the addition of proven major league talent, Barmes, Barajas, Burnett, killer b’s if you will, a true leadoff hitter, returning all stars, McCutchen, Walker, a hopefully fixed Alvarez, and that staff of could be aces, the Buccos will be in contention in September. Mark my words. Plus no Pujols, No Fielder, that helps tons. This IS THE YEAR!

19. Dr Kevlar
    February 21, 2012 8:51 am

Sister Carmella, who, with Sister Agnella was part of the Tag Team Teaching Duo in the 8th grade at Holy Christ Almighty pronounced it cyoo-pon. Any dissent was met with Discipline (delivered in the Loving Name of Jesus Christ, Our Lord, Amen) up to and including Lovingly Administered physical violence.

Now, if you really want to start a discussion, the word “color” is actually pronounced “keller” around these parts. My ex used to go berserk when hearing me pronounce color “keller.” I think this was just a reinforcer for me and to this day I still pronounce it that way. Take that, She Who Shall Not Be Named!

As an aside, Sister Agnella (and I am NOT making these names up) signed the 8th grade graduation certificate for the firstborn in my dad’s family, who at the time I was in 8th grade was in her 60′s. Sister Carmella spent our 8th grade year attempting to teach us something called “aliquot parts” which I did not understand then and have no idea what the fudge it is now. I think it is a method for deciding who owes what on the dinner bill.

20. SteelCityMagnolia
    February 21, 2012 9:26 am

So here I am having the absolute Day.From.Hell. I come here to see what Ginny’s up to and lo’n behold, there’s an amazing picture of Joe…. In a Steeler shirt.

Day is much, much improved.

As for jogging in jeans, that has to be uncomfortable. And once you sweat in a pair of jeans, they’re miserable to get out of. The only way I’m running in a pair of jeans is if something with huge teeth or a bigger gun than the one I have is chasing me.

21. Ex-Pat Pittsburgh Girl
    February 21, 2012 3:28 pm

Let’s go Bucs!

22. Suburban Nor'Side Girl
    February 21, 2012 8:00 pm

Adding to the pronunciation argument – - mature: is it ma-chure or ma-toor? how about vase – does it rhyme with face or paws?

23. Bojack
    February 22, 2012 9:33 am

Where’s the Chihuahua jogging in spandex on the next machine??

Switch to our mobile site